Author Topic: Ignition Parts for Older Outboards  (Read 1728 times)

Offline badgercarlson

Ignition Parts for Older Outboards
« on: August 03, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »
Wanted to replace the distributor cap and rotor on my 1977 Merc 1150.  Mercury no longer sells these parts.  Found an aftermarket supplier.  CDI Electronics makes ignition parts for older Merc, OMC and Chrysler.  They don't sell directly to public.  Got the parts from magemarine.com.

Offline MarkS

Re: Ignition Parts for Older Outboards
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:32:50 PM »
Glad you found the parts, BC, but I've had bad experience with Magemarine (crazy high shipping charges.)  I called and changed to USPS which actually cost them less than $7.95, they told me they would charge me $15.95.  I said okay, wanted the good deal they offered, but got the cc bill and they raped me for $26.95 (their UPS Ground rate, which is also double the actual cost.)  Sorry, just venting.   ???
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline badgercarlson

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
I hear ya.  Their shipping charges are really high.  Maybe next time I'll shop elsewhere if I need any ignition parts for my 1150.  I'm just glad that CDI is making the parts (made in USA) now that Mercury stopped selling them.  Other online retailers are selling CDI ignition parts, so it's probably best to shop around.  Another place I considered ordering from wanted less $ for shipping but more $ for the parts.  Internet shopping can get crazy.

Offline MarkS

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:25:26 PM »
Good point, you gotta compare the "bottom line", it just kinda irked me I guess.  The important thing is you got what you needed, so it's all good now anyway.   ;)
Mark
1978 SSV-176