Author Topic: 1979 CVZ-19 convertible......  (Read 16179 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 1979 CVZ-19 convertible......
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:23 PM »
AWSOME !
Just watched it over at CGOA ...

Build it ( Scimitar ) just like OlRed's and you'll be a happy man !

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
with cooler temps and very little sunshine, there were very few boats out, and the river was our playground today! running out of chances to get out there as the season winds down...

got to spend a few hours out with the new owner of my old CVX. hoping between this season and next to get some more classic Glastron/Carlson's out with us.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »
so I've been playing with the CVZ for the last few days here and there, just getting it ready for the season. it is so nice to be heading into a season where I am not scrambling to have a boat on the water. I usually have a major project boat over the winter and grossly underestimate the time needed to complete it!  ::)

anyway, just replacing the carb feed fuel lines (didn't do those last year) and the usual... gear oil (I always put fresh in at the end of the season, and fresh again in the spring... I know, it's overkill), new fuel separator/filter, plugs, etc., and a good check over of lines, wires, cables, and so on. I have the carbs off now to replace the lines, should be back together this week along with all the other details. this coming weekend is not looking great temperature wise, but boating season starts here in two weeks (marina opens) and I will be itching to put it in. usually winter seems so short because I am trying to finish something up. this year, I have been counting the days to get in the water. if it treats me as well as it did last year, then I will be loving it! I only got this one done about half way through the season last year, so this will be my first full year with it, if I have any luck! I know Shrom wants to try his CVX-18 with the new thru-hull exhaust, so maybe we can use the buddy system, and go out together, which is pretty much the way we ended last year. I have a feeling that time restrictions will keep me from finishing the Scimitar for Red Wing, but I think this baby will do me proud. looking forward to good weather, good times, and an adventure to MN!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2011, 11:18:35 PM »
Hey Steve, now that you got that one ready, you can hump up on the Scimitar and get that baby ready for Red Wing,  you can do it ya know,  I done mine in 34 days, everything except refinishing the top side.

You mentioned going full roller on that 454,  that cost a lot, more friction, more oil temp, and you won't be turning the rpm that make it benificial, just my opinion of course, but I like clevite 77, cost $80 for a set rods & mains, I'll stick with the roller lifters and rockers, cause they don't get the work-out the rod journals do,  leave that for the out-boards, don't want to make that BBC mad at ya.
                                                   ;)

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 08:51:02 PM »

I know Shrom wants to try his CVX-18 with the new thru-hull exhaust, so maybe we can use the buddy system, and go out together, which is pretty much the way we ended last year. I

You bet! It would probably be a good idea to do the buddy system first time out. As long as both of ours don't fail at once ???
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 09:45:51 PM »

I know Shrom wants to try his CVX-18 with the new thru-hull exhaust, so maybe we can use the buddy system, and go out together, which is pretty much the way we ended last year. I

You bet! It would probably be a good idea to do the buddy system first time out. As long as both of ours don't fail at once ???

:D ahh, no worries... that's why I pay the marina fees, it's like insurance... no matter what kind of "stupid boater tricks" I pull, they'll come drag me home! haven't had to use them yet, but it's a new season, who knows. and those boys love that kind of stuff, it breaks up their day of droppin boats in and pullin 'em out. and if we tie 'em together, guess they'll just have to drag us both back!  ;D besides, I've got a few good friends on the river, we're never alone out there.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »
Hey, did you get it out on the river yet? lol I haven't looked is the water level low? I got my new impeller kit. I'm hoping to get it on this weekend.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
I have not been out yet, hoping to fire it up tomorrow or Saturday to make sure it's ready to go. I was down at the camper on Sunday, and the water was over the banks, and we've had more rain since then, so I'm guessing it's still really high. Lots of logs and other junk floating down. I'm hoping to get out next week if the water is better.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
Finally fired it up today. I had decided to clean the carbs, so that slowed me down a little, but with all the rain we've had here, there was no rush, because the river is just now getting down to a safely boatable level, and all the floating junk is clearing out.

Ran great, fired right up. Hopefully it will run as good as it did last year. Hoping to get out on the water this weekend, we'll see if the weather is good enough. Can't wait to be on the water, it's been a LONG winter!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »
Good deal!  Its getting to be time around here as well.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Got some awesome weather here, so we're at the camper this weekend and took the boat out for the first time this year. Runnin great, and it feels good to be on the water again.

Got a chance to use the tube that Hyperacme shipped me. Kids loved it, and they talked their mom into a ride. I think she had more fun than them!
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 04:20:09 PM »
Good to hear your having fun and the tube works !
Weather here aint so good ...
Need boatin' pictures ... Please ... LOL

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
sorry Hyperacme, no pics...  :'(

just very happy to have had a good weekend of boating. we have had alot of rain here, and north of here, so this was really the first weekend that it even made sense to put a boat in the water. the water is still a little high, and still a fair amount of debris floating, so you have to find areas of minimal debris to get a chance to open it up at all. and, the hydro electric plant at the end of the "lake" (really a dammed up section of the Susquehanna River) had the flood gates open, so there was a very strong current (fortunately I didn't see anything get damaged, but a strong current always provides a good episode of "stupid boater tricks" at the marina!).

anyway, we pulled the tube, and cruised, and idled around, and it ran well, so I'm happy! I've got a few detail things I'd like to get to this week on it, but otherwise very happy with it. I did get a chance to open it up once, and trim it out. I got up to my max RPM quick, which tells me two things... one, it is running well. and two, I still need to play with higher pitch props.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19