Author Topic: Alternative power steering set-ups for I/O  (Read 4730 times)

Offline kert0307

Alternative power steering set-ups for I/O
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:27:05 AM »
When I was over in Nebraska last weekend having a secret meeting with Brandon, he mentioned something about someone's power steering setup that might work on my boat. I think it might have been Jeff's? Where they put a small ram right on the steering arm and used a steering orbital in the dash. Anyone have any info or pictures on anything like this? I don't have room for a standard Merc power steering set up because of my aftermarket exhaust and through hulls. When my CVX-16 gets over 40mph all it wants to do is go straight, you really have to crank on it to get a small turn. Also the added stability at high speeds will be a plus.

Offline 75starflight

Re: Alternative power steering set-ups for I/O
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
It was the set up that is on gregg's cv-16 for an outboard that I was looking at modifying to fit Phoenix Rising. I think that the ability is there to work on an I/O setup.

Found a link for the product he had installed. It is SeaStar Solutions Baystar.

here is a link for the info
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/baystar/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:46:44 PM by 75starflight »
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
I have seen some Teleflex SeaStar hydraulic systems that are made for I/O. Though I'm not a big fan of hydraulic steering it could be a decent alternative to automotive style power steering.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 06:55:36 PM »
I'm kinda making this up as I'm going along, but what if you used external steering rams (like the offshore boats commonly run) and plumb them looped to push/pull hooked to a no-feedback standard hydraulic helm?

The rams are expensive, but usually cheap used.

Might be complicated as far as mount locations on your hull. Seems it would be better than fighting the leverage that comes thru that little steering arm. Again, thinking out loud without much thought...

I suppose you could do the same thing mounted internally to the steering arm, the twin cyinders would give you better control than one cylinder without the power assist, but mounted at the rear of the outdrive like they typically are would give you more leverage and control/stability.

There are also full hydraulic systems that are powered by your steering pump or a separate electric pump, but you get into thousand$$$ with those.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 07:36:26 PM by wexrocks »
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
Here is a CVX18 with external hydraulic steering to give you an idea what it might look like. His boat was running fast enough that he needed something stronger/safer than the stock steering. As Wex said, big bucks.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:59:02 PM »
CVX Fever,
Thanks for posting the pic, very good example of what I was saying, and it saves trying to explain the mounting cap on the outdrive to anyone who hasn't seen it before. Also shows a nice drive shower!

This style of external hydraulic cylinder is typically used to assist the factory style setup internally, it is looped in with the hydraulic power assist lines that run the power steering ram that connects to the steering arm inside the transom. It adds stability by adding leverage, and helps reduce slop and torque steer.

Now, to completely replace the internal system, this may not be the right answer, but with dual rams... could be a potential solution in the works.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02:27 PM »
From frankm on the national site
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline kert0307

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
I've seen those outboard cylinder setups. I've also seen the price just for one cylinder @ $1500+ not sure I want to throw another 4k into this boat for steering...

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:37:01 AM »
Kert,
Systems occasionally come up used on the offshore boat sites, usually much cheaper than new.

Depending how industrious you are, you could find a local hydraulics shop to work with, maybe put together a system at a very reasonable price. The offshore performance product companies know who their target market is, and the markup on what is essentially standard hydraulic equipment is ridiculous. But, I guess it comes with all the fittings and lines figured out for you, probably comes in a pretty box, and, might even come with a cool sticker!  ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline kert0307

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 11:43:57 AM »
The thing I noticed was that most of the cylinders are made all stainless in the offshore stuff. I know from work that stainless costs 5x what plan carbon does just for the raw steel....

I do have an extra set of trim cylinders sitting around too, but I really don't want to cobble something together just because I'm cheap.

Here's the prices for new setups...

http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-1429-full-hydraulic-kits.aspx
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:50:24 AM by kert0307 »

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »
I can keep an eye out for a used system or someone who went a different direction after purchasing. They do come up. You would have to talk to the manufacturer though, because while they do make wing plates for the alphas, the geometry may be off if using one of the Bravo systems. I considered the add-on ram(s) for the CSS-19, but that only assists your stock system and you want to eliminate the internal steering ram so that doesn't help. Most alpha systems available are exactly that, add-on. But, I've spoken with manufacturers that will put a system together. Just a lot of $$$.

What if you used all the factory equipment, mounted off to the side and used a linkage arm? Not looking at the inside of your particular boat, I don't know if that's possible.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19