Author Topic: CV16-SS project  (Read 9726 times)

Offline Rotek

CV16-SS project
« on: August 31, 2022, 07:09:00 AM »
---RENAMED THE POST PREVIOUSLY NAMED "DASHBOARD" TO CV16-SS PROJECT---
---THIS IS WHERE I WILL POST THE RESTORATION PROGRESS---

Heya Glastroners!

I have just bought a project boat. It is a 1975 Carlson CV16-SS. The boat is not in great shape at this moment, but hey, I said it's a project boat :D
I will be posting photos here from time to time as the restoration progresses.

Unfortunately, the boat came without a dashboard. I have already done some research and it seems that the dash is impossible to find anywhere. So I am thinking about doing something totally different. The plan is to fabricate the dashboard from carbon fiber and not use standard analog gauges. The idea is to make a custom digital dashboard. I know that hard-core classic Glastron fans will not be too happy with this, but I think it can look really cool.
I will most probably use a super-wide 12.3" screen to display the complete dashboard with various gauges. If it turns out that one screen isn't wide enough to accommodate all the gauges I can add a second one to make the dashboard even wider.

I plan on doing the following digital gauges:

RPM
Speed
Battery Voltage
Temperature
Oil Pressure
Fuel Level
Trim Position

Can someone help me with identifying the signals/voltages/resistances that are usually coming to the standard gauges? For example, what voltage should I expect at the Temperature signal wire, or what kind of signal is normally at the RPM gauge?

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 03:19:24 PM by Rotek »

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Dashboard
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 09:58:10 AM »
Its your boat, do what you want.   Biggest concern would be will the new digital dash be waterproof or at least water resistant?   Gauges in boats are in a hostile environment, where even normal auto gauges will fail.   RPM should be standard Kettering type ignition, assuming I/O Merc 140.   Oil pressure is prob 10-80 ohms, temp likely 20-120.  Trim is adjustable and somewhat objective, adjusted at the drive.   I set mine(zero'd) by putting drive all the way in, then adjust the cup to read down.   I scratch built a custom engine analyzer as a thesis project a long time ago.  I calibrated oil pressure using a lab pressure gauge and master cylinder, the temperature sensor using boiling water.   RPM calibrated with square wave generator, etc.    Honestly it sounds like a great project, but in the end, I spend my time boating watching and enjoying the scenery and my company, not concentrating on dash(unless its a new engine of cours).  Given that, insure you have at least two Idiot lights, one for the alternator, which also shows a loss of drive belt causing loss of coolant flow.   The second idiot light is oil pressure, VDO makes a great sensor with both oil pressure gauge and idiot light outputs, so best of both worlds.   Lastly, speedo can be accomplished with gps interface, but a pressure sensor on a pitot tube could work ok if you could research the pressure vrs speed chart.   GPS is far more reliable, pitot's get kicked out of position, clogged by debris, and occasionally issues with tubing arise.    Take pics, would love to see your progress.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 05:48:49 PM »
I think Shawn & Joe made a mold of a CV16SS dash.
I have seen where new boats have interface with engine and drive thru digital black magic .. LOL

Post pictures of your progress !

Offline Rotek

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 06:29:53 AM »
Okay, so here are some photos of the boat as it was when I bought it.
Only 8 photos are allowed in one post, so the rest goes in the next one.

Offline Rotek

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 06:31:23 AM »
Rest of the photos...

Offline Rotek

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 11:20:35 AM »
I think Shawn & Joe made a mold of a CV16SS dash.
I have seen where new boats have interface with engine and drive thru digital black magic .. LOL

Post pictures of your progress !

How do I get in contact with Shawn and Joe?

Thanks

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »
I'm betting they saw the post and may comment back soon.    Looking at the dash, the VDO's are automotive "cockpit" series, used them for 40 years in my VW projects.   Great gauges, but probably not rated for water resistance.  There are many on this site that have completed similar projects, a little digging into the old threads may be to your benefit.     Thank you for saving a classic, post more progress photos as you go.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline nes-cv23

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2022, 12:22:10 PM »
This is what it   should  look like.. I might have one in good enough to use.. let me go through my stuff and see what I can find.. looks like your glove box has been filled in?
84 ssv-151, 76 cvx-16 ss, 77cvx-20 jet, 90 CSS-19, 78 cv-23, 77 gt-150, 2-78 cvx-16, 79cvx-16, 79 cvz-18,  73 cv-16, 74 cv-18, 89 219 Futura, 76 gt-150 jet, 79 cv-23, 02 Gx-225,  1980 intimidator = done!.. 79 hvp175   Now  done?

Offline Rotek

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2022, 02:26:31 PM »
This is what it   should  look like.. I might have one in good enough to use.. let me go through my stuff and see what I can find.. looks like your glove box has been filled in?

Oh that would be more than awesome! Please let me know if you can find it.

Yeah, the previous owner has filled in the glove box opening  >:(. He had some other "fantastic" ideas all over the boat. Now I have to put that all back into the original condition.

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 08:14:44 AM »
The mold is nearly complete, unfortunately it will not have the texture that the original vacuum formed plastic dash had, we were thinking either gelcoat or trying to do something with carbon fiber that might look cool.
Shawn?s CV 16 V8 project is also stalled so we just never got around to finishing the mold. If you can?t find a suitable replacement it could probably be finished at some point. If you need any photos or measurements of what the original hole looks like you could look at either Shawn?s or my thread on our CV 16 V8 rebuild or just let me know and I could look at mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Rotek

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 11:59:04 AM »
The mold is nearly complete, unfortunately it will not have the texture that the original vacuum formed plastic dash had, we were thinking either gelcoat or trying to do something with carbon fiber that might look cool.
Shawn?s CV 16 V8 project is also stalled so we just never got around to finishing the mold. If you can?t find a suitable replacement it could probably be finished at some point. If you need any photos or measurements of what the original hole looks like you could look at either Shawn?s or my thread on our CV 16 V8 rebuild or just let me know and I could look at mine.

I don?t think the texture is a problem. The whole thing can be wrapped in leather or anything that has a nice texture. I actually think it would look even better than the original. What would you ask for the molded dashboard once you have the mold ready?

Cutting the glove box opening is easy, I?ll cut it once I have the dashboard.

Offline Rotek

Re: CV16-SS project
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 03:15:53 PM »
Okay, the work has finally started!
The plan was to first take the engine out of the boat, but the guy who was supposed to help me remove the engine got ill. I have decided I'll start the work anyway.
Today we have managed to separate the hull and the deck. I thought it will be much more difficult than it turned out. Also the foam from the flotation boxes is out. That was not that easy as I thought will be. It was a mess :)
Actually I think it will be much easier to take the engine out now when the hull and the deck are separated.
Here are some photos of the progress. The plan is to continue on weekend.

Offline Rotek

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2022, 03:17:08 PM »
More photos...

Offline Rotek

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 09:03:19 AM »
So here's this week's progress. I have been grinding and removing the remains of the fiberglass strip that went over the hull-deck joint.
It was only one layer and it was not perfectly bonded with the hull. I had to remove it completely so I can put a new one once the hull and deck are put together. It doesn't look like much, but it took me a weekend to do that. I have swept all the dust from the boat to see what still needs to be grinded away. There isn't much left and that's good 😊 . If I?m lucky I should be able to remove the engine next weekend. Fingers crossed.
Once the engine is out of way I'll start removing the floor, stringer and transom and preparing everything for the new ones.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 09:28:38 AM by Rotek »

Offline ces308

• Donate members
  • 616-540-1324
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 09:42:45 PM »
Oh my !!!  What a lucky boat to find someone like you!  All the best ! You got a good start on it my friend! Can?t wait to see it progress! 👍🙋‍♂️🖖🏻
Chris Ambrose
1974 CV-16 115 hp Mercury
2019 Mini Most 10 hp Mercury
1960 Merc200
1964 Merc 110
1971 Merc 200
1964 Merc 39

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2022, 07:37:49 AM »
Your progress is looking great.
on the dash mold, I have no idea what we would need to charge, what is your timeline for needing it and where are you located?

Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Rotek

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2022, 11:04:17 AM »
Thanks, it would go faster if I could work on it more often. I only have time on weekends  :(

For the dash...
It is not super urgent as the boat is in the early stage of restoration. I guess I won't need the dash before February.

So, let me try to understand the situation...
You have the mold for the dash, but you don't have the dash done. You need to make one. Right?
If that is correct, then if you can find some time to make one till February it would be great. Let me know what is doable.
For the price, I really have no idea what would make sense.

BTW, I am in Croatia, but shipping is not an issue as my company works with DHL on a daily basis and I can organize the pickup at any location easily. You would only have to pack it in a decent box and print out the labels that the DHL would send to your email. Once the package is ready the courier will come and pick it up.

Offline Rotek

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2022, 11:06:25 AM »
Is there a service manual for the Volvo Penta 280 outdrive available for download somewhere on this forum?
I know I?ve seen some manuals somewhere, but I can't find the thread now.

Thanks

Offline Rotek

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2022, 11:20:44 AM »
Here's today's progress...
Started the engine removal even though I couldn't get the crane borrowed. Today we have managed to free the engine. Next week I'll have the crane here so I'll be able to get the engine out of the boat finally. Once I get rid of the engine and the outdrive I can start cutting the floor and transom.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2022, 11:24:34 AM »
Some Volvo info here ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=9117.0

I can email you a Volvo AQ270 B - C - D workshop manual, it's on PDF and is 16 megs.