Author Topic: Telemarketer Call  (Read 4049 times)

Offline bellj

Telemarketer Call
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:18 AM »
My wife's cell phone was ringing with one of those goofy unknown numbers like usual, so I answered it instead of ignoring it for a change (yes, I know that just leads to getting on more calling lists). It was of course one of those telemarketing recordings.

It said to press “1” to speak with a “live” operator – which I did. A gal came on the line and said “let’s find out if you qualify for a reduced interest rate”. I told her first that they called and took up phone time as a telemarketer call and that I don’t accept those without charging for those - so I told her that she was in luck because I had quickly grabbed a pad to write down her billable information and that I needed to start with her first name, last name, company…I hadn’t even gotten to that I needed a company address and contact number where her supervisor could be reached - - - would you BELIEVE she hung up on me??

I like to give the benefit of the doubt and figured that being a cell phone that we just lost signal and the call dropped – so I tried to call the caller ID number back a couple of times…but they must be having phone problems today – kept telling me that the number couldn’t be dialed that way and to check the number & try again…but even putting a “1” in front for long distance makes no difference – so I guess they’ll just have to figure out their phone malfunction without me since I can’t let them know…

LOL   :)

PS: I have had employment that required me to be in the telemarketer role, so I do understand how difficult it can be to need money and need to make these calls - so I always try to be courteous regardless - but some are relentless and "no-call-lists" don't seem to always matter to them. I had a particularly aggressive telemarketer one time try to pin me down about being able to charge them for advertising to me – he told me that I couldn’t charge HIS company without having a business license…until I assured him that I do have a fully legal business identity – to which he just got mad and apparently put the phone on muted speaker phone since I could still hear background office noise…I let mine sit off hook too until it finally timed out – figured the call initiated on his end and it wasn’t a cell call, so I wasn’t being charged for any minutes, he was just tying up his line (not that he cared).   ;)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline bellj

Re: Telemarketer Call
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Keeping right in line with this "truth is stranger than fiction" joke thread - I heard today of something else that I found humorous (hopefully I'm not the only one with a weird sense of humor).

This was in our local paper: Teenage bicyclist strikes car

Officers responded Tuesday morning to a report of a teenage bicyclist striking a vehicle.

MARSHFIELD – A teenager riding a bicycle struck a vehicle early Tuesday morning at the intersection of Peach Avenue and Arnold Street.

The 15-year-old Marshfield boy suffered a minor injury to his shoulder but was not transported to the hospital, said Rick Gramza, Chief of the Marshfield Police Department. Officers from the department responded to the scene.

The boy was riding his bicycle north on Peach Avenue when he struck the side of a vehicle driven by a 43-year-old Marshfield woman, Gramza said. The driver was stopped at the intersection of East Arnold Street and North Peach Avenue while waiting to turn south.

The lady who was hit is a co-worker of my wife's. The bicycle took out their side mirror and I think dented the door. Shook her up pretty bad too. Well today my wife told me something that had me bust out laughing. People never seem to disappoint – they will try ANYTHING they can get away with!

Keep in mind that not only was the responding officer scolding the boy for riding on the sidewalk, not wearing a helmet, and not stopping before crossing, but he assured him that he knew it was his fault because he hit the side of the car (middle) rather than being hit with the front. One of the crew where they take this car to be repaired also witnessed the boy going down the sidewalk “a-hell-a-scooten”!

Well apparently the mother of this boy called my wife’s co-worker’s husband and wanted to know how they wanted to handle this! She wants THEM (the people who her son hit with his bicycle) to pay for his front tire/wheel/bicycle damage and take care of his medical bills!! Can you believe that one??

He told them he guessed that she'd need to talk to their lawyer since there was significant monetary damages to the side of their car that someone was going to have to pay for too.

All I can say regarding the kid’s mother is “WOW”!!!   LOL    ;D
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
Keeping right in line with this "truth is stranger than fiction" joke thread - I heard today of something else that I found humorous (hopefully I'm not the only one with a weird sense of humor).

Well apparently the mother of this boy called my wife’s co-worker’s husband and wanted to know how they wanted to handle this! She wants THEM (the people who her son hit with his bicycle) to pay for his front tire/wheel/bicycle damage and take care of his medical bills!! Can you believe that one??

He told them he guessed that she'd need to talk to their lawyer since there was significant monetary damages to the side of their car that someone was going to have to pay for too.

All I can say regarding the kid’s mother is “WOW”!!!   LOL    ;D

This does not amaze me in this day and age. A lot of parents think their kids can do no wrong even though they have.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »
Similar situation, about 20 or so years ago.  A friend and I were on our way home from fishing … we rode our bicycles there, so we each had a fishing pole in one hand, and a tackle box in another.  We were riding in the street, where we should have been.  The cross street we were approaching had a stop sign, we did not.  A woman in a Cadillac pulled well past the stop sign before she stopped  -  had she run the stop sign, things would have been fine.  But she stopped, and my friend could not grab the brake levers with his hands full and hit her car right where the front quarter panel and door meet.  He slid across the windshield and dropped to the ground on the other side of the car.  My friend's mom was sued for $5,000 to cover damage to her car.  We were told later that we should have said she did not stop, but we were honest kids and said she did stop, so it became his fault that she stopped with the front end of her car very much into the path of traffic.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150