Author Topic: OB exhaust manifold gasket change  (Read 3215 times)

Offline wiliermdb

OB exhaust manifold gasket change
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »
Having the great pleasure of changing the gaskets on my Evinrude 88 this weekend. I noticed a little water in the lower cowl and in a couple of indentions at the rear of the motor the last time I went out. I ran it on the muffs and saw where it was leaking around three bolts, all on the outside edge.

Needless to say, I ended up with two broken bolts (out of 21) on the lower left corner. I'm soaking them with Liquid Wrench and praying that they come out without having to go to the extreme measures.

Let me tell you, there was some carbon built up in the exhaust box. Looked like a nasty BBQ grill. One product that does work is PBlaster small engine tune up. Does what it says about breaking down the carbon. I'll hit it with some carb cleaner tonight to get all the residue off and my new bolts and gaskets should be at the house via mail on Saturday. Soaking the exhaust tuner plate in a pan of gas to get the carbon off of there.

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
Re: OB exhaust manifold gasket change
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »

I ended up with two broken bolts (out of 21) on the lower left corner. I'm soaking them with Liquid Wrench and praying that they come out without having to go to the extreme measures.

Sorry to hear about the broken bolts.  :'(

Did they break off flush? Can you get at them with a vise grip?
If they are flush, I have a couple tricks;
1) Die grind slots in them and remove with a screw driver.
2) Have a good welder tack a nut to the stud from the inside of the nut & remove with wrench (the heat of the tack will loosen it)
1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
After removing the outside cover and the exhaust plate I have about 1/4 to 3/8 inch sticking out. I'd like to be able to apply heat via a torch but with all the gas fumes present I'd think it would go "Boom" with a torch flame. There are the exhaust holes to the cylinder heads about 5 inches away. I have a few options to try. They are threaded in about 1/4 inch. I may try the slot first with a dremel tool and then use a screw driver.

Will keep the group posted on progress.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:46:37 PM »
Got the new gaskets and bolts in today and have it all put back together. A 5 minute test run on the hose was a success with no leaks. Plan to take the boat out Sunday afternoon for a run up and down the river.  Removing the old gasket was like scraping concrete.

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 07:08:08 PM »
Well, got the new gaskets on and all new bolts except for the two that the heads broke off of. Luckily, they are in a spot that the surrounding bolts apply enough pressure to keep everything nice and sealed. Took it out today for a 10 mile run and all is dry under the cowling.  Was not able to get those two bolts to break free and didn't want to snap them off in the head just yet. Maybe when I get done restoring the 115 I'll swap the motors out but if ain't broke, I not messing with it now.