Author Topic: Fed the fudge up  (Read 11368 times)

Offline WetRaider

Re: Fed the fudge up
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:52 PM »
Don -
I did contact Arrowhead (sent you a PM).  It took a little bit, but they called back and had given me a different Arrowhead part number.
Called Pat's Small Engine (the place I ordered the first one from) and they had the part number Arrowhead provided in stock.  He pulled it from the box, measured it out, and all physical dimensions, including pinion gear, matched.  They shipped it today, FedEx.  If I'm lucky, I'll get it tomorrow. 

Thanks a ton for your help, and for pointing me in the right direction.  I guess I wouldn't have assumed the 1150 used two different flywheels - I would have guessed the part number with the bigger gear was for turning a different motor.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 08:25:41 PM »
Ok got the PM......Glad it is working out.......if I can be of further help please let me know

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 04:51:45 PM »
Starter showed up!  It fit!
Took a bit to get it started up, but it finally got to chuggin' ...

1st start - new starter ...

This was with RPM at approximately 900/950 - obviously on the hose.  The motor sputters a little bit - and it shakes when it does ... From the video, you can hear the sputter and see the puffs of exhaust just a split second after.  Sounds and feels like a modern car engine with computerized fuel injection ... almost like there is something else changing the fuel mixture.  I would guess maybe a small split in a fuel line somewhere, but I don't see any fuel leaking out.  All fuel line is new, except the short piece from the cowl fitting to the pump.  I'm headed out to pick up a few feet of fuel line and replace the two pieces and fitting with just a single length from the primer bulb to the pump.  At the very least, I'll eliminate an opportunity for problems by getting rid of two pieces in favor of one.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
Sounds like it's running a little rich but you need to put it in the water to know for sure. When it's in water you can make adjustments to the idle mix screws on each carb. I think mine were set somewhere around 1.5 turns out from seated, that's a good starting point for setting them.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 06:05:36 PM »
I am going to flip.  my.  lid.

Motor ran fine - let it go for 10 minutes in idle.  Turned it off.  Turned off battery switch.  Left to buy fuel line.  Replaced 2 pieces of fuel line and two fittings between primer bulb and fuel pump with single piece fuel line.  Turn on battery switch.  Water on at hose, key in ignition ... dud.

Listen to the high-pitch whine while I have the key in start position.  Is this the kind of thing where I'm suppose to tap on the starter body with a hammer to get it going?  Not at all happy.

Now This !!!

btw, Rich, I have the idle mix screws at 1-1/4 turn out from lightly seated.  Before I fired it up this time, I set all of them in and backed each one out the same.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 06:09:36 PM »
It sounds either like the bendix is stuck and not kicking up to meet the flywheel or it's stripped on the motor shaft.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 06:17:06 PM »
Well - you can't see it in the video - but the pinion gear is rotating.  Somehow it is not rising against that spring to meet the flywheel ...
Not sure what to do about it ... I can tinker some more - but it's after 6, day before a holiday.  I don't want to be in the middle of the lake tomorrow and have this thing start screwing around like this. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »
I feel your pain; I bought an old motor for my Carlson thinking I could save a few bucks, in the end the repair costs and down time was just not worth it.  I purchased my 1998 Johnson 115 from TIKI and frankly it has been turn key for 5 years.  The last 2 years I even left the battery in it over the winter and it started right up...

I know times are tough but if you can swing it, buy the Evinrude and start enjoying the summer, your kids will remember the great times at the lake, I know I do...

just my 2 cents..

Joe

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 06:38:02 PM »
+2 !

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »
Joe -

We're leaving next week for Texas ... Courtney's dad is in a nursing home and she's not sure how much longer he'll be around.  This is one of those visits that need to be done while we have the opportunity, so there aren't later regrets.

Without that I'd probably go for that Evinrude ... with that trip, and knowing I need to hit Minneapolis a time or two before school starts in the fall for the kids ... I can't justify the expense without selling this motor.  I know to get out of it, I need one that starts and runs. 

If any of you in the greater Minneapolis/St. Paul metro know someone wanting to build a house - I can be their architect.  I'd pay a commission for the referral.  With an extra project or two to work on, I wouldn't mind snatching up a new motor.

Dan O'Connor

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »
Raider......is that the second starter to have the same symptom?  I think you should check all grounds.....take them off clean them and reconnect.......I remember one time I forgot to install the ground from the starter mount bolt to the block and it would spin but the drive would not engage the flywheel. Sometimes the powerheads have been painted and it can insulate the ground cables. Might be worth checking grounds with a meter.

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
Don -

The problem with the first starter was that the gear would rise, but not spin fast enough to get all the way up and engage.  The gear would rise, the flywheel would engage, then it would make an awful noise and both the flywheel and pinion gear stopped spinning.

When I put this new starter on, it worked perfectly several times.  Then, out of the blue, it spins, but the gear won't rise at all. 

I just replaced the 4 gauge wire from the solenoid to the starter, and used the same 4 gauge ground ... I've got enough marine 4 gauge to make a new ground - perhaps I'll run out to O'Reilly's and get me a couple ring terminals ...

Dan O'Connor

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Battery voltage is good?

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
Don -
It was.  Had just started the motor up a few minutes prior.  I suppose it could have crapped out ... would hate to throw another hundred dollars at it for a new battery.  Maybe I ought to put mine on the charger just to see ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »
Geez, what a pain! These are "new" starters if I recall from earlier in the thread. There must be some kind of warranty. Did you remove the starter from the motor and see if it acts the same? Could it be binding somehow?
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »
Yes, the starter is brand new.  Arrowhead Electrical Products (AEP).  It does have a 1 year warranty.

OK.  Checked out the battery.  Good.
Checked out the ground.  Good.
Checked voltage at the 12v + terminal on the starter and the starter ground.  Also good.

Had to pull a few things off the top to get to the starter drive gear - the shaft would rotate, but the gear wouldn't rise ... I couldn't lift it with my fingers while spinning it.  I took a screw driver, dropped it beneath the "bubble" that sits right below the gear and gave it a little pry - it popped out, and lifted up on rotation without any trouble. 

Turned the key - started right up.  Turned it off.  Turned it on.  Turned it off.  Turned it on.  Off.  On.  No problems again.  So ... I buttoned it all back up and put the cowl on.  I'll try again in the morning and see if it fires like it should.

My biggest concern would be when I'm in the middle of the lake and tank one runs dry ... I have to turn the motor off to swap fuel tanks (if it hasn't shut down itself) ... I don't want to be bobbing in the water trying to remove the cowl and get down to that starter drive gear to pry it back out of wherever it was stuck.

Maybe it's a one-time-thing. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
Hanging up on something. How hard did you have to pry?
Well if thats the case, try switching tanks before you run out. I TRY to do that but last year running out in front of that barge will make me more vigilant on the tank levels.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »
Ross,
I generally go out with two full tanks.
Run and play until the first one goes out, look at my watch and give myself about half as much time to get back to the ramp so I'm conservative on the second tank.  It only takes about 2 hours to run through the first six gallons.

It wasn't hanging up too hard - just one of those things where you have no leverage with your fingers.  You have to lift and spin at the same time, and while it's assembled, the flywheel is in the way of the spinning.  The screwdriver effort was really not a lot at all - just seemed to be the tool that could reach and get me underneath and use it like a fulcrum.  After that, I wouldn't be concerned except if it happened on the lake and I were having to disassemble on the water - if I dropped the top of my cowl and watched it sink, I wouldn't be happy.

Dan O'Connor

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »
Spent 12 gallons on Rathbun today.
Even my wife commented that the motor "feels and sounds like it's running better than it ever has."
That's good news.  Boat starts (almost) and idles like a dream right now.  I can engage forward and leave it at idle and the boat up and moves at idle speed.  No revving the engine to get it going and trying to keep RPM high enough to not shut down.  Seems like my "sweet spot" is about 900 RPM at idle.  There's no real "thump" engaging forward.

The prediction came true, though.  We pulled into a little cove and shut the engine down to do some swimming.  Kids loved jumping off the boat into the water.  Several times the wake coming through the cove was high enough to put the rub-rail 4-5 inches under.  That's no big deal- only a gallon or two of water in the boat at the end of the day.  But, when it was time to leave, the motor grumbled like it was going to fire & didn't - but the starter "stuck' again and I had to pull the cowl off and back out 6 bolts, and 3 nuts to get it pried up.  Once it started, I had to put it all together and not get my knuckles knocked by the flywheel. 

Other than that - it was a great day out.  I love the way the motor is running (besides the sticking starter) - and it's a great time to sell it and buy something lighter weight.

Dan O'Connor

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Re: Fed the fudge up
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 11:44:50 PM »
Selling the boat or just the motor?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
1990 Sierra 1700