Author Topic: Shorty is alive ;)  (Read 6478 times)

Shorty_GT-150

Shorty is alive ;)
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:06:23 AM »
So, I bought my house on July 14th, paid for. North Minneapolis, right on the edge of Robbinsdale, two blocks off Theodore Wirth Parkway.

Not a perfect neighborhood... kinda on the edge of the 'hood' .... 2 blocks from crap in one direction, and 1 block fro houses going for $200k in the other, so I guess it works.

Right now I'm finishing up a 51 Chevy pickup, 69 Camaro front sub, 69 camaro rear end, Chev 350 & TH350 Trans original to a 69 C10 pickup and stock at 260HP with some bumps to bring her up ;) It's a 3600 so it was the mid length box.... I notched the rear end and dropped it 6" to help level it out and reduce the rake since the front end was so low and now she sits awesome. I'm more partial to the shortbox, so I slid the cab back 3" and chopped 8" off the box and moved it forward, then moved the rear fenders back to re-center the wheels in the wells. Now she's 1" shorter than the short box, with a 9" longer wheelbase and looks awesome. She'll be a daily driver inside a month. ;)

I have a GT-150 on the way (Should be here in a couple weeks), and will have a solid 70HP Johnson with T&T for sale, since I have a 140 I/O package on it's way as well. So you know where that is going ;) I think a 140 I/O in a GT-150 should be a fun little boat with plenty of oomph for some wakeboarding and cruising ;)

I love how stuff comes together. Said as soon as I got a house with a garage I was gonna do both projects, and looky looky ;)

Truck:
http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/shortyemcee/Shortys%2051%20Chev%20Truck/

Finishing up a couple mechanical things (Tires, finishing the brakes, have to finish welding and boxing the frame, install the rear shock mounts, have all the stuff to restore the factory gauges etc), then finishing up getting her into primer. I'll start driving as I'm rushing to finish body work before winter so I can get her into sealer before the weather turns. Basically getting her to driver status and then I'll finish more next summer....

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Shorty is alive ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »
The truck is great.

The GT150 idea is really cool! Can't wait to see that unfold.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:19:04 AM »
Good to hear from you Shorty.  I'm thinking about Wex's project Intimidator.

Did you see that CVZ-18 in KS for $800?  (Pretty sure it could be had for less.)  Its complete with motor, outdrive, etc, etc...
1990 Sierra 1700

Shorty_GT-150

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:59 AM »
Dorelse, Love the Avatar! HAHAHAHA

To be honest, the only reason I'm grabbing the 150 is , well, a few reasons,

1: It will be delivered, and selling the motor will pay for the boat

2: The 140 I/O setup is free ;)

3: I've wanted to do this since I first had one :)

150 needs a transom, but it would need it anyway with the swap. So I'm just gonna gut it, and do the stringers and floor too.
I have a garage to do it in now over winter, so it'll be fun and easy :)

Truck is fun.... not making a show truck. Just making a driver for now.
Should be a cool rig pullin the 150 :)

Ideally I want to throw this body on a bagged S10 frame, so that will happen down the road. Then I'll do a fenderless chop on the existing frame. My buddy has a S10 frame all set up exactly how they should be, so if I can get that out of him, that project will move quick

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »
Understood.  It'll be an interesting project to be sure. 

I just wanted you to have another option...I know you like V8's.
1990 Sierra 1700

Shorty_GT-150

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »
I wanted Wex's Intimidator SO BAD. Had it all planned to go get it, and the next week or so after, my car died. Boo.

Jason, Thanx ;)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:10:16 AM »
Sounds like its heading to the junkyard this weekend too...bummer.
1990 Sierra 1700

Shorty_GT-150

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
It is a huge shame to see that thing get scrapped. I even bought an aluminum factory trailer for it. And all the motor mounts/gimbal housing/steering/controls/etc....

I just don't have the means to go get it

:'(

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:00:59 PM »
Sounds like its heading to the junkyard this weekend too...bummer.
Huh?
I thought Wex's intimidator was inline for a resto? Does he have more then one?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:09 PM »
Well, I don't want to speak for Wex...but...since I kind of know what's going on I'll dish.

The blue Intimidator is currently last in line for restoration and I think Wex is trying thin the herd a bit...

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 09:42:10 PM »
Well, I don't want to speak for Wex...but...since I kind of know what's going on I'll dish.

The blue Intimidator is currently last in line for restoration and I think Wex is trying thin the herd a bit...

Dorelse knows the scoop. I've had this thing listed on CGOA for a LONG time trying to find a good home for it... at an extraordinary price. I am really on the fence with it. I love Intimidators, but I've got the CVZ convertible, the CSS-19 (which is almost done, with enough power to push it into or close to the 90mph range) and the Scimitar, which will be my most detailed restoration, and highest horsepower build to date. so, when it's all done, I'm not sure there is a place for the Intimidator. I don't know that I am committed to build it the way it should be, after all the other projects, and do what it deserves. as much as I would like to have one just sitting around (finished) I just don't think I need it. the original idea was that it's a beautiful design, and goes fast with not alot of power. but, there is a catch. these hulls have a hook. so what happens is, up to about 65mph or so, it flies without alot of power (260hp) but after that, the hook draws it down into the water, which makes it stable, but for every mph, it takes ALOT more power... perfect example, Barb's boat runs in the low to mid 70's with well over 400hp, while a stock 260hp Intimidator runs up to 65mph. again, while I love the lines, the same motor that would run 75mph in an Intimidator, runs 90mph in my CSS. and the motor I have started building for the Scimitar is just insane, and I know it will perform better in the Scimitar hull than the Intimidator. so, I'm left with a decision... and it's not all based on speed numbers, because again, I love Intimidators, but really, where do you draw the line, and concentrate on the ones that mean the most to you? I have intentions of a total redo on the CVZ in a few years as well, because that is my "staple" boat, so where does the Intimidator fit in? hopefully in someone's garage who will give it the attention it deserves....
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 09:48:25 PM »
Red needs to be the source here but conversations with him have been second hand to me between he and Art Carlson.  The Intimidatior for what I know of it was NOT designed with a hook in it but does due to a production problem. Per my chats with Red, Art has said .. flatten out that hook and that boat will fly!  I say if you have a boat that needs a total restoration, take it that far and pull the hook out of it and see what it can really achieve.  It would take a lot of work to do but I think the results would be incredible.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 09:10:19 AM »
that is correct, it was not intended to have a hook. and I agree, it would be great to see it done right, just can't find anyone to take it on, and it's been up for grabs for a long time. I've personally gone back and forth on whether to do it, but it's been listed all along, so it just seems no one within a reasonable distance is willing or interested. before the CSS-19 came along, I figured I'd just get to it eventually, now it just doesn't make sense anymore...

sorry Shorty, we pirated your thread here...  ;D
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline intimidated

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 09:14:19 AM »
I spent alot of time looking at the hook in my hull while it was apart.  I damn near ground it out while I was doing all the glasswork but didn't really know what to expect with it gone.  I now wish I had....and I may still.  Everytime I walk past it I stare at that damn hook and think about grinding/filling it.  My bottom is painted with VC epoxy so I dont need to worry about gel matching etc.

The hook is pretty severe in these hulls [mine is probably 1/2"+], but only in the outer lifting strake, and the chines.  the actual running surface and the inner lifting strakes are flat.

It would be interesting to see how much would be gained by removing it.

Shorty_GT-150

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 11:21:48 AM »
sorry Shorty, we pirated your thread here...  ;D

Arrrggghhh Matey! Pirate away!!!!! No problems here ;)

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »

Dorelse knows the scoop. I've had this thing listed on CGOA for a LONG time trying to find a good home for it... at an extraordinary price. I am really on the fence with it. I love Intimidators, but I've got the CVZ convertible, the CSS-19 (which is almost done, with enough power to push it into or close to the 90mph range) and the Scimitar, which will be my most detailed restoration, and highest horsepower build to date. so, when it's all done, I'm not sure there is a place for the Intimidator. I don't know that I am committed to build it the way it should be, after all the other projects, and do what it deserves. as much as I would like to have one just sitting around (finished) I just don't think I need it. the original idea was that it's a beautiful design, and goes fast with not alot of power. but, there is a catch. these hulls have a hook. so what happens is, up to about 65mph or so, it flies without alot of power (260hp) but after that, the hook draws it down into the water, which makes it stable, but for every mph, it takes ALOT more power... perfect example, Barb's boat runs in the low to mid 70's with well over 400hp, while a stock 260hp Intimidator runs up to 65mph. again, while I love the lines, the same motor that would run 75mph in an Intimidator, runs 90mph in my CSS. and the motor I have started building for the Scimitar is just insane, and I know it will perform better in the Scimitar hull than the Intimidator. so, I'm left with a decision... and it's not all based on speed numbers, because again, I love Intimidators, but really, where do you draw the line, and concentrate on the ones that mean the most to you? I have intentions of a total redo on the CVZ in a few years as well, because that is my "staple" boat, so where does the Intimidator fit in? hopefully in someone's garage who will give it the attention it deserves....
I can certainly see the dillema. Wish I could take it off your hands. I didnt even know you had it listed.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 08:20:59 PM »
I just read some of the info at the national site and I think the last comment was in 2009?
Thats where it left off? And now with a trailer too? Yeah like others, I wish it were closer...and I was younger and richer.  ;D
As sweet as it would be, I dont think I'd be up to the task... knowlege wise. It WILL go.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag