Author Topic: New batch of windshield frames, horn grilles and Bow caps  (Read 33521 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
New batch of windshield frames, horn grilles and Bow caps
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:48 AM »
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3799

by rayar3 ? Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Alright guys I'm making a list of who wants what. Please post here if you're interested and what you need. I should start mid January if all goes well.

Windshield frames fit:
CVX-16, CVX-18, CVX-20 Sprint, Intimidator, and Jet

Horn grills fit:

Most every Glastron from the 70's and 80's ranging from the Scimitar to the bowriders.

Bow caps fit all CVX's and I'll get a PN later and edit.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:48:45 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline rayar3

Re: New batch of windshield frames, horn grilles and Bow caps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »
You beat me to it! If anyone's interested I updated the post with pics. Also I'd make the footballs if I had a set to duplicate!
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
Pictures added ...
Thanks rayar3

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Someone makes the Glastron football with decals, but we need the 3-dimensional one, either in plastic, or better yet in metal. I would not care if they were unpainted.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:14:04 AM »
Dave
You might be able to find a set at Tim's marine in Grantburg for cheap ...Unless he saw some of the eBay ones going for $175 !

GT150 JEFF

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 07:50:03 AM »
I have a set not sure if all intact, they are up in ND.  Will have my bother in law take them off and send down.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »
My present Glastron football logos on the V-153 are acceptable, but if a new set were available at a reasonable price, I would purchase them. Seems like that would be a good business venture for someone assuming that it does not infringe on a patent right or production right. I know I audited a company called "Fresh Caps" in Hopkins years ago. They sold major league sports headgear, and paid royalties for every hat sold. That was the company that Draw Pearson bought into. 
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline MarkS

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
David wrote:
assuming that it does not infringe on a patent right or production right
I just sent them an email asking about this, will let you know when/if they respond.  I would think the current Glastron corporation would be the only one with any possible claim to the copyright, right?
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline MarkS

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
Got the following response from Glastron corporate this morning!;
   from   
date   Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:49 AM
subject   FW:

hide details 8:49 AM (9 hours ago)

Hi Mark,

We have no problem with that.  Good luck!!

Leone Chirhart

Marketing Manager

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:08:10 PM by MarkS »
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 06:45:18 PM »
" We have no problem with that.  Good luck!! "

If that's the case then ...
Could some one make a 1972 CV16 in red and one in blue ...Haven't made up my mind which color I want ...
LOL

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
Seems like if there was enough interest that the Glastron and Carlson emblems would be a good little market for someone already in the business. There are a few companies that reproduce the emblems for car restoration. Why not boats?    What about the guy down in Florida that does the Glastron Carlson plates for the CVX's? I purchased a set. All he'd need is a set to follow to set his engraving machine to.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »
What's the price on the horn grill?  I'd really like to get a new on on my CVX.

Marc

Offline rayar3

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 12:13:53 PM »
Prices are as follows:

Horn Grills: $100 for plain metal and sandblasted finish, $110 for a complete ready to mount painted, polished, cleared with 3M adhesive for mounting. Just peel off the adhesive film and stick it on.

Bow Caps: $75 with a brushed finish, no holes drilled because you're boat might not line up with the holes so you do it to match.

Windshield frames: $175/set brushed finish no drills also. You can drill stock holes or tap from the back side for a clean mount, your choice.

Shipping is standard USPS flat rate box and I do accept PayPal or check. PayPal has a $3 extra fee because they're greedy! I won't accept money now, just a "Hey I want one!" is good enough for me. I'll let everyone know when I'm ready to ship. There's too many variables when I make these to give you a set date of when they'll be ready. Feel free to ask any questions. I've made these before so if anyone has any pics of theirs installed feel free to post a pic!
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline eric james

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 04:19:25 PM »
Couldn't be more excited about a set of windshield frames for my CVX-18!

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »
Any update on these items?  Looking forward to installing my new horn grill. That will be one more project I can check the "completed" box on.

Marc

Offline rayar3

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:59:59 PM »
Hey guys sorry but I just don't post too much here! Here's the news:

I just bought 2 CVX windshields for the frames and probably paid too much but oh well. The CVX-20 windshield was trashed and it's already headed to the dump. The CVX-16 windshield is decent and available if anyone needs it. (I don't need it. I want a 1985+ CVX20 Sprint) It's $200 if ya want it. It's in Somers, CT 06071 if you want to come and get it.

So I have 2 nice sets of frames and I'll get going on reproducing them soon. I'll warn you all that I'm getting married in less than 3 months so this won't be a priority!

Also I need someone to measure their CVX bowcap for me and maybe post some pics and dimensions. I have a really nice copy but I want to make sure it's OK before I make more. I ran into a problem with the pattern windshield frames and I don't want to run into a similar problem with the bow caps. OR if someone has a "donor" CVX bowcap that they're willing to donate or I'll buy it from you please let me know. I'm just trying to keep and establish a parts base for everyone.

With that same note: if you need anything for your boat that I don't have, please let me know on this post. I can always make a one-off copy for you. It'd be best to let me know soon as I can run the parts with everything at once to save $$$.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:13:00 PM by rayar3 »
Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline rayar3

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
Well had a good lazy day at the foundry today. Almost done with the pattern for the horn grills, the bow cap is awaiting the belt sander to remove the bondo filler and the windshield frames are on the table awaiting clay filling for the screw holes.

I got to use the Bridgeport today for the first time while making the pattern. Pretty cool machine. Everything is being fitted before I paint and mount everything to the board. I lost the first pattern I made so this time I went with a double impression so I get 2 parts for every 1 mold. The windshield frames will be molded L & R separately with a bow cap included in each one so I'll have plenty to go around. I'm planning on making 10 sets of frames, 5 bow caps, and 6 horn grills. If I need more then I'll make them as needed.

Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline rayar3

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »
Well guys they're poured! Came out really well and they need just a little bit more cleaning before they're ready to ship. For those getting anxious I should be shipping the frames and bow caps within 2 weeks. The horn grills take a lot more work to clean in between the grills and then paint so they'll be a little longer. But since I have a pattern for everything I can always make more. I'm thinking about making some logos too but that'll be a "pet" project to see if I can get the detail I want using fine sand or even plaster for a core box.

Ray

1973 CV-16

Offline eta1091

• Chillin The Most - Alaska Intimidator
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
Awesome am i too late to order a set of windshield frames for my intimidator up here in Alaska?
Thanks
Gene
1984 Intimidator Big Lake Alaska

Offline rayar3

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Sorry Gene the windshield frames are gone and I don't see making any more for a while. I don't have a pattern for them and because of that they required too much cleaning and weld repair. I do have a couple of bowcaps left though. The windshield frames do come up from time to time though and you should be able to find a set in no time. Just search CL using a search tool like search tempest, ebay seems to be dry lately.
Ray

1973 CV-16