Author Topic: My New Project Boat, Not A Glastron, But My Wife Loves It...  (Read 82200 times)

Offline buckz6319

Re: My New Project Boat, Not A Glastron, But My Wife Loves It...
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »
I would also keep it a 3.0. You would likely have to put in power steering with the V6 or V8 too.....I don't think it has it already.

Every 140 I have seen that cracked externally right under or behind the intake manifold. Do you really get that many temps dropping below zero down there. I would at least pull the engine apart and look for cracks befroe swapping it out. Most machine shops can pressure test heads and blocks.

Thanks for your input
I  think I do have power steering on this 3.0, that's a good thing

I has gotten so cold here the past couple of months, on and off, that the engine block or head could have possibly froze and busted. The winters here suck! and have huge temperature swings, along with wind
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014, 06:28:03 PM »
If it were me, I would just rebuild the 140 and enjoy the boat...it'll do 95% of what the V6 will, just work a little harder to do it...and its great on gas.

So it won't break 50...meh...if its for towing the kids around or just cruising...top speed is irrelevant.
thanks for the input. I think probably a good idea...

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2014, 06:31:22 PM »
I agree with Doran.  Fix it and if you not happy with how it performs sell it and find something else. I don't know the boating market where you are but in MN if you fixed that boat yourself, you could easily sell it for a quite a bit more than you had into it. It really makes no sense IMHO to put a different motor in it.  Your time & money and time ahead fixing it and then selling if you decide that is what you want to do.

My advice is to fix it, run it, and then make your own decision.  You have gotten some good advice here on what to expect performance wise.

I appreciate all the input, and consider everyone's opnion...sounds like a good idea too

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 06:40:15 PM »
Does the 3 liter show any signs of having overheated, melted exhaust bellows/ paint discolored etc?  Are there any external cracks on the block?  Red or Rich would know but isn't it unusual for a 3.0 to crack inside and not outside? If so more likely Head or manifold related?
here are some engine pics, keep in mind that I have not removed these parts, nor did I use the stuff on the block, and manifold....the po tried to fix what they think was the issue, I guess

I did remove the rocker cover last night, so I could see if there were any fine hairline cracks in the casting, none found
let me know what you folks think

I used the trim/tilt it works, but also has wendys frosty coming out of the overflow hole in the cap

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Hmmmmmmm seems to me that trim fluid looks funny, Mercury fluid is basically clear.....years ago we used 30 weight motor oil......and sometimes people use transmission fluid even.......is there water in your resevoir?  When you got the boat the manifold was off ? Are there any holes in the bellows?

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 07:03:49 PM »
Why such a small 140 in a heavy boat, may have been just a base model ordered from the original owner

My large & heavy non-Glastron 21 foot cruiser came with a 3.0 liter 4 cylinder. Though it wouldn't be too fast it would be economical. I'm converting it to a V6 this winter. The 3.0 liter engine is common in most 18 foot runabouts so performance would be fine for cruising around and water sports.

Looking at your pics I'd say you have a problem with the exhaust/intake manifold, evident by the rust in the ports and possible repair to the manifold itself. It's probably ingesting water through cracks in the manifold.

There is water getting into the trim pump, the piston seals on the trim rams are no good. You'll either have to rebuild the rams with new end caps and O-rings or replace the rams.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11:41 PM »
Hmmmmmmm seems to me that trim fluid looks funny, Mercury fluid is basically clear.....years ago we used 30 weight motor oil......and sometimes people use transmission fluid even.......is there water in your resevoir?  When you got the boat the manifold was off ? Are there any holes in the bellows?

not sure about water in the reservoir. I think so, that pump fluid color, looks exactly the same as the wendys frosty color of the engine oil

Bellows? Holes? the inboard is new to me. I have always owned outboards, please explain

The manifold was off and laying in the engine compartment with the repair on it. I did find 2 used remaining tubes of jb weld in the engine compartment 

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 07:18:05 PM »
Why such a small 140 in a heavy boat, may have been just a base model ordered from the original owner

My large & heavy non-Glastron 21 foot cruiser came with a 3.0 liter 4 cylinder. Though it wouldn't be too fast it would be economical. I'm converting it to a V6 this winter. The 3.0 liter engine is common in most 18 foot runabouts so performance would be fine for cruising around and water sports.

Looking at your pics I'd say you have a problem with the exhaust/intake manifold, evident by the rust in the ports and possible repair to the manifold itself. It's probably ingesting water through cracks in the manifold.

There is water getting into the trim pump, the piston seals on the trim rams are no good. You'll either have to rebuild the rams with new end caps and O-rings or replace the rams.

so the intake manifold could allow water into the engine block?  am new to the inboard engines

I tend to agree with you on rebuilding the rams with new end caps and o- rings, would that much water get into the system, causing the chocolate fluid, do you thnk the pump can be salvaged. t does work

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
so the intake manifold could allow water into the engine block?  am new to the inboard engines

I tend to agree with you on rebuilding the rams with new end caps and o- rings, would that much water get into the system, causing the chocolate fluid, do you thnk the pump can be salvaged. t does work

Yes, if there are cracks in the manifold you can get water sucking into the cylinders. If the exhaust outlet elbow's water passages are all plugged up with rust and scale that could create a greater water pressure flowing through the manifold causing it to leak, especially at the joint between the manifold and elbow if the gasket seal is shot or the mating surfaces are rotted.

On the rams, yes that much water can get into the trim pump. Each time the drive is lowered it could suck water in through the end caps on the rams. This is why your trim pump reservoir is overflowing. The pump can be saved as long as the check valves haven't rusted shut. Empty the reservoir and flush it with some diesel, cycle the pump a few times back and forth with the hoses removed to clear out the pump body. The hoses and rams will also need to be flushed to get all the watery oil out.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »
Looks like the block is cracked externally right where Jason said they do.

I would inspect the drive fluid right away. Hopefully that isn't full of water. If it looks good chances are the drive is functional.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:47:40 PM by CVX Fever »
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 07:49:04 PM »
Looks like the block is cracked as well.

I would inspect the drive fluid right away. Hopefully that isn't full of water. If it looks good chances are the drive is functional.

i did drain that fluid out Sunday. I was curious....mostly dark bluish black oil, but did see a trace of chocolate, but the vent screw, and the drain screw o-rings were completely flat, so maybe was leaking some at those 2 screws
oil looked nothing like what is in the pump and engine

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
Well, thanks for all the great info, and troubleshooting tips. I have some investigating to do, so i can figure out what is wrong.

Feel free to keep the input coming, and  will post my test results as i do them.  hope it is not the block that is the problem. I will take a compression test of each cyl, and do a cyl leak down test on each one.  will try and do a block pressure test, inspect the intake more closely, and I for got what else at this point

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 08:24:51 PM »
thought I would post some pics of the starboard side spark plug holes

they all have rust, even the hex on the plugs had rust on them

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »
Sure it was not submerged?

I am thinking Rich is on the right track with the intake as the rust in the intake ports is a giveaway there.

I can see some JB weld on the block but don't really see a crack. Here is a cracked 140.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:10:05 PM by Jason »
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »
I would think you could pressure test the intake by sealing a flat plate to the large square exhaust opening then connect a garden hose to the hose connection on the opposite end and look for water coming out of any area as it should be sealed at that point. I would try and bleed the air out by filling with water first.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 05:25:21 AM »
thanks for the time to help me figure this out. I will pressure test the manifold, and hope it is the culprit causing the water intrusion, and not a busted block

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »
There are three Bellows that seal the shift cable, drive shaft and exhaust between the outdrive and the Bell housing outside the boat. If the shift or drive shaft (U-joint) bellows are torn water will enter the boat.......common cause of sinking.......With that manifold looking like it does you gotta question it.

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
There are three Bellows that seal the shift cable, drive shaft and exhaust between the outdrive and the Bell housing outside the boat. If the shift or drive shaft (U-joint) bellows are torn water will enter the boat.......common cause of sinking.......With that manifold looking like it does you gotta question it.

ok, I will do a google search on the bellows for this 93 3.0 and look into how to check them
I am posting more pics, these are of the manifold and gasket that was removed by the po

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2014, 07:19:24 PM »
The pics of the intake manifold, and gasket. I see lots of rust, and damage on the gasket.

The damaged gasket may have been caused by removing the intake?. I have had that happen on a few auto engine intake removals

The rust possibly from sitting outside?

I would appreciate any input, and advice on what you all think about these parts

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
Sure it was not submerged?

I am thinking Rich is on the right track with the intake as the rust in the intake ports is a giveaway there.

I can see some JB weld on the block but don't really see a crack. Here is a cracked 140.

Sure it was not submerged?....that could be a possibility, and I have thought about that, not sure how i could know?

The po said, and i quote " using it on the lake, sounded like the engine was skipping, when we got home, checked oil, had water in it,he then took the intake off to look at it. I didn't notice anything wrong, was having someone come look at the problem, but no one came"
last Ga registration year expiration date was 2012
so it must have sat in this disassembled state for a long time