Author Topic: CVX 18 Paint and interior restore  (Read 74606 times)

Offline fireman24mn

Re: CVX 18 Paint and interior restore
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »
I will bring them to Redwing. I also have 10 new chrome lug nuts that will go with them came in a pack of 20.
Scott we could try to widen the hole in them and see if that would work if i remember they were close to fitting.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
My wife asked me what I was so intently looking at on the computer for the last hour +.....my answer "I'm looking at *Censored*"....she promptly came over to look only to find me drooling at the most beautiful thing I have ever seen....YOUR BOAT!! I am in awe!

I am a new member here but a long time member over at CGOA.com. Grew up with a CVX16 and have had a CV16SS and C500 Metric over the past 10 years. Just purchased and will be picking up my latest rescue, a 1980 CVZ18. As you can see, she needed a new home and a great deal of TLC.

She needs a full restoration but will be beautiful again! Stumbling on this thread finalized the decision to change the color of this one to Orange/White w/ Blue accents (Florida Gator here). I am hoping you would be ok with me touching base with you on the phone number listed on your site so I could chat with you for a few minutes about some of the things you did on yours. I am planning on doing all the work myself. My wife's uncle has a small body shop so once I get the big stuff completed, I can haul it up to his place and spray it.

Again, beautiful work! You have one of the most outstanding CVX18's I have ever seen.

Rich
Charlotte, NC

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
Ya no problem. Looks like a good project I am sure it will be just as nice if not better when done. I do like the CVZ

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »
Shawn, thanks so much for taking the better part of an hour to answer all my questions. Perfect example why this is such a great group to be a part of. I'm sure I'll bug you again. I wish I had my notes from our conversation, stuck in the emergency room with my daughter. Remember I told you the faster the better? She apparently pushed the limts of the neighbors swing and think she broke her wrist!! Thanks again, appreciate it.

Rich

Offline Fin

« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
That is an awesome looking paint job!

A few of questions from a novice painter.

Did you us a primer or did you just shoot the BC on top of the gelcoat?

Assuming the boat was painted in the garage, did you do anything to control the fumes? How about dust and such?

If you ever decide to sell this boat send me a PM.

Thanks, Jim

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum Fin !

You should see it in the sun shine, floating in the water ...
Almost blinds ya ...

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2013, 10:59:34 PM »
Gregg's not lyin' .... that orange flake is phenomenal.  If you think it looks good in pictures, they communicate only a fraction of the cool factor you see in person.  It's a boat that everyone has to reach out and touch. 
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:51 PM »
I think Shawn already has a line of people ready to buy his boat. Good luck!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2013, 08:44:20 AM »
Well my CVZ18 is going to have the same color and finish. Spoke with Shawn a while back and have all the details. I can't wait until it is done, still a long way to go.

Rich

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
That is an awesome looking paint job!

A few of questions from a novice painter.

Did you us a primer or did you just shoot the BC on top of the gelcoat?

Assuming the boat was painted in the garage, did you do anything to control the fumes? How about dust and such?

If you ever decide to sell this boat send me a PM.

Thanks, Jim

I did use primer on the boat before painting. The orange basecoat from house of Kolor first, then the flake, then clear coat. after it dried the sanded the clear flat and smooth and 3 more coats of clear.

As for fumes I had a couple Box fans in a window. Before I paint I always clean really good, blow off everything with an air blower, sweep again, wet the floor down, wipe down & prep the part being painted.  No mater where you paint you will get a few dust nibs in the paint they can just be buffed out later.

As for sale of boat I may consider it after I get the 23 done that I am restoring.

Offline Fin

« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
Well my CVZ18 is going to have the same color and finish. Spoke with Shawn a while back and have all the details. I can't wait until it is done, still a long way to go.

Rich

I'll look for your resto thread. Sounds cool.

I think Shawn already has a line of people ready to buy his boat. Good luck!

That's the story of my life. Day late and a dollar(usually a lot of dollars) short.

Gregg's not lyin' .... that orange flake is phenomenal.  If you think it looks good in pictures, they communicate only a fraction of the cool factor you see in person.  It's a boat that everyone has to reach out and touch. 

I bet it does look good. It would look even better down here in GA where it can be used year 'round.  :D

Welcome to the forum Fin !

You should see it in the sun shine, floating in the water ...
Almost blinds ya ...

Thanks for the welcome.

Rub it in why don't ya... :P

It would look awesome being pulled behind my '70 GoManGo Challenger T/A(which I sold a couple years ago).

I did use primer on the boat before painting. The orange basecoat from house of Kolor first, then the flake, then clear coat. after it dried the sanded the clear flat and smooth and 3 more coats of clear.

As for fumes I had a couple Box fans in a window. Before I paint I always clean really good, blow off everything with an air blower, sweep again, wet the floor down, wipe down & prep the part being painted.  No mater where you paint you will get a few dust nibs in the paint they can just be buffed out later.

As for sale of boat I may consider it after I get the 23 done that I am restoring.

If I were you I'd sell the orange boat to me and go all in on the 23.  ;D

That is a beautiful boat. I think I'll paint my Macsemiser the same color just to get some practice and a metal flake fix.  8)

Side note: Is there a multi quote button that I couldn't find on the forum? I just quoted each post individually and kept pasting them together.

Offline Fin2

« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2020, 09:01:11 PM »
Bump from the dead...

A couple more questions, did you need a flex additive in the paint?

Would you recommend paint instead of gelcoat on a refinish?

How did you lay the "swoosh" back out to mask off for the white paint(It appears you painted over orange/flake when you painted the stripe, swoosh and white band around the deck)? 

I stealing you color theme for my CVX20 if you don't mind. Your boat is still my all time favorite.