Author Topic: My New Project Boat, Not A Glastron, But My Wife Loves It...  (Read 82078 times)

Offline buckz6319

My New Project Boat, Not A Glastron, But My Wife Loves It...
« on: February 03, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
HI
I had to give up on my 75 cv16 project, after much soul searching, and  had to throw up the white flag, wave it all around...

I did purchase another boat that has a lot less to do, for it to be water ready, and my wife loves it, that makes me smile:)

1993 Chaparral 180 Sport Limited with a 3.0 Mercruiser, and Alpha one outdrive.The price was $ 1,300.00
The boat possibly will need an engine ( chocolate milk in the oil) however I am troubleshooting, and testing with the iboat folks, but would appreciate any input from you folks too... think it's a cracked block issue, or maybe the engine was under water at some point
here are some pics

Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline 84carlson

Re: My New Project Boat, Not A Glastron, But My Wife Loves It...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »
I think you got a great deal...I would have purchased it for that amount...Good find...

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »
I think you got a great deal...I would have purchased it for that amount...Good find...
thanks! I agree, however I don't know much about the brand, but it is a sold boat.
just not sure about the engine yet, hope I can save it

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 07:39:20 PM »
Chaparral is definitely considered one of the better boats. It won't be a powerhouse with the 3.0 but pitch it down and should do fine. Those I4's are simple, easy to work on and run forever. I would agree you got it for a good price.

I would start by figuring out if freeze damage is the reason there is water in the oil. Which is pretty likely, but you never know. Could be something as simple as a head gasket.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »
Chaparral is definitely considered one of the better boats. It won't be a powerhouse with the 3.0 but pitch it down and should do fine. Those I4's are simple, easy to work on and run forever. I would agree you got it for a good price.

I would start by figuring out if freeze damage is the reason there is water in the oil. Which is pretty likely, but you never know. Could be something as simple as a head gasket.
thanks!
I have always seen water n the cylinders when a head gasket lets go, but If the block froze, the head could have cracked allowing water into the oil
The engine will turn over, so it;s not seized up.I will do a pressure test of the block once I get the time, and it stops raining here

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »
Buck, pull the head on that 3.0 most likely a cracked head or block. I am going to build a 140 hopefully in the next month they are a very simple engine to work on. Oh, don't listen to these guys on here that say these i4s can't turn a high pitch prop. The 120 I had in my boat turned a 21p laser 2 and pushed it to 43mph.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:50 AM »
Buck, pull the head on that 3.0 most likely a cracked head or block. I am going to build a 140 hopefully in the next month they are a very simple engine to work on. Oh, don't listen to these guys on here that say these i4s can't turn a high pitch prop. The 120 I had in my boat turned a 21p laser 2 and pushed it to 43mph.
Hell, The speedo shows 80MPH. I was hoping to get 81MPH from her with some NOS lol
I would think you can build a 4 banger for more HP, just like a street 4 banger?
I don't think the stern drive could handle that kinda HP increase

I hope this 140 is not going to be a slug? 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »
Looks like a very good deal for $1300 !
Would a V6 fit in it ?
That would get it to 50 mph or better.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 09:38:52 AM »
Really nice deal. You can find 140's around here pretty easily. Not sure about down there. I don't think anyone would blame you for giving up on the CV16. That was a HUGE project and the less time working on the boat and the more time on the water the is what it is all about!

A 18' boat is a lot of boat to move with a 140. Top end speed is maybe 35..... But like kip said, find the right prop and it will be a fun boat...... Or find a 350 and make it a REALLY fun boat!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:45:41 AM »
A friend of mine has a Tahoe Q4 which is a 19 foot runabout and has a 3.0L Mercruiser. With a 21p stainless prop top speed was 45 mph at 4500 rpm with a light load. But with 4 people in the boat it took a long time to plane. In that case a 19p prop would probably work better to avoid overloading the engine.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
My '96 18ft Glastron could do low 40's with a 19p prop, but, that was just me, light fuel load, etc.  (Boat speedo...so take that speed with a grain of salt.)

Ours did struggle to get on plane with 4 people towing the kids on the tube.  We had a 17p Prop that I used for watersports, so it usually stayed on the boat.

It was a fun boat, and my family's favorite by far.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
you folks have me thinking now about putting in a different Engine
Is it possible to do without changing the Alpha One?

A v8 would be nice, but what would be involved in that?
A v6 should bolt right up?

Through hull exhaust sounds soooo good

Need ideas....

I would think either enging would have to be a marine engine ?

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
The newer boats count the swim platform into the length of the boat so that is really like an older 16' boat or so.  Chapparral is a well built boat from what I have seen.  I think they built them down around Nashville.  I had an 87 Sea Ray with the Mercruiser 140 and it would run mid-forties with no problem.   That said, if you loaded it up with a bunch of people and a cooler it would get pretty sluggish.  If you are talking about a generally light load such as two adults and younger kids you will probably be fine.   Are you talking about young kids skiing or a 200 pounder trying to slalom ski?   Mine was also great on fuel.  I also liked how easy it was to winterize.   I think it had two drain plugs and one hose to remove which took about five minutes to winterize it so I could use it all winter long if we got a warm day.  I loved that 140 as long as you didn't try to ask it to do too much.  Easy to trailer too.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
If it were me, I would just rebuild the 140 and enjoy the boat...it'll do 95% of what the V6 will, just work a little harder to do it...and its great on gas.

So it won't break 50...meh...if its for towing the kids around or just cruising...top speed is irrelevant.

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:49:08 AM »
you folks have me thinking now about putting in a different Engine
Is it possible to do without changing the Alpha One?

A v8 would be nice, but what would be involved in that?
A v6 should bolt right up?

Through hull exhaust sounds soooo good

Need ideas....

I would think either enging would have to be a marine engine ?

A V6 would be ideal but you still would have to change the drive because of the gear ratio involved otherwise you would have to use a prop with an enormous amount of pitch. Things you would have to change to go from a 4 cylinder to a V6 would be the mentioned gear ratio, the exhaust pipe between the engine and transom, possible modification to go from a front motor mount to side mounts for the V6, and change the setting on the tachometer from 4 to 6 cylinders.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
I agree with Doran.  Fix it and if you not happy with how it performs sell it and find something else. I don't know the boating market where you are but in MN if you fixed that boat yourself, you could easily sell it for a quite a bit more than you had into it. It really makes no sense IMHO to put a different motor in it.  Your time & money and time ahead fixing it and then selling if you decide that is what you want to do.

My advice is to fix it, run it, and then make your own decision.  You have gotten some good advice here on what to expect performance wise.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »
Does the 3 liter show any signs of having overheated, melted exhaust bellows/ paint discolored etc?  Are there any external cracks on the block?  Red or Rich would know but isn't it unusual for a 3.0 to crack inside and not outside? If so more likely Head or manifold related?

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
       You scored a great deal.   Just my suggestion, but I would start with a leakdown test of the cylinders.   This test would tell you if the issue is with the cylinders, head gasket, valves, etc.   The most likely, top two issues, from what kills engines around here are lack of winter prep(cracked block), and overheating(head gasket or cracked head.  Spend the effort on fixing the 140 and enjoy the boat.   If you do the work yourself, you could make more than you have invested, and spend that on a V6 or V8 boat (preferably a Carlson).  Too much to change to make it V6 or V8 from an I4.    My $0.02, Plugcheck.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »
I would also keep it a 3.0. You would likely have to put in power steering with the V6 or V8 too.....I don't think it has it already.

Every 140 I have seen that cracked externally right under or behind the intake manifold. Do you really get that many temps dropping below zero down there. I would at least pull the engine apart and look for cracks befroe swapping it out. Most machine shops can pressure test heads and blocks.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 06:17:54 PM »
The newer boats count the swim platform into the length of the boat so that is really like an older 16' boat or so.  Chapparral is a well built boat from what I have seen.  I think they built them down around Nashville.  I had an 87 Sea Ray with the Mercruiser 140 and it would run mid-forties with no problem.   That said, if you loaded it up with a bunch of people and a cooler it would get pretty sluggish.  If you are talking about a generally light load such as two adults and younger kids you will probably be fine.   Are you talking about young kids skiing or a 200 pounder trying to slalom ski?   Mine was also great on fuel.  I also liked how easy it was to winterize.   I think it had two drain plugs and one hose to remove which took about five minutes to winterize it so I could use it all winter long if we got a warm day.  I loved that 140 as long as you didn't try to ask it to do too much.  Easy to trailer too.
thanks for your input
I have read that these engines are built like a tank, and slow like one?

I mainly will be having my wife,and myself, most of the time, but can have 2 more adults sometimes, it will vary.

Why such a small 140 in a heavy boat, may have been just a base model ordered from the original owner