Author Topic: My New Project Boat, Not A Glastron, But My Wife Loves It...  (Read 84191 times)

Offline buckz6319

Re: My New Project Boat, Not A Glastron, But My Wife Loves It...
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »
pulling the engine today:)

Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »
got the engine out! It was a chore by myself, as always. I will start my investigation tomorrow on a possible internal cracked block
here are some pics

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:32:42 PM by buckz6319 »

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2014, 01:59:17 PM »
That must have been a tight squeeze getting that out with the back seat still in the boat.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
Nice you were able to use a cherry picker to get it put. Keep us updated!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
more pics, I'm calling it a day!...and yes, it was a tight squeeze getting that engine out, but once I got it turned sideways, it was no problem
I have found that blowed out plug, still keeping my fingers crossed that the block is not cracked internally. I will keep moving forward...wonder if I can pop that plug back it, so I can do that pressure test on the cooling system

Offline Rich_V174SS

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »
That was kinda risky using the oil pressure sender as a hoist point, I wouldn't have trusted that but I guess it worked. Also looks like one of your starter bolts is hanging out of the block. For the freeze plug I would get a new one and tap it in with some pipe sealant. Looks like they use brass plugs for marine environment.

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »
That was kinda risky using the oil pressure sender as a hoist point, I wouldn't have trusted that but I guess it worked. Also looks like one of your starter bolts is hanging out of the block. For the freeze plug I would get a new one and tap it in with some pipe sealant. Looks like they use brass plugs for marine environment.
good eye, that chain is just hanging there, not attached to that oil pressure sending bolt ;) I know better than that lol

Offline Rich_V174SS

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2014, 04:31:43 PM »
good eye, that chain is just hanging there, not attached to that oil pressure sending bolt ;) I know better than that lol

Got it!  ;D

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »
Nice buck looks good

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2014, 12:02:40 AM »
   I'm envious that its nice enough to work outdoors where your at.  Looks like your project is progressing nicely.  Looks like you have the skills and equipment to get the job done.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »
   I'm envious that its nice enough to work outdoors where your at.  Looks like your project is progressing nicely.  Looks like you have the skills and equipment to get the job done.

It was beautiful in Omaha today!!!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2014, 07:35:28 AM »

it was sunny outside yesterday, but cold. I can say that I enjoyed every minute of working on this project
My skill level always improves with great, correct, advice for folks that are willing to give it. I have been wrenching for a long time, but, "if your not willing to learn from someone else who has BTDT, then all you know how to do is hold a wrench...."
I do have a lot of equipment, and tools, to get most jobs completed that  do for customers, however the tools that are needed for working on this engine, are outrageous in price. I will be asking a lot of questions about these so called " Special tools" 

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2014, 07:48:09 AM »
just as some expected, rear core plug aka " Frost, Freeze Plug" was pushed out the rear of the engine block, looks like it is in good shape. I may re install temporarily just so I pressure test the block cooling passages
opinions appreciated

Offline Jerry

« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
They make an expandable frost plug you put in and tighten.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »
update!

I did some more troubleshooting today...

The core plug looked really good ( will purchase a new one), but I cleaned the edge of the brass core plug aka "freeze plug" with my buffer, and cleaned up the rust that was around inside rim of the core hole in the block.

I then re-installed the core plug back into the core hole in the block,( *****just temporary, so I can air pressure test the block*****) using some gasket sealer on the edge of the freeze plug.

I then setup to air pressure test the cooling passages in the block...with oil pan drain plug removed

I hooked up my hoses, clamps, pressure gauge, ect, induced 20psi into the cooling system. I immediately saw the pressure gauge start to drop by lb , "Oh crap!!! maybe I had an internal cracked block", I really said a few choice words, other than " Oh Crap" .

I then got my bottle of soapy water, re- pressurized the system again to 20psi, and started spraying all my hose connections that had clamps. as the pressure was dropping I located some major leaks around the hoses, so I tightened up the clamps some more.

I got all the clamps tightened, sprayed soapy water on them again, no more bubbles

I induced 20psi again into the cooling system......it held pressure for 2+hours, maybe even longer. I did not unhook the air until I got up all my stuff that I had strolled all over the place today. The last thing I put up was that air hose probably about 35 more minutes later

so IMO I feel like my block does not have a crack...that is IMO on the block only

my next test will be a cylinder leak down compression test

I would appreciate opinions good or bad, they all help

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
That bearing definitely needs replacing. Looks like more than just water in those bellows, like gear oil too. Your upper yoke seal looks like it may be leaking. I've replaced a lot of those but sometimes you have to replace the short yoke between the 1st U-joint cross and pinion drive gear. The reason being is a slight groove gets worn in the face of the yoke where the seal rides on it, and once a groove is formed it will continue to leak even with a new seal in the carrier assembly.
just thinking about the water in the u-joint bellows
after examining all that I could see of the bellows, they have no dry rot, no holes, clamps are tight but not over tightened., in the correct position per the FSM. I feel like the water I found in the bellows, may have come from inside the boat, is this possible? I was thinking maybe, because of that leaking rear freeze plug, and possible leaking intake manifold
here are the pics again
I can also say that the nuts on the alpha one gen 2 were not even torqued, just finger tight, and the gasket was on the back of the drive, not on the gimble housing, hope this makes sense...any thoughts on this?

Offline Rich_V174SS

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »
For water to enter the bellows from in the boat half the engine would need to be underwater. It's not possible for water to transfer from the engine through the transom assembly, there's just too much if a space to traverse. Are you sure that's all water in the bellows? I still say that's gear oil from the drive. Test it by pouring some into a cup of water. If it floats on top it's oil, if it blends then it's water. Also, if it was water there would be more rust on the U-joints.

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Rich_V174SS

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2014, 08:56:51 PM »
the gasket was on the back of the drive, not on the gimble housing, hope this makes sense

Not really. I'm confused by this one.

Hmmmm......

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
You might have possible things going on. First you obviously had freeze damage because that frost plug popped. You are lucky there. Seems like GM frost plugs usually don't pop and the block cracked. Even though the plug popped it does not mean you don't have any cracks. Could it be that it holds pressure when cold but once the engine warms up the crack opens up. Somehow water got in the oil. If the blocks really not cracked and holds pressure then it has to be a head gasket. Did you pressure test the intake/exhaust manifold yet? If that tests ok, pull head, have flatness checked. Put in head gasket. Put back together and fire it up and see what happens. I wouldn't worry about the milky oil in the bellows just yet. Figure out the engine first.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2014, 11:14:02 AM »
You might have possible things going on. First you obviously had freeze damage because that frost plug popped. You are lucky there. Seems like GM frost plugs usually don't pop and the block cracked. Even though the plug popped it does not mean you don't have any cracks. Could it be that it holds pressure when cold but once the engine warms up the crack opens up. Somehow water got in the oil. If the blocks really not cracked and holds pressure then it has to be a head gasket. Did you pressure test the intake/exhaust manifold yet? If that tests ok, pull head, have flatness checked. Put in head gasket. Put back together and fire it up and see what happens. I wouldn't worry about the milky oil in the bellows just yet. Figure out the engine first.
I agree, i'm not out of the woods yet. I do understand that heat may open a internal engine block crack.
I have not tested the intake yet, that will be this week hopefully
Any suggestions on how to properly do that test?

If it test bad, i will replace it, if it test good, i will do a cylinder compression test, and go from there
Thanks