Author Topic: off topic  (Read 3932 times)

Offline terry

off topic
« on: January 06, 2013, 04:50:32 PM »
is there any one on the board that by chance is a heavy equipment operator?thanks
terry/sandee - 1978 cvx 16 deluxe-modified 2000 100hp johnson.78 cvx16-140 mercury.87 stratos vt rocket 225 Yamaha v-max.

Offline MarkS

Re: off topic
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »
I worked for a cable laying company right after high school, ran a D6 Cat dozer, Case backhoe, and an R45 Ditch Witch trenching machine for about a year.  (1972-73)
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline terry

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
i am wondering, i lost my job and i am looking to go to school to be a equipment operator i see are local unions for operateing engineers have apprenticeship.i contacted them and they told me come in pay 15.00 we tell you the good/bad take a test(WHATS ON THE TEST-COULD YOU EVEN PASS IT) then we give you a certificate to go and sell your self to companys.how can you sell your self with 0 experience.should i go to school then look at a union?or do i need to even worry about joining the union-say you go to work at a company like a waste land fill were you would run a loader or dozer.thanks
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:02:05 PM by terry »
terry/sandee - 1978 cvx 16 deluxe-modified 2000 100hp johnson.78 cvx16-140 mercury.87 stratos vt rocket 225 Yamaha v-max.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:24:46 PM »
Terry ...
Where you an OTR truck driver ?

Offline MarkS

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:49:51 AM »
find something else, stay in school, go to college. Hope this helps?   Good luck with your decision.
I usually have a tendency to remember only the good times, not the bad for some reason.  But Terry C is much more realistic, good advise!  Maybe check out some tech schools for something that isn't seasonal, and much safer?  I was "ten feet tall and bulletproof" back then, and it was a different time altogether.  (Hey kid, can you run one of these?  Sure, just show me how to start it!)  Truck driving (local or OTR), Auto Body repair, HVAC, all things that still go on when the economy is crazy might be better choices?
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline kert0307

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
If I were to recommend a trade I would look at getting into being a diesel tech or go for something manufacturing related like certified welder or machinist. Diesel tech would be best imo... gone are the days when shade tree mechanics can work on diesels. With all the new emissions equipment and electronics, I see the need for diesel techs rising.

Manufacturing is going up now too, but it follows the economy, so it has it's ups and downs like construction.

Offline terry

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:19:21 AM »
yes,i was a over the road truck driver and got into a accident that was not my fault and my company fired me over it.i have tryed to find another job in trucking but as soon as you say you were let go they dont want to talk to you.i would love to do like industrial maintenance or be a electrician but are tech schools are 1-2 year classes and we all know full time school,a job that pays 10.00,bills,house we all know the deal. i need something i can get into with say 3-6 months training and earn a livable wage.its a bad time when things happen we are all human accidents happen do we mean them to no but when your job is taken away and now companys wont talk to you it just makes me wonder whats wrong with america.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:46 PM »
Terry check yer PM's
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
I did auto body for 15 yrs. Started at a shop when i was 15 mowing lawn, sweeping and worked my way and learned the trade. After about 5 yrs pretty much ran that shop, then me and a friend got our own shop.Did that for  few years. Then moved back to Minneapolis area and worked in a few shops for a number of years. The highs were high but the lows were lows. I was paid on commission and if there is no work I didnt get paid. My pay would change about $10,000 a year up or down depending on weather and the economy. One year it changed about 30,000! Budget for that! It finally got to the point that i said that I had enough. I asked to be laid off and started looking for a new job redid my resume and worded it differently so it sounded like I had done more than just auto body. I didn't lie about anything just used different words and emphasized different tasks. I interviewed for a few different jobs (nothing auto related) before I was contacted by Farmers Insurance about becoming an agent. A few interviews later some thinking and the whole pros and cons. It was commission based and I new the risks. But I would control the amount of business that came threw the door not some one else. So when it is slow no one to blame but myself. I signed up for some classes to get my licenses and started my own business. I LOVE IT. Just wish I would have done it sooner my back and knees would be A LOT better. Just remember the tolls and effects that some jobs have on your body. I am sure at some point I will need a surgery on my back and knees. Not to mention that I cant smell very good. Like they say work smarter not harder
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:06:51 AM »
Very well written Shawn. I work as a controller at a steel fabrication shop and can relate to what Shawn has said about the shop workers - going to the chiropractor is a monthly routine event. Broken toes from steel falling on the feet. Cuts, spinters in the eyes. Surgery on the hands and toes. Constant pain in the back, arms, and legs.  

I have a BSB in accounting degree from the University of Minnesota and am a certified public accountant. My 35 years in public accounting, with the time pressures and the constant changes in working with a variety of businesses, and the wealth of knowledge required - generally accepted accounting principles, accounting software, income tax software, depreciation software, audit techniques, work paper documentaion, financial statement presentation, income tax laws for individuals, partnerships, and corporations has not been easy, but it has helped my thinking process and ability to solve problems and has broadened me as a person. I switched from public accounting to private industry 6 1/2 years ago to become controller at an ornamental iron and structural steel fabrication shop as their controller in full charge of the financial department. I love my job and hope to work for a few more years.  

I would choose the education route (in my case, 7 years beyond high school), not only for a better job, but for the quality of life it can bring. Not everyone wants or can go to college, but do your best at whatever you do.  

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:12:23 AM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline GCarlover

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:53 PM »
Terrry; How many of those boats do you still Have? Is yours the one (blue CVX 16 for sale) from Blair WI on the other site?  I thought it had a 100hp newer Johnson that was re tuned with Hi-Comp heads.  I wanted to buy a 77 Orange with Cream when it was new but waited until 1980 and got Persian Orange.  See my pics on 1980 CVX 16.  How do they all run?  A lot of info on the Checkmate-Boats.com forum on 140hp Johnson Loopers which is what I have.  Their 16 ft boats weigh about 740 lbs(TRV 16 rated 140hp; MX 16.4 rated 150 hp. (Boatspecs.iboats.com)  I knew a guy in 1970 that had a Green metalflake Sidewinder 16ft with a 125 Merc that sold me on this type boat.  At the time I had a V-163 with a 135 Merc.  Then went to MN and rode in a 1970 Carlson CV 16, the first year for them.  Rich in NE.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:34:06 PM by GCarlover »

Offline terry

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:05 PM »
i no longer own a glastron.yes that was my last blue cvx16.it was a 78 with the modified 100.miss that boat.i also owned a 78 cvx16 in orange with the cream bottom.they are both over on youtube.right now i have a 88 baja sunsport will be looking to sell that in the spring.hope to get a cvx20 jet that i can put this motor in that has been sitting in my garage.just got to wait to get back to work.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »
Have you thought about FEDEX or UPS?  I have about a dozen friends that work for them doing either route delivery or driving the rigs from one center to another. A friend I have known for 12  years has been with UPS for about 18 years. Just got off of delivery routes last February and started driving the rigs. He works nights and is making $33.50 an hour. That's just shy of 70k. He also takes some extra shifts that gets him time and a half. Pushing $50 an hour. Great benefits and lots of vacation. His schedule is driving Monday - Friday nights. If I remember correctly he gets double for major holidays.

See if either of them work for you.

Offline terry

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
yes i have called on a lot of people.it is just the fired on a otr driver record that kills you. i thought about buying my own truck but i dont want that responsibility.if i cant find work by spring i think i will return home to pa and go to work with the gas companys working on the marcellus shale as a well tender.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 01:33:44 PM »
Get a copy of the police report and your driving record and I'd apply everywhere and just bring those documents with you and plead your case. Here's my spic-n-span driving record until x-date. Here's the report from the accident stating I was not a fault and maybe that will get you something. With that info in hand and a honest explanation that your previous employer let you go after this accident that was clearly not my fault and my record has been clean for x-amount of time and x-amount of miles.

I'm going on the assumption that your record has been clean and this was just an unfair firing after one accident.

Hope something turns up for you.