Author Topic: The big step in life - I need your help!  (Read 5361 times)

Offline Carlson_from_Germany

• Donate members
The big step in life - I need your help!
« on: December 02, 2015, 03:48:30 PM »
Hey guys, this might not be the place to look for something like this but I need your help and you never know where a door opens.

Some of you might know that I love the states. For those who don't - I am probably more patriotic than a lot Americans are. My friends always tell me that with all my American apparel no one would believe me that I'm actually German.
I come back at least once every year because I was just born in the wrong country.

I've been playing with the though of moving for several years. So after thanksgiving this year I finally decided that it was my time to take the step and get serious.
I'm ready to leave everything behind and start a new life in the US.

Since this isn't just something that popped up in my head yesterday I know everything about visas and what I have to do in order to get one.
This is well though over and not just a thought, I'm serious about this. I'm giving up a lot here but to me it's worth it. I've been to more than 30 states, know what I'm getting myself into and won't back down.

Here is where you can maybe help. In order to start a life of course I have to find a job. Here in Germany I'm a certified realtor (I went to something like college in the US for 3 years to get the degree so it's not that easy). But I really don't mind doing any other job that provides me with a decent living. I'm not asking for much at all. Location does not matter either. Maybe my language skills with German and some Spanish come in handy for someone as well who knows. I really don't have any requirements to my job, I'm a hard learner and I get stuff fast.

Maybe you are not the one that is actually getting me the job but I would really appreciate it if you could spread the word with friends and family or even at church.
You know there is always someone that knows someone that knows someone.

So keep me in mind guys. I would really be more than happy if I could invite you to my place for a beer to say thank you one day.

Thank you!
Aaron

Offline DanR

Re: The big step in life - I need your help!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 04:26:12 PM »
Hi Aaron. Maybe search for how to obtain a realtors license for which ever area you prefer. Do you like all 4 seasons?
1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
The company I work for does all hiring through employment agencies, some kind of online thing.
Look into getting your realtors license would be your best bet.

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:11 PM »
I know and work with an number of Realtors here in MN if you want I am sure I could set you up with some numbers so you could at least talk to them and see what the options are.

I started investing in Real Estate about 2 1/2 years ago. Mn has a pretty good market right now.

I will caution you that the water here Freezes for about 4 months so no boating. I haven't been on a boat since middle of Oct and probably wont be until April.

Best of Luck
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 12:51:03 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for getting back so quick. I do know the process of obtaining a realtor license in the states but in order to get one I'd probably want to get a job first to make sure it's the right state and area that I'm getting it for. As mentioned before I really don't mind the state or area. I love the American spirit and way of life no matter where I'm at.

Seasons are fine and that's just another thing I love. Don't mind ice, don't mind the cold you always need time to work on a project right? ;-) Although I told myself that hobbies have to stay behind until I settled and feel comfortable with my life. Really don't want to "waste" money before I can't say that it works out.
So I'd really appreciate every possible contact. Even if the first 100 don't work, maybe it's the 101st that makes it happen.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:49:43 AM »
That's awesome to hear you want to make the move! My brother in law made the move from Germany as well about 20 years ago. He's now an attorney. The fact that he knows multiple languages has really helped him.

I would take a serious look at the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. I can't say much for the housing market here nor do I really know any realtors but our economy as a whole is doing much better than a lot of other areas of the country. The twin cities area has more jobs in general and a better quality of life then other areas in the states. IMO we have the best lakes and rivers for boating. Which is also very important as I am sure you know!

Hope you can make it work out.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »
Good luck on your move Aaron, I hope it works for you!

I agree with Jason the Minneapolis/St. Paul area is a great place to be. Amber and I love the area and hope to eventually move to the area.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:27:40 PM »
Aaron - I'm PM'ing you my work email.  IA is pretty close the your host family if I've done my Facebook research properly... :D

Your bilingual abilities could be of use for a company that sells in Germany & the US like ours.  No promises since I'm in the IT world, but I can at least get your resume to the right VP.

I love the Midwest, and we'll eventually retire to N. MN (probably)...what's your employment status in the US?  H1B?  Don't need to disclose any of that here...use my work email.

Hope it works out for you!  Minneapolis is great if you like 4 seasons...want a little less winter...Des Moines is great, but we don't have a lakes unfortunately.  Nothing matches what MN lakes are like...so if boating is important, MN / WI is where its at...snowmobiling is awesome too.

1990 Sierra 1700

• Donate members
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 05:02:38 AM »
Hey guys, if anyone is on Linkedin feel free to add me.
Working on resume and cover letter right now.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/aaronkschreiber

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
Hi Aaron
That is a big step. Very cool that you are on a place in life where you can pick up and move.
Sounds like you've seen more of the US than myself. As others have said, Mn and Wis have the water. Want it a little warmer, just go south a state. I'll look for you on LinkeIn
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Otto cv23

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
A friend of mine has a daughter in San Diego and his grandson goes to a German immersion school there. Perhaps something like that.  I visited the school with him and the german teachers there were from germany. In San Diego the Spanish would also help. great weather year round and lots of water

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 02:23:46 PM »
Seasons are fine and that's just another thing I love. Don't mind ice, don't mind the cold you always need time to work on a project right?

Aaron  - I think of it as "less is more". If I could boat 365 days a year I'd probably get bored with it. I'll also take a freshwater lake over a saltwater ocean any day of the week.

And if you like things with motors you just get yourself one of these and the winters fly right by!..........LOL

Seriously though I'd think real hard about where you want to live before you make the move - pretty important. You couldn't drag me out of Minnesota for nothing but the next guy will have a different opinion.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 06:15:20 PM »
I'm with Kip.

A vacation somewhere warm would be nice, however.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline rayar3

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 11:20:25 PM »
I'm partial to northeast Florida. I grew up in CT, live there now, but went to college in FL. I taught people to fly in St. Augustine after college, and most were German/Austrian guys on holiday. It's been 8 years, but the flight school is still going strong: http://www.fliegen-usa.de. Florida's real estate market is strong. Lots of new developments, and the beach life is hard to beat. I also have a high school friend that is very successful in the Naples area as an agent. A college buddy of mine emigrated from Peru. After college, he received his US Citizenship and now works in Buffalo, NY in the aviation field.

Lots of freshwater for boating, beach for fun, inter coastal as well, and a really fun place to live with a low cost of living and cheap taxes. I'll be moving back to Florida one day, or at the very least have a second home.
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline MikeB

• 1980 CVX-18 | 1989 CSS19
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »
I'll throw my support in for Minnesota as well.  Summers here are amazing, and winter isn't so bad if you take a vacation or 2 during the worst parts.  You would love the lakes here and in Wisconsin, and the people are generally pretty nice.

Offline GT

• 1972 GT-150
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »
Wisconsin is the state for you. Lots of Germans moved here over the past 100 years. (The Scandinavians got lost and ended up in Minnesota. :) NW Wisconsin is an hour from Minneapolis and is full of lakes and recreation. There is a Bosch plant in New Richmond, Wisconsin. I saw an ad where they were giving preferential hiring to those who speak German. The plant manufactures packaging equipment for industry. New Richmond also has a Wisconsin Technical School where you can get your real estate license. With all the Germans here, plenty of German Lutheran or Catholic churches to pick from. Of course, in the end, there are wonderful places to live all over the country. The hardest part is to pick which one!
1972 Glastron GT-150 with 1983 90 hp Merc
1978 Glastron GT-150 (parts)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 10:24:27 PM »
Oh yes. Wisconsin is great. New Richmond is also only 20min away from Hudson where I am at and the almighty St. Croix River. St. Croix County where New Richmond and Hudson are located is also the fastest growing county in WI so real estate is also pretty good.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O