Author Topic: Painting Parts of an Outboard/Outdrive  (Read 3294 times)

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
Painting Parts of an Outboard/Outdrive
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:25:46 AM »
This article from Mercstuff's Forum, posted by Gregg, on how to paint an Outdrive/Outboard:

http://mercstuff.com/painting.htm

"1. Prepare the chipped spots with a small tool (I like a small sanding wheel on a Dremel tool). Make sure you clean any pits to the bottom of their depth. You may need to use a Dremel tip grinder to do this... but failure to clean pits all the way down will ensure their return. Feather to the existing coating surface. Leave the exposed metal surfaces "sandpaper rough" to aid paint adhesion.

2. Use a paint dulling compound (available at paint stores, etc) on all remaining painted surfaces. Use fine steel wool to rub this in and very finely scratch the surfaces. Once finished, use a very dilute ammonia solution to wash the entire unit, then rinse thoroughly with water and wipe dry with clean cotton rags.

3. Use "metal prep" (like an iron phosphate or zinc phosphate solution... zinc is best if you can find it) on any bare metal spots. Metal prep is an acid, so be careful. Dab it on exposed metal spots (only) and allow it to air dry very slowly to build its crystalline structure (microscopic) on the surface. Do not wash.

4. Once everything is clean and dry, spray the entire unit with a good quality zinc-rich primer. I would do two coats on two successive days, if possible.

5. Top coat with a high quality enamel or better yet, Dupont Imron polyurethane enamel. I would do two coats of this as well."

I bought Zinc Chromate prime at Boater's Outlet in Roseville. For small scratches and nicks, the wooden end of an artist's paint brush, dipped into paint sprayed into the plastic paint cap, dabbed onto the small area, covers up. Let dry, buff out, and polish.  

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:35:11 AM by David V-153 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Painting Parts of an Outboard/Outdrive
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
Thanks for posting that Dave. I know my outdrive needs a fresh new coat of paint.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:38:01 AM »
My '64 Evinrude Lark 40 doesn't need painting, but it would be nice to freshen up the colors sometime. Can anyone identify the blue/gray (metalic?) they used in case I decide to get a quart or pint somewhere? While one area show what I believe is a greenish primer through, other places look like maybe a gray/silverish paint over the maybe original blue/gray.
Elliott
'64 Skiflite 142, '64 Evinrude Lark VI 40hp Selectric.
('59-'62) Wizard Bolero Imperial 15, '67 Evinrude Lark IX 40hp Selectric.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »
Your Johnson/Evinrude dealer is the best source. They may even have the original colors. If not, a paint shop can photograph the current colors and duplicate them.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:07:56 AM »
Hmm... my "local" J/E dealer might be over 100 miles away. I'll have to do some asking around, one might even be only 30 miles.
Elliott

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »
PPG has the color mix if you have anyone up there that mixes PPG.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline n0ukf

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
PPG has the formula for "'64 evinrude blue" or whatever it's called? ;) I think I'd have to take an unfaded sample in to match instead for that suggestion (not so hard, looking under the engine cover). But whatever is done (if anything) will wait til after I've rebuilt my transom and worked on the motor to get it running properly.
Elliott

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »
Antique and Classic Outboard Motor Paint & Decal

http://www.nymarine.ca/