Author Topic: 1 Boat Rule Broken  (Read 58341 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: 1 Boat Rule Broken
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
Yep, all new round brass machine screws, new paper gasket, still dripping.  Why can't we use that auto gasket stuff to seal this up better? 

I can't get the impeller to draw water up...thinking the boat has to be in the lake.  I'll try a new gasket again and then put the boat in the lake and see if it pulls water.  (Getting a little frustrated at this point...)

http://youtu.be/uRjuK8KxK3w
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:15:10 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2015, 10:05:23 PM »
Do you have the hoses on the pump correctly? Inlet hose from the drive to the bottom fitting on the pump, top fitting to the engine. The bushing & seal could be the reason the pump is leaking. I replaced one in someone's boat just last week.
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2015, 10:17:42 PM »
Do you have the hoses on the pump correctly? Inlet hose from the drive to the bottom fitting on the pump, top fitting to the engine. The bushing & seal could be the reason the pump is leaking. I replaced one in someone's boat just last week.

Yep, intake hose to the bottom, 'throwing' the water up to the thermostat housing using the top hose.  Its leaking at the front cover, I can see it...

Idk, at this point, think its time to try it in the water fully and see if it changes.  (After sealing up the cover...)

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
Did you check the seal at the pick-up hose connector on the steering fork?
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2015, 10:56:03 PM »
Did you check the seal at the pick-up hose connector on the steering fork?

Here's the hose routing...and no, I forgot honestly...I'll check it..

http://youtu.be/g0SorCDVOB4
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2015, 10:59:23 PM »
Doran, have you checked to see if the mating surfaces are true? That leak makes me think they might me warped or you have a hairline crack in the cover or the housing cauing the engine to suck air and not water.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2015, 11:57:41 PM »
I would assume given the design of the pump, and its location, that the boat needs to be in water or a line hooked up to supply a ready supply to it.  It's not likely to be able to pull a prime from too far.  As for RTV, I really could not see why you could not use it.  No super Hi temp, no chemicals or oil.  I've used RTV on merc impellers more often than not.  Just don't get out of hand with it.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Maclin

« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:30 AM »
Is it in a tub or on the muffs in the video?  Seems that it has to be drawing water up thru the drive ok if it is leaking that much? There is a weep hole that leaks when the bearing seal is bad.  I just do not think it can leak that much out of the front plate.  Just sayin' that when I had just one screw missing on the plate it just welled up and dripped one small drip every couple of minutes, and once I got that fixed it was totally dry.

There is supposed to be a round rubber gasket on the front of the impeller that fits the inside of the impeller hub and covers the end of the driving shaft.  The plate does press against it when assembled, it is almost 1/8" thick.  I do not know if that causes a leak like that but I always made sure my impeller kit had that.  I dropped one once and had to make one. 
Dan
1980 Glaston SSV167 90HP Mariner
1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy VP 570/DP

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2015, 09:15:55 AM »
Is it in a tub or on the muffs in the video?  Seems that it has to be drawing water up thru the drive ok if it is leaking that much? There is a weep hole that leaks when the bearing seal is bad.  I just do not think it can leak that much out of the front plate.  Just sayin' that when I had just one screw missing on the plate it just welled up and dripped one small drip every couple of minutes, and once I got that fixed it was totally dry.

There is supposed to be a round rubber gasket on the front of the impeller that fits the inside of the impeller hub and covers the end of the driving shaft.  The plate does press against it when assembled, it is almost 1/8" thick.  I do not know if that causes a leak like that but I always made sure my impeller kit had that.  I dropped one once and had to make one.

The videos show the motor running with the garden hose plumbed directly into the inlet hose bypassing the outdrive altogether.  (Can't risk over heating the motor obviously.) 

There was nothing in the impeller kit as far as any round rubber gasket so all I've done is install the impeller, paper gasket and close it up.  This is the Sierra impeller btw, I haven't ordered the VP, so that could be an issue from the get-go.

When its in the tub, I'm filling the tub up with water, and then putting muffs & the hose over the intake grates, run the motor for maybe 30 secs, and shut it off.  If I pull the hose after the impeller housing, its dry, and no water is coming out of the exhaust or side discharge tubes either, so I know its not pulling water.

Clearly I'm missing parts that I'll bet are in the VP impeller kit.   Appreciate the help guys, I'm going to be parking this boat until after vacation up in N. MN, after the 4th.  Time to play.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »
I think we're talking about part #13 right?  No, I haven't seen that at all...it wasn't on the pump when I took the bad impeller off...so that could help explain things, then I also need to check out the area Rich suggested as well.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Sea-Water-Pump-826456/dm/cart_id.096591732--session_id.154510980--store_id.366--view_id.783522
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Maclin

« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
Yes,  #13  although that looks like an O-Ring in that drawing, but does the same thing, seals off the end of the driveshaft against the plate.

Drawing up thru the drive is iffy unless you can get the water really high.  When I use a tub (big tote like you have) i have to have the drive tilted a little to get it under it and then get it all the way up against the transom shield and under the tilt levers, then run the drive back down and keep moving the tub forward in steps..  I have the DuoProp though and the length of the props makes it a challenger to get the leg down into the tub.  I loosen the front cover on the pump and pour water in there and tighten it back up just to get some "lube" to the impeller as it does take a little bit of time, 30 seconds or so,  to draw the water up.  I always keep the hose running so as not to reheat and recirculate the "same" water.  I also use a rubber tie down across the width of the tub so it does not spread out too much, keeps the water level just a little higher.  It is kind of messy.  Afterwards I siphon the water back out of the tub so I can move it again.

It is probably worth a trip to the lake and try it there first if you can find a not too busy time at the ramps.  If it draws ok there then you know the pump and plumbing up to it is OK.  The water level will force water on into the hoses that hook to the pump and the pump will prime very quickly.  You can still have an air leak between the grates and the transom, like in the raw water nipple on the intermediate drive, or the hose that connects to it and goes thru the transom.  All of that is underwater when just floating or backed in on the trailer so the pump will draw then.  Up on plane, or in the tub, is a different scenario and is when plumbing problems after the grates and before the transom will show up.  I had to replace the nipple on mine as it had corroded away all under the hose, not readily seen from the outside.  I took it off when doing the bellows and saw the problem and replaced it and the hose that goes thru the transom.  By the way, on these VP drives you only need to remove the top section of the drive to get at the ujoints and drive bellows, no need to remove the entire drive just do it right on the boat. 

One good thing with the VP setup is that water will stay in the pump for the "next" time due to the hose routing, as they go up some the the pump.  So even an accidental bump of the key will not stress the impeller for a few seconds.  Of course that is one more winterization item, to remove the pump cover to drain.  For really cold climates Volvo wants you to take the impeller out and store in a bag of water at room temp.

I do realize some of these points are elementary and known by the ones reading, but I tend to get wordy so any future searchers with similar problems will find it and maybe get some help from it long after Doran has cruised into the sunset with his "cool" AQ260... :)
Dan
1980 Glaston SSV167 90HP Mariner
1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy VP 570/DP

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2015, 10:30:28 AM »
You'll notice of course that part #13 isn't available to purchase...so I'm going to buy the VP impeller in hopes that it comes with the kit.  The paper gasket  I have has been off and on a couple times and isn't in great shape, so the easiest thing to do is replace that first, then move on to the more expensive parts...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Tom

• 87 CV23, 66 Jetflight, 89 Supra, 05 Tahoe pontoon
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2015, 11:15:16 PM »
Back in the 70'S, I had a Volvo powered CV16.  They were still in production at the time. I talked to the Glastron Distributor and several dealers at the boat shows and they all said never run the engine with muffs or tub as you will ruin your impeller.  Hook up the garden hose to the in hose from the lower unit and you will never have a problem.  The other weird Volvo thing was the oil cooler.  Water went through the cooler and sometimes filled the water tubes with weeds.  You would have to take it apart and remove them as the engine would run very warm.  Later they installed a filter to prevent this, happened to me all the time.  Don't know if the V8 had an oil cooler or not, but all you have to do is trace the cooler hoses and the oil lines and you will find out.  Hope this helps!
Every day is a great day at the lake!

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: July 04, 2015, 10:40:44 PM »
Had a successful week up North!  I have to get this carb working right before TI...still have it gasping for fuel when I punch it, but I can feather it easily up to full throttle.  Sending it Mike's way this week.

Anyway, after returning home, and cleaning up Goldie, pulled it next to the Barge for a size comparison.

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »
not much of a difference...but by girth the b-liner wins!
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
Is that a Durango you got now?
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2015, 03:43:44 PM »
Is that a Durango you got now?
It is, well, it's my wife's, I'm still driving an Avalanche.

We love it.  Pentastar V6, tows better than my truck, and gets 20 mpg while doing it, 4 captains chairs,  etc.  Haven't tried towing the barge yet, but I have no doubt it could do it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
not much of a difference...but by girth the b-liner wins!
Oh, don't trust the camera angle,  it's about 4-6 feet of bow longer than the 18...and about 1300 lbs!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2015, 10:47:01 PM »
Put Marge the Barge in the lake tonight.  Its definitely pumping water in the lake...but when I shut it down, after a minute or 2 running on the trailer, I pulled the smaller hoses leading down to the exhaust manifolds (from the thermostat) and they didn't have water in them...would they drain by themselves? 

I'm going to pull and replace the thermostat tomorrow just to make sure its good.

Still don't trust that its cooling properly.... 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
Ok, made the trip down to the lake.  I do not like towing such a heavy boat, I can say that for sure.  Got her launched and spent a few minutes working out some kinks.  I unhooked the impeller hose at the thermostat housing and started the boat to see water spraying out...so I knew we were all good!

I do have a leak in the bottom bellows as I discovered water dripping out of it afterwards...so that's my suction leak.  Easy fix, which is a good thing!

Here's a couple videos...I will say this, it is such a big boat, that I feel really disconnected from the water...windows all around, sitting up very high, the thing is more cruiser than 'sport'...just more motivation to find a G/C to have for that.

I don't think this boat will be mine long.  There's big, and then there's too big...and I think this might fall into that category...but we'll see.

There is a CVZ-18 project boat available, I need to see if that hull is in better shape.

http://youtu.be/TLpPW9GMrkc

http://youtu.be/ui9-VMtdzxg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:25:08 PM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700