Author Topic: Some customers  (Read 5318 times)

Offline V153

Some customers
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
Gotta share this with someone(sorry): Customer last week brought me a nasty bent up, oxidized 3 bow bimini frame to recover & we agreed on a price. So I straighted it out best I could without breaking it & made the new top. Managed to untie the 'length adjustment knots' in the straps & replace the broken plastic buckles w/ss as well. Guy was s'posed meet me at the shop @ 9am today to pick it up. Called me at 10 after 10 said he'd be there in 5 or 10 minutes. 20 minutes later he arrived, entourage in tow. The cast included his obese mildly tattooed daughter, her skinny wildly tattooed boyfriend, their crying evidently diaper deficient baby, and a barking black lab. Then the real fun began.

After asking if I take a credit card, which I make plain to all my customers from the start that I don't. A few phone calls were made & I was informed that someone would be there shortly with a check. As we awaited the courier I was fortunate enough to hear some fascinating tales about the family history. Thankfully the daughter, son in law, stinking baby, and dog retreated to the truck. Which all the while was belching oil smoke from the exhaust btw. Though apparently the A/C still worked.

'Bout 20 min later an elderly woman showed up in a beat up Lexus. She looked a lil confused to me & my suspicions were confirmed when it was discovered that she'd arrived with a check book containing no checks. So she was sent back to base to retrieve a fresh checkbook. It was at this time, due to impending asphixiation, I asked that the running truck be moved to the other side of our parking lot. As we re-awaited the womans return I was again regaled with some simply amazing stories.

While waiting for the second coming the guys phone rang. I'm thinkin' "Oh great the old lady wrecked on the way home, or can't find her checkbook." Turns out it was his fat daughter calling from the truck 15 feet away wondering when they were gonna get to Subway for lunch? Finally the sugar mama returned with a check. Drawn on a local bank. Find out if it's any good monday.

Y'know I try not to be critical or judgemental of other people. I really do! But sometimes ya just gotta ask: WTF?!   

'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Some customers
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:46:07 PM »
If the check clears ... This will be a funny story ... Fingers crossed for ya Doug ...

Offline djyox

Re: Some customers
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 06:51:30 PM »
If you have a smart phone you can take credit cards by using square. Its free to sign up, and free to get the credit card swiper deal. Its 2.75% charge to you to take cards, so you could pass that onto the customer.

I almost never take cash with me, and I know a lot of others don't as well.

If you're interested, check it out here: https://squareup.com/

I should add, I don't work for them or get paid to advertise or anything. Just used the product, and its kinda slick. Found the app on my android phone and tried it. I'm sure its cheaper to sign up to an actual program to take cards through the bank, but this thing is nice for just one or two CC per month or so..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:53:12 PM by djyox »