Author Topic: Another day, another Carlson...  (Read 63725 times)

Offline wexrocks

Another day, another Carlson...
« on: June 11, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »
well, I've done it again. just couldn't resist it. it was about 1 1/2 hours away, and the deal of the week, for sure. I've been watching for one of these and missed a few, so I figured I better just get it. turned out to be in pretty good shape, interior needs a little attention, but will likely just redo it at some point, exterior is real nice and should clean up and buff out very nicely. outdrive was recently rebuilt, and it has alot of new items (starter, alternator, water pump, coil, distributor, and so on). only issue is what the owner described as a rod knock (or something). said he stopped running it so that he would still have a good core to rebuild. it's a 270hp Magnum, and I won't know till I get it apart if it can be refreshed, or needs to be totally redone. also came with a nice roller trailer, but unfortunately I had a bearing fail on me coming home. I was getting close to home, and was near a friends house, so it's staying there until I get the bearing fixed.

all in all, a very nice project with alot of potential. of course, Shrom really lucked out here because I just sold him a nice 350 just a few days ago that would have dropped right in here! lucky dog, Shrom... lucky dog.  ;)
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
Re: Another day, another Carlson...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 06:39:15 PM »
WOW !
You got a Beauty there Steve .. just for a little pocket change I'd built this roller vortec for you to put in that one .. those things were a 60+ mph boat off the showroom floor ya know.
I have one of those coming in for a fall project, I'm anxious to get that baby in the shop.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »
Good score Steve !
Deep V should ride pretty good at 60 mph.
Cuddys come in handy with the ladys ... port a potties.

Offline MarkS

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »
Looks like a great find Steve, congrats!   ;)
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 09:25:13 PM »
well, we'll see if there's enough room for the porti-potti. looks a little tight in there, but I'd like to have one, so I'll see if I can make it work.

Looking forward to getting this motor apart to see what I've got, and what it will take to get it rolling again. honestly, if I get this motor straightened out, it should be water worthy, so I may get to enjoy this one this year. I love simple projects! the rest is simple cosmetics. the CVZ-19 has been treating me well, but considering how many Carlsons I have in the back yard, it would be nice to have another one that I can run if I want to. OleRed has offered to put together a good runner if I need it, and I certainly trust his work, so if this is more than a refresh on this motor, I may be importing an "OKC" motor and gettin' out on the water. I'm hoping for somethin simple, but we'll see.

just glad to have one of these in the collection. long before I started collecting Glastron/Carlson boats, I saw a CSS-19 advertised, and thought it was the coolest thing. I've been watching for them since, and considering the deal I got on this one, I couldn't be happier to have it, no matter how long it takes to get it out on the river!  ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
Sweet! Another project but small(er). Now is this going to take you away from the Scimitar? You are getting quite the "collectable" collection!
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
Rosscoe, this shouldn't distract me too much from the Scimitar. I'll have the motor out this week and look it over, and when I get that straightened out, I'll get it back together and go run it... shouldn't be too involved. the Scimitar is a much bigger undertaking, but I am still hoping to have time soon to split the hull and get a new structure in that one, so I can start puting it back together.

went over to my buddy's house today (where the CSS is currently sitting) and took the hub off the trailer. the bearings came out in small pieces, and the axle is a bit chewed up. getting new bearings tomorrow so I can bring it home tomorrow night. its just gonna trash the bearings again, but it'll get it home. I'll get a new axle when I know the boat is ready. my neighbor has the overhead crane that I've been using for all these engine pulls (easier than using my forklift) so I'll talk to him and see when it will work to pull it, then I'll rip it down and see what I got. with any luck, I am hoping to be puting this motor back together soon, but it will all depend on what's actually wrong with it, and if it needs any machine work, and how long that will take... I am gonna get thru this project quick regardless of what it needs. just don't want another one sitting that doesn't run, and I am really anxious to run a CSS.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »
lol I better keep an eye on my engine...haha j/k Steve. I am very appreciative of you selling me that 350. I have yet to get it on the water but running it on muffs. Its seems strong... ok enough I don't want to rub it in. I do feel lucky. You have helped me with selling me the engine, plus spending a evening with me tearing it down. If your engine doesn't need any machine work. We can have it done in no time. Put a new oil pump in for good measure. I will be gone the next couple weeks but if you don't have it done before then I am more then happy to give you a hand.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:07:39 PM »
thanks Shrom... I'm gonna try to get it out this week or this weekend, and tear it down to see what I have. I'll let ya know what I find. did you run a batch of oil thru that motor and change it like I told you??? don't you waste that good motor!  ;D

anyway, got the trailer straightened out (needs an axle, but it's home now) and finished the trip home. so now it's here, gonna look it over tomorrow and see how far the previous owner got with prepping it to pull the motor, do whatever else needs done, and hopefully I can get it under my neighbors jib crane this week. it's usually a five minute job because I prep for it, and five hours talking about it (which requires a few beers). it's just easier than using my forklift, and allows more control, which is especially important with that radar arch in the way!

wish me luck, I'm hoping the "tap" is a collapsed lifter, or something simple... we'll see...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
thanks Shrom... I'm gonna try to get it out this week or this weekend, and tear it down to see what I have. I'll let ya know what I find. did you run a batch of oil thru that motor and change it like I told you??? don't you waste that good motor!  ;D
lol cool, keep me posted. And yes. I put cheap oil in it and ran the oil pump with a hand drill for a while. I let that oil drain back into the pan. about half hour later ran the pump again. Then I drained that oil out. ( which still looked brand new!) changed the oil filter. and put new oil back in. This one has great oil pressure! and vary well lubricated. We let the valve covers off and adjust the valves once more while it was running.  I could see the oil being pumped up through the rods. What a great sight!  ;D
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
pulled the motor tonight. junk. cracked block. kinda what I expected...

so, I am currently talking to an engine building company in Maine. reputable shop with good reviews, and great deals. so far the deal is that they will ship me a reman Magnum motor short block (steel crank, H beam rods, Hypereutectic pistons, good bearings, etc.) minus cam and timing chain/gears. I will use my heads (once I check them over), have a custom grind cam done from Olered's guru, gear drive, and reinstall the factory Holley intake, and whatever carb/jetting the cam guy recommends, and dial in from there. while the motor is being put together, I'll wetsand and buff it out, touch up the interior, and get it ready to put back together.

all in all, should be a 2-3 week project, and shooting for the 300-310hp mark with the custom cam. considering that most claim a potential 65mph stock (270hp) with the right prop, I am hoping to push the 70 mark, but running good and 65+ is where I want to be.

plan is to wrap this project up quick, enjoy it, and back to focus on the Scimitar... wish me luck!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »
update...

today I brought home a fresh 383 stroker for the CSS! it has an Eagle crank, full roller valve train, World Products Sportsman II heads, 1.6 roller rockers, MSD distributor, high torque mini starter, etc. it's fresh, and about half what I would have paid for a stock reman motor, with ALOT more power, so I figured this was the way to go...

gotta swap accessories, etc. over and install brass freeze plugs, hoping to drop it in next week some time, possibly fire it within two weeks. it has a mild cam now, and I'm going to leave it alone and just get it running and on the water. I may do a custom grind cam over the winter and thru-hull exhaust and really open up the potential of this motor, but I just wanna get some "fun" time in this season with it. I did a little buffing on the boat the other day, and it looks like this thing is gonna clean up REAL nice! hoping it all works out that simple, we'll see...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »
How about we drop it in my boat...to make sure it runs ;)
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
Ha,ha... good one Shrom!  ;D Ya know, I was thinking I messed up selling you that 350, considering I found this boat 3 days later, and needed a motor!  ::) but like I was saying to you the other night, I think it all worked out for everybody, cause you got a good powerplant and a pretty big step up in horsepower, and if I had kept yours, I wouldn't have been looking, and wouldn't have found this good deal, and it's gonna take a few more ponies to get this CSS moving than your CVX,so... yeah, looks like it all worked out.

I am hoping the cracked block is the extent of the issues with the motor, as I would like to keep the forged crank, rods, heads, etc. out of the Magnum motor as parts to begin puting a motor together for the Intimidator, but we'll see.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »
well, as these stories often go, this project is not moving as quickly as I had hoped. when I started getting the 383 ready to drop in, I found a few things I didn't like. first, since I had to change out the single plane high rise intake for the Holley dual plane that I was going to use, I pulled up the intake and found a pushrod laying in the lifter valley. odd thing was, the motor wasn't missing any. this got me thinking that perhaps the guy who built this motor may have been a bit careless, or worse. I was looking things over while I had the valve covers off, and down at the bottom edge where small pools of oil often lay, I stuck my finger in the oil to see what it felt like. there were small pockets of sludge, and in bright light, it was shiny gray sludge. so much for my "fresh" 383. so I tore it down completely. bearings didn't look too good, and afterpulling the pistons, I realized that they used stock 350 pistons for this 383, they shaved the tops of the pistons down for deck clearance, and apparently didn't clearance the skirts properly, so the crank caught a skirt and snapped off a chunk, which got turned into millions of engine destroying particles. so... I kept the World Product heads and the block, and junked the rest. the block went to the machine shop (great local guy, and has done alot of good work for friends of mine over the years). it has now been dipped and cleaned a few times (he's thorough!), bored, and cleaned again. it's getting a new Eagle crank, new rods, pistons, and so on. not taking any chances! once all the parts get here, it will be assembled to check for clearance, and will finally start to go back together. really wanna run this boat this year... wish me luck!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
Bummer Wex!  But...at least it gets done right this time around.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 09:13:22 PM »
YEP ...
Now ya know it's done right !
Peice of mind is priceless ...

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
That bites! Did you contact the seller of that "fresh" stroker by any chance?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 05:41:03 AM »
That bites! Did you contact the seller of that "fresh" stroker by any chance?

well, I considered that... and my first thought was to take it back in pieces and demand my money back, but, I have a feeling that situation would have gone badly, and I'd be locked up right now, because my temper still manages to get the best of me once in a while. Honestly, by looking it over and having talked to him when I got it, I think he truly got ripped off by whoever built the motor, and didn't even realize it. If I hadn't torn down the motor, I probably wouldn't have known anything was wrong until it flew apart, so I really think he didn't know. and, I still got way more out of it in parts than what I paid, so it's not a loss at least. And, it has inspired me to build this brand new roller 383, which I'm pretty excited about. I will say this, after my last few engine experiences, I will not buy another one without completely stripping it down in front of the seller!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline MarkS

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »
Awesome attitude on the deal Wex, we're proud of you!  (Just soo glad it didn't hand grenade on you!)  Take sour grapes and make some wine, LOL.
Mark
1978 SSV-176