Author Topic: OMC 'Stringer' tilt problems  (Read 43025 times)

Offline scott r bishop

• RecordTogether
Re: OMC 'Stringer' tilt problems
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 02:27:22 PM »
Thanks, I would really appreciate that.
1980 CVX-18
1989 CSS-19

Offline MikeB

• 1980 CVX-18 | 1989 CSS19
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »
I found a few old pictures I had taken of our outdrive.  I see the 1/4 circle gear that Rich mentioned, but I'm not sure which bolts to take out in order to remove it.  

http://imgur.com/oJlZC

Is it the 3 bolts on top of the gear?  It's all underwater right now so it sounds like I'm going to need a snorkel before I attempt anything, lol.  

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:10:07 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
What lake is the boat trapped on?  This week I was on Johanna, Joesephine and Owasso with one of my techs doing some testing.  If you could find a boat lift might you be able to crank it up high enough to service the tilt?

Offline scott r bishop

• RecordTogether
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
We're on White Bear Lake. I like the lift idea, maybe I can find a neighbor who can let us use their lift to service it, good call!  If not, the snorkel idea is still in 2nd place.
1980 CVX-18
1989 CSS-19

Offline Jerry

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 10:30:53 PM »
That reminds me. Retro don't forget my gear.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Scott my friend has a lift right by you I can give him a call if you would like. Let me know
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
I found a few old pictures I had taken of our outdrive.  I see the 1/4 circle gear that Rich mentioned, but I'm not sure which bolts to take out in order to remove it.  

http://imgur.com/oJlZC

Is it the 3 bolts on top of the gear?  It's all underwater right now so it sounds like I'm going to need a snorkel before I attempt anything, lol.  

yes, it would be those three bolts. I would lift up on the outdrive as you take them off. Might pinch something or fall if you don't!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 08:44:39 PM »
came across this and looked thru it...no help for your situation, I do not know how to copy it or PDF ? if someone wants to make a copy or something let me know. This one is I think circa 1975 or 1976

Offline floater1

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:44 AM »
Just saw this.  Now I'm not sure if yours has this but check under your dash, look for two plugs, the male should be plugged into the female, they may be black in color.  Unplug them, check for corosion, clean them out if needed, then reconnect.

After I did the above my drive started working again after it was stuck "down" as yours is.  Now mine was a '78 cvx with a 305 but yours is only 1 year off from mine and I think the wiring, ect is very similar to the 1978 models.  At the time when I checked the OMC bible nowhere did I find any mention of that under dash plug I mentioned.  I just did that after tracing wires for hours in 95 degree heat. 

My set-up also had about 6 solenoids, if I recall correctly 3 on the back of the engine and were for trim and the other 3 were for tilt and were on the front of the engine-or vice versa cant remember for sure.  They were Ford solenoids even though I had a Chevy motor in mine lol.  I did replace all the solenoids afterwards for peace of mind.

Good luck, keep us posted.

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »
DOES THE ELECTRIC MOTOR RUN? IT SOUNDED LIKE THE TILT MOTOR WAS GETTING TWELVE VOLTS AND SPINNING WHEN THE SWITCH WAS ACTIVATED?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:51:56 AM by Retro Performance »

Offline scott r bishop

• RecordTogether
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:55 AM »
Yes, that is correct.  The motor inside the motor housing is spinning, it's just not activating the gear on the outside of the outdrive, which makes me think it's a broken worm gear.  I will check on the plug as that would be a great, easy solution for cheap.  Thanks again everyone for your continued help on getting this figured out!
1980 CVX-18
1989 CSS-19

Offline floater1

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
Scott, maybe you already have it figured out but I dug through some of my old boat paperwork and found some notes I took when I had the tilt issue on my old OMC.  That under dash connection I referred to in my earlier post had green, brown, and white colored wires running to it.  Just posting this for reference/comparison.  Again mine was the '78 800 series. 

I hope you get it worked out.

Offline floater1

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »
Maybe someone mentioned it already but check your fuses.  Mine had a big 50 amp fuse (wasnt my issue at the time) and some smaller ones here and there.  Check them all. 

Offline scott r bishop

• RecordTogether
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »
Thanks for the color confirmation! I went under the dash today and saw all sorts of butt connectors everywhere..  this will help me narrow it down.  I still suspect the worm gear.  The 50 amp fuses blew last year so that's the first thing I tried.  When those blew, not only would the outdrive not move but the motor wouldn't turn over either (blew them both I guess).  This time I can hear the motor in the engine compartment spinning and the boat still turns over fine (been skiing with it this way for a week now), but all the input is really great and I thank you for your continued offering of ideas.  I will check for those colored wires tomorrow (I assume they go to the tilt switch?)  What a great community to be a part of...
1980 CVX-18
1989 CSS-19

Offline floater1

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 12:16:44 PM »
I will check for those colored wires tomorrow (I assume they go to the tilt switch?) 

Scott, I dont remember writing it down but yes I believe they would have.  For some reason I want to say I also had a blue and also a purple wire running from the gear select and tilt/trim module, although I can't remember what exactly they were associated with.

I always joked that I spent more time tracing wires that summer than I did actually using the boat.  Laying on my back and in contorted positions in the hot summer sun while everyone else was out boating lol.

Offline floater1

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »
Here is some good info I found from another site that may be helpful:

So you have a stringer out drive that won't tilt up, or it tilts up very slowly, or you need to help it up physically. Maybe it doesn't move at all.

Here is a step bye step guide to fixing it. A manual would be very helpful.

1- A fully charged battery is imperative.

2- Disconnect the battery and clean the battery posts. Are the cables good?

3- With the battery disconnected, clean all the connections on the port side, solenoids. Don't forget the grounds.

4- Clean connections to tilt motor. Two wires.

5- Connect the battery.

6- On the out drive port side, there is a clutch housing. Four screws hold on
cover. Pull that cover. May be full of water. They all leak.

Two things you can do at this time.

A- Clean out the housing with clutch installed.

B- Remove the clutch and rebuild the housing. New seals.

If you chose A, Spray the clutch with brake cleaner. Make sure it's as clean as you can get it. You might have to spray it a few times. Blow it dry. Spray the the clutch with penetrating oil. Pack the housing with grease, and install cover. Don't over tighten the screws, can bind the clutch.

If you chose B, remove all the components of the gear housing. Soak everything in Acetone overnight. Rebuild housing, new seals. Blow dry the parts, soak them all in motor oil for a hour or two. Install parts. Pack the housing with grease. I know it calls for 30 weight motor oil. Trust me pack it with grease. Install cover.

7- Gently pry off the rubber bumpers. Don't mix them up, pump grease in the zerks. Install bumpers.

At this point the drive should move up and down easy. If it doesn't, you need to pull the tilt motor. Test motor and replace or rebuild. Make sure the hammer blow coupler is good or replace. Don't forget the gasket, on the tilt motor. .

Good luck!

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 07:04:22 PM »
Has this problem been solved.......I came across a couple manuels that could help.

Offline scott r bishop

• RecordTogether
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »
Not yet.  We've decided to use it as is for the rest of the season, it still works just fine and I don't want to pull it out of the water quite yet.  This will be an October activity I'm thinking, but I really appreciate all the help and have printed most of this thread off for reference when we do get it out of the water!  Also, did you ever end up finding one of those worm gears that may have snapped?  I still think that's the most likely situation considering it went from working perfectly to broken in one drop-down.  If you have one, let me know, thanks again!
1980 CVX-18
1989 CSS-19

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »
I checked my inventory and do not have a new one in stock, current retail is 113 .30 to order from Bombardier, I have a couple trailers loaded with drives,gearcases etc.....I would think I may well have a used one in there, will advise. It could be just the pins broken as well......if it does not make any noise (other than electric motor) might be more likly pins (I think?)

Offline scott r bishop

• RecordTogether
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »
if it does not make any noise (other than electric motor) might be more likly pins (I think?)

Yep, that's what it's doing (or not doing, rather). Just the electric motor spinning.  I'll wait to hear from you before I make any decisions.  Thanks!
1980 CVX-18
1989 CSS-19