Author Topic: New Glastron Cave, in need of help  (Read 37458 times)

Offline Rosscoe

Re: New Glastron Cave, in need of help
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »
I contacted Karavan this week and they have a close replacement. Its a little wider but its a 4 lugger so at least I wouldnt have to replace the tires and wheels too. 300.00 plus shipping from Fox Lake Wi.
Yes its a torque tube axle. Rubber cords act as the suspension

Back to the building, it was originally scheduled for delivery Nov 21st which they moved to the 27th. The day before thanksgiving. I was initially led to believe that no one would be at the Sculpture park that day to run the 30 ton fork lift, and my contractor, Jim would be gone hunting the entire week after thanksgiving. Eventually, John Hock at the Sculpture park got back to me saying that date would work. Thought we were all set, then Thursday, my contractor texted me that he fell off a ladder and tore his shoulder, with surgery scheduled for Friday. He said he would be out of commission a minimum of 2 weeks and after that could supervise but not do anything for probably 6 weeks. He suggested I get the delivery date moved out a couple of weeks. I had to beg to get the date moved out and was given Dec 12th as the new date. Took a day and 1/2 for John to get back to me and tell me that wont work. @%#!
He would be gone that entire week and suggested we stay with the original date. I had assumed he wouldn't want to be unloading it without my contractor there because I promised it would be unloaded and moved within one day. He suggested we just get it unloaded and either stick in in his corn field or on my property that adjoins the park. Now it was back to begging the building Manf to change the ship date again. They were not happy and as of late yesterday the 27th has not been confirmed so I'll have to wait until Monday to find out when they can ship it. The 27th looks doubtful now as it is so close. I'll be talking with John again today and may go over and look at our options for setting the building down and get all available dates that work for him. Another potential issue was that the later and colder it gets, the fork might not start. I am still not sure if he will allow us to use the fork to stand up the structure so how we do this is up in the air. The main reason I hired someone to do this was so I didn't have to worry about all this crap. Well, that's not going so well. Meanwhile I am still working on my website and other business stuff. My shop remake is almost complete.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:49:56 AM by Rosscoe »
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
HOLY CRAP Ross !
When it rain's ... It pour's !

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2013, 08:00:16 AM »
Moved delivery date to Dec 5th now at the request of John. He is afraid the fork and (or) boom truck will not start as it gets colder. Had I know they would have unloaded it without my contractor being there, I would have left it at the 27th! Met with John on Sunday to scope out the park and pick a place to store the building until Contractor is able to move it.

Smashed my toe yesterday. What a *!#& year. Good thing I live with a nurse!
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
OUCH !
You didn't have your steel toe sneakers on ?

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2013, 08:33:15 AM »
Nope.
Dropped an end of a 2x8x12' from about waste high. Landed on its edge of course.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
" Landed on its edge of course. "

Of course !

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2013, 09:23:40 PM »
Building arrives tomorrow, just in time for the snowiest and coldest day of the year so far. Hope that old diesel fork lift starts tomorrow. They are concerned about that. Joni and her son will be joining me in case anything physical needs to be done. No contractor. I'd love to fire his arse but being I found no one else to do it, I am at his mercy right now.
Building will be set on the ground until I figure out whats next.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Jerry

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2013, 01:55:13 AM »
Wish I could help, but I'm almost worthless. Have a can of either handy. Some diesels have built-in either injectors, just a "sniff" though. Good luck.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »
Thanks Jerry and Terry for the tips on diesels. It was running when we got over there around 7:45 this morning only to get a call from the trucker that he was running a couple hours late. We went home for awhile and headed back when he called saying he was about 10 miles away. The unloading went pretty good other then it was as cold as a witches hoo haa. It now sits over there on pallets and 4x4's about 1000 feet from home. I have no idea if my contractor will be coming back to finish the job or not at this point. I am starting to look at other options and will likely start moving it over here from there in pieces I can handle.

First pic....what it should look like at some point, but smaller.
Other pics...what it looks like now.
Some damaged parts I have to report.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:56:03 PM by Rosscoe »
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »
Couple more.
The roofing panels were one of the longest things @ 20 feet and kinda sagged even with the forks at 4 feet spacing. They'll be fun to move.

6433 parts and 13,274  pounds
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
Ross I am glad to hear everything went well with the unloading. That's at least one thing off the list and out of the way. Looks like a heavy duty commercial building you got there, not your typical residental pole barn.  Should be real nice when it is all done. Hopefully your foot/toe is back to normal.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2013, 10:17:15 PM »
I've been out side most of the tonight ...
It is COLD !
If ya could have picked the worst night of the year, think it would be tonight !
Keep pluggin' away Ross ...

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2013, 11:10:30 AM »
HI, I haven't read the entire thread, yet

If I could answer and questions that you may have about this structure, I would be more than happy to do so.

As a  Commercial and Residential Building Inspector employed for 13 years, and before that I built $500,000 + homes, in the county that I now inspect for. I will help in any way I can just let me know

If this is a engineered structure, you will have to follow the plans exactly as they are, or you may void the warranty, also check with your local building department and ask if you need a permit for erecting 

I can help with questions from the foundation all the way through the finish C OF O ( Certificate Of Occupancy, assuming you have a permit to build this structure?) 

let me know if you have any questuons

ps I may have to delete this post, if you already got this figured out, have a great weekend!
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2013, 01:04:45 PM »

If I could answer and questions that you may have about this structure, I would be more than happy to do so.

As a  Commercial and Residential Building Inspector employed for 13 years, and before that I built $500,000 + homes, in the county that I now inspect for. I will help in any way I can just let me know

If this is a engineered structure, you will have to follow the plans exactly as they are, or you may void the warranty, also check with your local building department and ask if you need a permit for erecting 

I can help with questions from the foundation all the way through the finish C OF O ( Certificate Of Occupancy, assuming you have a permit to build this structure?) 

ps I may have to delete this post, if you already got this figured out, have a great weekend!

Yup I had to pull a permit and that requires 2 inspections. The footings are pretty hosed and I don't think my contractor is coming back. I am sure the Inspector will not like what he sees as far as the footings go. I had enough money set aside based on this contractors quote. If he doesn't finish it and/or we have to redo footings with this or another contractor, I may be back into my 401k and again suffer the 30% loss (taxes and penalties). Its been a nightmare. This level of work and his professionalism is just inexcusable.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2013, 02:30:07 PM »

Yup I had to pull a permit and that requires 2 inspections. The footings are pretty hosed and I don't think my contractor is coming back. I am sure the Inspector will not like what he sees as far as the footings go. I had enough money set aside based on this contractors quote. If he doesn't finish it and/or we have to redo footings with this or another contractor, I may be back into my 401k and again suffer the 30% loss (taxes and penalties). Its been a nightmare. This level of work and his professionalism is just inexcusable.
sorry to hear about your troubles, you took the correct step in getting a permit, just remember we inspectors ensure that whoever you hire to do a job, does it correctly, and meets minimum codes. The minimum codes are like getting a passing score of "D"  if that makes sense. when the contractor goes over and beyond the minimum, it is a benefit for the homeowners.

Now I have a question: the 2 inspections you are required to have, are they Pier Footings , and Framing?

The pier footings ( individual piers for each support)  or footing ( continuous around the perineter) would be inspected prior to concrete placement. We have to probe the soil for bearing to ensure that the grade is not soft, you don't want to put a continuous load path on a soft grade, you will have structural problems.

The Framing inspection will be for all the structural framing which includes steel. The inspector should ask for the engineered framing plans, and inspect everything that is on the plans, to ensure that you get what exactly what your paying for, and to ensure that it all is constructed per the plans.

one more thing, in your engineered plans, do you have structural bolts connecting all the members together? if so you should have a spec on the torque required for each bolt. The bolts maybe have a built in torque stop, just double check these, you don't want them under torqued!
We require a special inspection report on these bolts, not sure if you were required to have that inspection

let me know if I can help

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
That footing is pitiful.  No way that would pass inspection in my town. Do you have a contract with your contractor or just a hand shake? If it doesn't pass inspection then he is responsible for making it meet code at his expense. Please tell us you have not paid him yet.

When I built my house, nobody got paid until inspections were passed. I had a few angry workers but I told them you get paid when it passes inspection. I don't want to have to track anyone down once they've been paid.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »

As a  Commercial and Residential Building Inspector employed for 13 years, and before that I built $500,000 + homes, in the county that I now inspect for. I will help in any way I can just let me know

sorry to hear about your troubles, you took the correct step in getting a permit, just remember we inspectors ensure that whoever you hire to do a job, does it correctly, and meets minimum codes. The minimum codes are like getting a passing score of "D"  if that makes sense. when the contractor goes over and beyond the minimum, it is a benefit for the homeowners.

Now I have a question: the 2 inspections you are required to have, are they Pier Footings , and Framing?

The pier footings ( individual piers for each support)  or footing ( continuous around the perineter) would be inspected prior to concrete placement. We have to probe the soil for bearing to ensure that the grade is not soft, you don't want to put a continuous load path on a soft grade, you will have structural problems.

The Framing inspection will be for all the structural framing which includes steel. The inspector should ask for the engineered framing plans, and inspect everything that is on the plans, to ensure that you get what exactly what your paying for, and to ensure that it all is constructed per the plans.

one more thing, in your engineered plans, do you have structural bolts connecting all the members together? if so you should have a spec on the torque required for each bolt. The bolts maybe have a built in torque stop, just double check these, you don't want them under torqued!
We require a special inspection report on these bolts, not sure if you were required to have that inspection

They are Pier footings and go down at least 48". The initial inspection was of the bored hole prior to concrete pouring. My permit states 3 inspections with the 2nd one being once the steel framing is in place. I asked the inspector when he was here about it and he said he didn't need to come back until it was completely done.
I agree the footing is pathetic. At least of there was going to be a poured slab, they'd have some additional support but I dont have the funds for a slab.
I do have a contract but is says "quote" at the top but we both signed it. He wanted to get paid as he went along in steps. X amount to get on his calender, X amount after the footings were poured and that's where we're at. So at this point he's got 2k from me. I mentioned at the beginning not being totally comfortable about this method because I had some idiot contractor bail on me before. He said "I'm not like that" Well, would else would he say?
This guy is not licensed in Minnesota and is from neighboring Wis. Trying to sue him would cost me more then 2k. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I have been hoping he would realize that he works for me, I hired him to do a job and maybe he would apologize for ripping me a new one last week and finish the job. Maybe I should bring the inspector back and have that as ammo.
He knew the building was showing up on the 5th and was MIA. I understand that he had shoulder surgery but he had me move the date out so he could have a crew there. Didn't happen.
I have started a list of his "promises" and short comings and text contents from start to finish. This idiot cost me my trailer axle besides numerous other headaches. Its a dang good thing I made my own arrangements to get it unloaded. Left to him, it wouldn't have happened. Whats wrong with some people. Have they no conscience?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:25:56 PM by dorelse »
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2013, 07:57:32 PM »

As a  Commercial and Residential Building Inspector employed for 13 years, and before that I built $500,000 + homes, in the county that I now inspect for. I will help in any way I can just let me know

sorry to hear about your troubles, you took the correct step in getting a permit, just remember we inspectors ensure that whoever you hire to do a job, does it correctly, and meets minimum codes. The minimum codes are like getting a passing score of "D"  if that makes sense. when the contractor goes over and beyond the minimum, it is a benefit for the homeowners.

The pier footings ( individual piers for each support)  or footing ( continuous around the perineter) would be inspected prior to concrete placement. We have to probe the soil for bearing to ensure that the grade is not soft, you don't want to put a continuous load path on a soft grade, you will have structural problems.

They are Pier footings and go down at least 48". The initial inspection was of the bored hole prior to concrete pouring. My permit states 3 inspections with the 2nd one being once the steel framing is in place. I asked the inspector when he was here about it and he said he didn't need to come back until it was completely done.
I agree the footing is pathetic. At least of there was going to be a poured slab, they'd have some additional support but I dont have the funds for a slab.
I do have a contract but is says "quote" at the top but we both signed it. He wanted to get paid as he went along in steps. X amount to get on his calender, X amount after the footings were poured and that's where we're at. So at this point he's got 2k from me. I mentioned at the beginning not being totally comfortable about this method because I had some idiot contractor bail on me before. He said "I'm not like that" Well, would else would he say?
This guy is not licensed in Minnesota and is from neighboring Wis. Trying to sue him would cost me more then 2k. Not sure what I am going to do yet. I have been hoping he would realize that he works for me, I hired him to do a job and maybe he would apologize for ripping me a new one last week and finish the job. Maybe I should bring the inspector back and have that as ammo.
He knew the building was showing up on the 5th and was MIA. I understand that he had shoulder surgery but he had me move the date out so he could have a crew there. Didn't happen.
I have started a list of his "promises" and short comings and text contents from start to finish. This idiot cost me my trailer axle besides numerous other headaches. Its a dang good thing I made my own arrangements to get it unloaded. Left to him, it wouldn't have happened. Whats wrong with some people. Have they no conscience?

IMO, you need to find a licensed contractor for starters, ask for references, go see a few completed jobs that they have done, in your area.

Then go to the building department and speak with them, ask "if this contractor it legit, and have they had any customer complaints to the building department on this contractor" this may help you a tremendous amount

if I get out of line here please let me know, my job is to look out for the homeowner the #1 customer  

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:29:12 PM by dorelse »

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:39 AM »
No you are not out of line in any way. I appreciate the advice.
He supposedly is licensed, just not in my State which is why I pulled the permit and he offered references during our first meeting but declined. He seemed knowledgeable when we discussed how this thing had to go together and was looking forward to doing it and thought it would be fun. What happened, I don't know. I think we he saw the hosed up footings when the anchor bolts went in, he decided to bail. I haven't talked to him since Nov 30. I don't think its asking too much to inquire as to how he is coming along but I now believe its BS and he never got hurt. Just an excuse to drag things out. I think he is now just trying to making me angry and fire him as his way out, which may happen today.
Ross
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2013, 06:26:13 AM »
Good. Arm yourself with all the correspondence you have and I would have the inspector pay a visit and document his findings to present to the contractor. If that fails then see if you can sue even if he is not licscensed in your state. You sue for repairs and legal/court costs so you get all your money back.

Most important thing now is to get a signed and documented report from the inspector stating that the footing (s) are not to code and are not sufficient for supporting the structure.

Then you talk to an attorney. A good attorney will go after repair cost, legal fees, court cost and any additional funds you had to spend to correct this issue. Hit the contractor with a $10k lawsuit and if you have all needed documentation and a solid case he will probably settle by actually correcting the issue at his expense to avoid the suit.

It's a shame one has to turn to this option but there are so many dishonest and piss poor contractors out there that the customer is forced to take action. As soon as he saw where those bolts were going to land in that footing he should have never poored a drop of concrete in that tube.