Author Topic: CVX style side emblem issues  (Read 7434 times)

Offline wiliermdb

CVX style side emblem issues
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
Anyone have any issues with these emblems from the outfit down in Florida. (listed under the supplier heading)

This weekend was the first I've had my CVX out in some serious sun and heat and the darn letters started to fall all the backing plate. Not really pleased after spending $80 a pair and they start coming apart in the heat.

I'm going to email the guy down there and see what we can do. One side of my boat is a CAR SON now and a couple of the other letters are starting to let go.

Marc

Offline Shrom CVX-18

Re: CVX style side emblem issues
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
Anyone have any issues with these emblems from the outfit down in Florida. (listed under the supplier heading)

This weekend was the first I've had my CVX out in some serious sun and heat and the darn letters started to fall all the backing plate. Not really pleased after spending $80 a pair and they start coming apart in the heat.

I'm going to email the guy down there and see what we can do. One side of my boat is a CAR SON now and a couple of the other letters are starting to let go.

Marc

'
I hope mine don't do that. I just ordered a set. ???
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:00:30 PM »
I had them on my old CVX16 &  also have them on my CVX18 currently. No issues so far. Did the whole letter fall off or just the silver surfacing? Let us know what happens. I would be surprised if they didn't give you new replacement emblems. Sounds like you got some defective ones.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
The entire letter fell off.  After meeting Mark at Lake Austin and being in the sun and heat for about 6 hours you can twist the letters and just about peel the entire emblem off the boat. It's as if the tape used is not good for heat situations. It's been under my carport for about 6 hours now and the hull is pretty cool to the touch and you can't move it. If I move it out to the sun for about an hour they will start to loosen up.

I emailed the vendor to see what can be done.  I'll keep the group posted.

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »
Is this on plain well-cleaned gelcoat or has it been waxed or treated with any other product?
Elliott
'64 Skiflite 142, '64 Evinrude Lark VI 40hp Selectric.
('59-'62) Wizard Bolero Imperial 15, '67 Evinrude Lark IX 40hp Selectric.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »
Gel coat was cleaned very well but that's not the main issue. The main issue is the CARLSON letters are applied with thin two sided tape to the black backing plate. After being in the sun for about and hour I can take two fingers and the letters will move and if I take a fingernail and pry with very little effort the letter will pop off.

Offline badgercarlson

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:23:22 AM »
I also had a problem with the emblems.  After having them attached to my CVX 16 for about one week, the entire emblem (not individual letters) started to come off.  I told a friend that owns a body shop and he re-attached the emblems with a thicker double sided tape used to adhere emblems to cars.  No problem since. 

Offline MarkS

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »
thicker double sided tape used to adhere emblems to cars.  No problem since. 
Probably 3M brand = No Problems, IMO.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »
Received a reply from the supplier and he stated that he had a bad batch of tape and I probably got a set with the bad tape and will send me a new set soon.

Offline badgercarlson

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
It just so happens that I just spoke to my friend at the body shop that re-attached my emblems.  I said "what was that thicker tape you used?"  He said it is a 3M product that is used primarily to attach body side moldings.  He said it costs about $30.00 per roll but suggested you stop by a body shop and see if they will sell you the amount you need.  Glad you are getting a new set of emblems.  If they have that thin tape on the black backing plate, I would get the thicker 3M tape.  I am not the only one that had this problem.  You don't want to the entire emblem to come off while trailering or while on the water.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:56 PM »
You can find the 3M trim tape at most of the auto parts houses. Autozone, etc. Usually 3/8 - 7/16 wide and gray in color on about a 3 foot roll.

Offline badgercarlson

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
It would probably be less than $30.00 too.  I would think that a body shop would buy a big roll of the tape.

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
And if you're lucky, they might have some roll-end scraps that they'd just give you.
Elliott
'64 Skiflite 142, '64 Evinrude Lark VI 40hp Selectric.
('59-'62) Wizard Bolero Imperial 15, '67 Evinrude Lark IX 40hp Selectric.

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:02:10 AM »
That's good to hear they are sending you new emblems. Until this thread I didn't realize that letters were individually held onto the backing plate w/tape. Guess I thought they were machined from one piece of plastic.

I also had issues like Badger Carlson with the emblems coming loose on my CVX18 due to the hood flexing when I opened and closed it. Thicker double sided tape did the trick. You can also buy 3M tape at any Target or Walmart type store.

Despite the small problems, I am sure glad these are available. They really dressed up both my boats and I like the fact that you can get them without the rivet holes. I added a blue and red vinyl strip on mine to give it more of a factory look.  

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
Can't wait to get mine ;D I wish my paint looked as good as your Kip...
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »
That's my old CVX16. Nice boat, but once I got the CVX18 the honeymoon was over! ;)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
I still kick myself for not buying that CVX ...