Author Topic: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration  (Read 21056 times)

Offline awc105

Re: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2023, 09:48:22 PM »
More Pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2023, 09:34:44 PM »
No pics this time, but I figured I'd check-in anyway.

Ended up burning through the primer when finish sanding, so today I went about touching up all those spots. I really thought hard about whether it was worth the extra time since the spots were only on edges, but I wouldn't want to risk losing adhesion so I decided to do it. Hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to finish the sanding and start spraying top coat. My goal for the summer was to get the bottom painted and back on the trailer, so I need to hurry up, summer is getting close to ending...

-Andrew

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2023, 11:17:03 AM »
Had another productive weekend!

Long read, sorry...

Sanded my primer touch-ups quickly with 220 grit, filled the remaining pinholes (not many) using the 3M glazing putty, then did the 320 grit finish sanding. The last steps before topcoat are a scuff with 400 grit equivalent scotch-brite pad (the gray one), a quick rinse with water and dry, solvent wipe with T0170, and finally a tack rag.

One thing I learned when spraying the 545 primer is that it lays out much easier when using the reducer (duh), but when I initially put it on it seemed quite thin by itself so I sprayed without it, it laid down fine, but the orange peel was more pronounced. Anyways from here on out I would recommend thinning at 25% because it laid out like a dream. I also removed the internal screen on the 3M PPS cup.

Labor day weekend is coming up and I am targeting that as the perfect time to get the topcoat finished. I'm going to need 3 days to complete the spraying process. This upcoming friday will be setup, finishing the hull prep, taping, and then laying down the white on the entire hull. Then sunday after letting the white sit for around 48 hours I then tape it off to spray the blue for the classic glastron design. Before I did any work on the hull bottom I made templates of the paint lines, so I will use those to layout the tape for the blue region. Once the tape is laid out it is recommend that the fresh paint is scuffed with the red scotch-brite then I can apply the metallic blue. Once the blue is done I remove the tape as soon as possible, re-tape the whole hull, then spray clear over the white and blue (awlcraft SE is a basecoat clearcoat system, unlike awlcraft 2000). I am planning on then letting it sit undisturbed for 7 days. After that I can finally start thinking about flipping it and putting it back on the trailer.

In other news I don't think I ever shared any pictures of the restored dash. I spent quite a while a few winters ago getting it repaired. I had several cracks, the glove box door was broken, and some of the gauge flanges were broken. The best thing I found to repair the cracks was oatey black ABS cement, the solvent in it melts the cement into the original ABS plastic to form a bond that I wouldn't be surprised is stronger than the original plastic. To hold pieces of dash in the right location I found masking tape to work quite well. I found an old V174 dash on ebay that I got some gauge mounting flanges from to replace the ones that were missing. I glued a piece of 3/4" plywood underneath the hole for the ignition switch to beef it up a bit. For the glove box door I had a 3/8" piece of delrin sheet on the shelf so I went about shaping that to match the old one. Once done I painted the whole assembly with dark gray plastidip rubberized coating. During the restoration process I had sanded off a lot of the original texture that was on the plastic, so the plastidip helped get some of that texture back. I replaced all the toggle switches and indicator lights, and bought a set of Sierra Heavy Duty series gauges (I really liked the simplistic look of them). I also refurbished the original horn assembly as well.

And finally I have been disappointed to find that there aren't a lot of options for marine performance exhaust for the small block ford, and I am set on keeping the 302 for this boat. Specifically for me I want to get away from the cast iron and get a set of cast aluminum manifolds. After some comparing I have found that the port spacing for an LS chevy is almost the same as the small block ford, so I am going about designing an adapter plate since there are many options for aluminum manifolds for the LS. I have been 3D printing some prototypes, I'm on revision 3 now, the biggest fitment problem is clearance for the spark plug, but I think I now have that solved. Some people may say it's a waste of time, but I rather enjoy it :) I'm looking at using these nice IMCO manifolds : https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-110372-imco-powerflow-ls-chevy-kit-with-stainless-riser-and-polished-manifolds.aspx

I am also looking at upgrading to fuel injection at some point, most likely the Holley Sniper 2. The manifolds above already have a built in bung for an O2 sensor.

Anyways enough rambling, enjoy what's left of summer! Hopefully my next post will have some glorious pics of a completely painted hull bottom and perhaps even be back on the trailer!

-Andrew

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2023, 11:18:14 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2023, 11:19:07 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2023, 11:20:29 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2023, 11:21:04 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2023, 11:22:08 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2023, 06:44:17 AM »
The hull is coming along nicely, and awesome job on restoring that Dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2023, 08:29:52 AM »
Looks great, love the dash rebuild.    One thing caught my attention was the paint timing.     I've not used the Awlcraft product that you specified, it might be different.    In typical basecoat/clear applications you have roughly 24 hours to lay a clear over a fresh basecoat, Ive shot base at night and clear in the morning with adequate results.    If you wait longer, then you must scuff the base, and reshoot another layer of base, then your clear.    The clear has to penetrate or bond to the fresh base.   One of my early B/C jobs I scuffed the base, then shot clear.    Looked great for about 6 months then started flaking off.   Maybe the Awlcraft is more flexible in timing?   
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline awc105

« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2023, 01:03:56 PM »
Hey thanks guys!

@Plugcheck Yeah good catch, I have been thinking about that a bit. According to the TDS, at 77F I have between 1 hour and 3 days to apply the clear, however I agree with you that the sooner the clear is applied the better. My biggest concern is accidentally pulling up white base when I go to remove the tape after spraying the blue over it. Perhaps I am worrying too much and 24 hours is plenty of time for the paint to cure enough that putting tape on it won't harm it.
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2023, 01:12:31 PM »
I think I found the answer in the Awlgrip Application guide (page 14):

"First Cure Cycle: This cycle requires 12?24 hours at the standard
conditions of 77˚F (25˚C), 50% R.H. When this stage is complete the
painted surface can be handled; masking tape can be applied for striping
and the finish appears to be dry. The coating can now be exposed to
weather."

So yes, I will reduce the wait time from 48 to 24 hours, thanks again Plugcheck

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2023, 11:08:53 PM »
Ask me sometime how I learned this😪
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline awc105

« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2023, 09:35:04 AM »
Well it has been a busy weekend. Friday after work I got down to sealing the spray booth back up, sweeping the floor, etc... in preparation for the weekends events. Saturday was a day of relaxation in preparation for what was to come. Sunday morning is when the real work began, I pulled the boat out for a final wash with water and a gray scotchbrite pad, then a blow dry. At the same time I also sprayed the floor with a mist of water to keep dust down. The boat was then pulled back in the shop to be sealed up for paint. Once sealed in I did a solvent wipe, then masked off the rub rail edge in order to paint the whole hull bottom "Stark White," after masking I did a second solvent wipe. I then proceeded to mix the paint and let it induce for 10 minutes. During this time I proceeded to tack rag the surface. After that I shot 3 layers of white which laid down very well. At that point in the day it was around 9pm so I planned to come back monday morning to continue.

Monday morning I made copies of the master patterns I made for positioning the tape line for the blue/white transition. I then applied those to the hull surface and ran my tape lines, this took much longer than I expected, but once I got the tapelines down, the rest of the masking was fairly straight forward. Once  the masking was done I used a red scotchbrite to scuff up the surface the blue would be applied to, I then scuffed it up again with a gray scotchbrite, then another solvent wipe. I mixed the metallic blue "Carribean Blue" being very careful to utilize every last drop, reminding myself how expensive it was. I sprayed 3 layers of blue which came out great! After an hour I removed the masking and taped the rub rail once again to spray the whole hull with clear, another solvent wipe was done of course. I then mixed the clear and laid down 2 layers per the instructions. At this point it was around 10pm. I am very happy with the results, although one problem I did have was bugs... Never spray at night...I though my chamber was sealed but apparently not well enough, so there will likely be some rework of the clear...but besides that it couldn't have went better in my opinion. Excited to see what it looks like in the sun!

That's all for now.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2023, 09:35:42 AM »
One more pic
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2023, 09:34:47 AM »
Looks great, nice work
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2023, 10:26:18 AM »
That blue swoosh looks great !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2023, 06:39:55 AM »
That looks fantastic, and when it?s in the water, no one will see where them bugs landed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline awc105

« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2023, 06:06:46 PM »
Hey thanks guys!

Yeah it took quite a while getting the swoosh just right...I'm a perfectionist (or so my wife says) lol

Planning to flip and put on trailer next weekend. Season is coming to a close soon, she'll be put in storage in October, I'll have to find other non-hull related things to work on during the winter, perhaps chrome-plating and sanding/polishing of all the metal hardware and rub-rail. Any suggestions on what to coat brushed aluminum with to protect finish? This is what I used for the windshield frame : https://shop.everbritecoatings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=52&landingPage=https://www.everbritecoatings.com/protectaclear&_gl=1*25ovn2*_ga*MzY0MDA1MzA1LjE2OTQ0NzM1MTE.*_ga_1SBQK38DF4*MTY5NDQ3MzUxMS4xLjEuMTY5NDQ3MzUxNS41Ni4wLjA

However it is quite expensive...

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla