Author Topic: Oh No! Not Again!!  (Read 3604 times)

Offline buckz6319

Oh No! Not Again!!
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:03:30 PM »
 Oh No! Not Again!!  I just noticed this a little while ago, while I was letting the engine run only for about 15 minutes. The engine oil on the dip stick does not look like Carmel yet...

it maybe the 93 manifold and riser, I put on this 86 merc,  cracked head ( but I pressured tested the cooling passages), don't think it's a cracked block...

I guess I need to figure out what is going on now with this Mrecruiser, not sure if I want to even know. I guess I need to take a deep breath, sort out some things, and make a decision yet again on what to do with this project...

Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline 75starflight

Re: Oh No! Not Again!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »
hang in there dwayne had a thought my 140 the head I bought used, the valve cover bolt holes were drilled all the way into the water jacket causing an water leak into the valve cover. it never did affect the oil pan. by the look of your pictures it almost looks like you have this same issue check and see if you have water sitting there in your valve cover bolt holes. if so use a little teflon tape to seal it up that's what fixed my problem.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »
hang in there dwayne had a thought my 140 the head I bought used, the valve cover bolt holes were drilled all the way into the water jacket causing an water leak into the valve cover. it never did affect the oil pan. by the look of your pictures it almost looks like you have this same issue check and see if you have water sitting there in your valve cover bolt holes. if so use a little teflon tape to seal it up that's what fixed my problem.
thanks Brandon...I will check that out, could be an issue, thanks for the heads up, certainly makes sense. I will take a look at them later, too hot out at the moment, and I will let you know the outcome.

I did remove the new spark plugs and have a look see into the combustion chamber. The piston tops almost blinded me, when I used my 300 lumen light, they appear to be like new, maybe an head gasket issue, but the compression test was good

I wonder if the 4" diameter 12' expandable black non perforated plastic pipe I bought, and hooked up to the 3" rubber boot, has anything to do with this issue? I put that pipe on there so it would act like a muffler, and exhaust noise reduction. It worked, and looked like good water flow coming out too...idk

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:42:27 PM »
well, just checked the valve cover bolt holes, and only oil in them. I took a small wire and poked it into every hole, none were drilled through
thanks

Offline MarkS

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:01:37 AM »
If it's any consolation Dwayne it's supposed to "cool off" some today with the passing of a cold front.  (It was so hot here yesterday I literally couldn't breathe outside.)  Hope it's something cheap and easy to fix buddy, we're all pulling for ya' !
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:48:56 AM »
If it's any consolation Dwayne it's supposed to "cool off" some today with the passing of a cold front.  (It was so hot here yesterday I literally couldn't breathe outside.)  Hope it's something cheap and easy to fix buddy, we're all pulling for ya' !
Mark, yes cooling off would be nice!
I too hope an easy fix, and thanks for encouragement.  I got to back track and figure out what I did to cause this issue.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
To start, I've not had your exact issue, but as a thought, this is what I would try.   Since the oil is contaminated anyway, drain it out, remove the water line from the outdrive, hook to a hose, apply low water pressure, and see where the water comes out.  This being done without the engine running.   If the isse is with a passage drilled or tapped too deep in the VC/Head area, you would think water would bubble into that area.   If its internal in the block, then the water comes out the oil drain hole.   Anywhere else, you should be able to find.  Hope this helps, good luck, were all pulling for ya.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:40:45 PM »
To start, I've not had your exact issue, but as a thought, this is what I would try.   Since the oil is contaminated anyway, drain it out, remove the water line from the outdrive, hook to a hose, apply low water pressure, and see where the water comes out.  This being done without the engine running.   If the isse is with a passage drilled or tapped too deep in the VC/Head area, you would think water would bubble into that area.   If its internal in the block, then the water comes out the oil drain hole.   Anywhere else, you should be able to find.  Hope this helps, good luck, were all pulling for ya.
thanks for the input. I appreciate it
The engine is out of the boat, and being run on the ground, and checked out before I put it in the boat

This is a used 1986 140 that I bought because the engine ran good, and  there was no signs of Carmel colored oil,Wendy's Frosty oil,  just old dark brown oil without signs of water intrusion which I was happy to see.

I ran a pressure test on the cooling passages, and block. It held pressure until I released the air, so at that point I decided to move forward with the project.

I was told maybe it's condensation because I keep the engine covered up. I was told that maybe the riser gasket ( so I ordered 2 and awaiting on them), I was told maybe a cracked head, but my pressure test should have showed that up.

The last engine I had held pressure also, however it also had an internal engine block crack, that showed up after a couple of hours running on the ground. I found the internal crack by using an entire bottle of  some really dark green food coloring in a 1 gallon jug. I poured the whole gallon of dyed dark green water into the hose, and it went into the cooling passages. I then  added an additional gallon of dyed water, added air pressure to the system, and hours later, I had Dark Green Dyed water in the engine oil

so maybe I need to try that again? idk

I need to regroup, and really think about this. it is strange that this just happened

thanks for pulling for me, sometimes I wish I could have afforded a boat that was water ready, but that wasn't going to happen at this point. I buy problems and think I can fix them, but sometimes I may get in over my head...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:15:53 PM by buckz6319 »