Author Topic: Another day, another Carlson...  (Read 63737 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Re: Another day, another Carlson...
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
I just couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one. I'd have to call and be professional about it and just let him know what was found and that you're having to spend x-number of $$ to get it fixed. Be professional about it. Nothing worse than buying something on somebody's word to find out that you have to invest a bunch more into it than expected.

At least now you will know that it's done correctly. Peace of mind it great and beats paddling any day.

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 10:31:21 PM »
I still got way more out of it in parts than what I paid, so it's not a loss at least. And, it has inspired me to build this brand new roller 383, which I'm pretty excited about. I will say this, after my last few engine experiences, I will not buy another one without completely stripping it down in front of the seller!

So sorry you have to go to that length to get what you expected Steve, but, like I told you, I paid a Lot more than that for the parts to build mine, and let me tell ya this, you got over Twice your cost in parts for your money, and this too,  I have spent over $500 in the last two days in spark plugs, gaskets, lifters, push rods, stud girdle's, oil, filter, just a few more "nic' nac's".  I got all the valve train accompoished today, Barb came over and done the hard work, I just kinda got to do the easy stuff, she rotated the motor, torqued the head bolts, aligned the guide plates, rockers, torque'd the screw in 7/16 rocker arm studs,  I think she felt sorry for me operating with one hand, she's a nice girl ... So  I'm told. 
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
Olered,
sounds like you've got quite a good assistant there! Never seems to be enough time in the day, and I've got PLENTY of projects, so you tell Barb if she's lookin for somethin to do, she can jump on 95 North and head for PA, I'll keep her busy!  ;D
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
Just a quick update... The block is completely done, finish honed, cleaned again, etc., and assembly/clearance check of the bottom end has begun. Cam is on it's way, decided on a new Edelbrock carb, and soon will be ordering a set of EMI Thunder aluminum manifolds. Taking the rest of the engine pieces to the shop tomorrow, and this motor will be together by the end of the week. Talked to my neighbor about getting it under his crane to drop the motor in, and it looks like that will be happening next week. After talking to the cam shop, the machine shop, and everything I've read online, this motor should end up being in the 410-425hp range. That oughta get the job done... ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
" 410-425hp range "
Let the horse power wars begin ...
LOL ...

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »
" 410-425hp range "
Let the horse power wars begin ...
LOL ...

good one Gregg  ;D I started out in this project with the intentions of rebuilding the stock Magnum motor, maybe going a little more cam for a few extra ponies, and dropping it back in. well, the cracked block scrapped that idea, the "good deal" on the first 383 got me thinkin "what's a little more power, since it's available and cheap", then in the process of rebuilding this 383, it dawned on me that it was gonna cost pretty much the same to go mild or wild, since I already had some pretty good performance parts from the 383, it was really gonna come down to a different cam making all (or most) of the difference, so... that was all the justification I needed to go nuts!  ;D watching a few videos on youtube of a CSS-19 blowing by at 75-80 didn't help much either! so yeah, I decided not to wait for the Scimitar to be finished to have a hotrod. after a few expensive tankfulls of gas (and especially if I start breaking parts!) I may decide stock was the way to go, but it should be fun!

I had considered getting some Dyno time on it before puting it in the boat, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that with the advice I've gotten, I'm confident that the setup will be pretty much "on" when it goes in, and it'll just take a little fine tuning from there, plus the fact that dyno tuned may not always be tuned to the water, hull, etc., and I also figured knowing exactly how many HP it is won't make it go any faster!  ;)

and Gregg, I know you were just kidding about the horsepower wars, but if there were any truth to it being some sort of a competition, then the "big dogs" of horsepower around here better quit spendin' so much time tellin' me how to make it faster! (now look what ya did Olered, ya made the "horsepower wars" guys mad!)  ;D

anyway, I've combined all this good advice in the hopes of a solid, dependable runner, so wish me luck, it's all nuts and bolts from here...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 08:29:29 PM »
Oldred is a bad influence on use all !   .... LOL

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »
Got a few toys headin this way in the mail to help finish this motor off, and after watching Olereds video of his 383 running, I'm getting excited about getting it done, his sounds awesome! There are alot of similarities between the two, and a few differences that are a little more here, little less there, that pretty much balance out. Would be interesting to dyno the two and see where each falls throughout the rpm range. Anyway, I think I may have a name for the CSS... "Equinsu Ocha". Anyone know (or care) where it comes from? It's an example of my somewhat juvenile sense of humor.  ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline 76bayflite

• Sean P. 1976 V173 1974 CV16
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
Ace Ventura 2...hahaha

Offline cvx16

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 01:52:29 PM »
Looks like a great project!  I wish I had your knowledge and know-how on the motors!

I also love those CSS models.   I've been watching them come and go for sale for years.  Always drooling over them.   Haven't ever been able to convince myself that the 19' would give me enough additional space over the 16' CVX I've already got.  And I don't have the coin to spring for the twin 454, 28 footer.  Although, I consider that 28CSS on my list of dream boats to own someday!

Looking forward to seeing your finished project!!   Thx for sharing!
1986 CVX16 w/ Mariner 115hp

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
Anything new with the stroker?
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »
cvx16,
I certainly have my hands full with other projects, but I have been watching for one of these for a few years now, missed a few and turned down a few, waiting for the right deal. This one came up cheap about two hours from home needing a motor, so I figured this was it, and since the rest of the boat needs very little, I put the others on hold to finish this one. It has a little more room to move around, not alot more, and a small cuddy, but I would think the bigger difference would be the weight and hull design. Made for a little rougher water, and while it does take alot more power to move it, it's a bit more stable at higher speeds. I wanted something stable yet light as a platform for a hot rod, plus I like the style, so I decided to go with it. The Scimitar I am building will have more power, so when it's done, I'm not sure that there will be a good reason to hang on to this one permanently, but that will depend on how attached I get to it!

Shrom,
the bottom end is done, the heads are done, and everything is here other than the carb, which is on it's way. Should go together next week, and in the boat. Gonna fire it in the boat, and if all goes well, start putng the rest back together, get the drive on, and all that. Still deciding on exhaust, found a good deal on new EMI Thunder aluminum manifolds, but also found an even better deal on almost new cast GIL Offshore's... So, got a decision to make...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
Hey Steve .. I'm wondering about these manifolds myself, hold off on your decision for a bit, or give me a call, could be an issue
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 10:15:41 PM »
Went for a road trip today and picked up the new exhaust. I was concerned that with this much cam, reversion may be an issue, if I went with a standard style riser. I ended up going with a beautiful set of Gil Offshore aluminum manifolds, with 4" chrome tails. The advantage to these is a nice smooth mandrel bent curve, instead of the sharp elbow of a standard riser, it's about a 14" long pipe, and the cooling water doesn't mix with the exhaust until the end of the pipe, eliminating the chance for reversion. Plus, I tend to prefer the sound of 4" over 3", but that's just me. Got them for what I consider to be a steal, along with a few extras, so I'm real happy with them! The machine shop says they want to fire it up this weekend on a stand... if that happens, and all goes well, should be lowering it into the CSS next week! I'm getting excited, it's getting close...
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 10:24:11 PM »
that sounds good Steve ... thos manifolds are working with big cams in big blocks for sure, you should be safe.  I didn't get the heads back today, Maybe tomorrow, we'll see,  but I have done a little grinding, polishing on the EMI thunders I have, to help direct the water to the bottom of the exhaust cone, that could have been part of the problem, they didn't clean that up very well, like None.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 08:44:49 AM »
Going today to the machine shop to fire up the 383 stroker, and bring it home. It's finally done! :-) I'll video it, and get some pics, so that I can share. Wish me luck!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
Good luck Wex !
Luck has been in short supply this year ...

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
Git-er -done  Steve,  I'm anxious to see that baby busted off myself
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
What exactly is a "stroker" anyway?
Elliott
'64 Skiflite 142, '64 Evinrude Lark VI 40hp Selectric.
('59-'62) Wizard Bolero Imperial 15, '67 Evinrude Lark IX 40hp Selectric.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
I beleive its a bored out 350 small block with a 400 crank? Longer stroke, hence, "stroker". Plus all kinds of other goodies that are not necessary to a stroker...I think. I'll let Red and Wex correct me if I am wrong.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag