Author Topic: Another project CV-21...happy but disappointed  (Read 5473 times)

Offline chuckie

Another project CV-21...happy but disappointed
« on: August 05, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
I recently picked up a CV-19 which needs a full restore (in a recent thread). While looking for parts I found a CV-21 for sale about 450 miles away. I set it all up and it was delivered this afternoon. Was kind of disappointed when it got here but still excited that I finally have a CV-21. Boat has been repainted and there are runs all over. Interior isn’t in to bad if shape but it is weathered and some of the seems are coming apart. She didn’t come with an engine which was part of the deal. Which didn’t really matter because the CV-19 came with a good engine. The big disappointment is that the boat hit something on the right side of the bow and cracked through the hull and cracked part of the upper hull and tore up the tub rail. All is fixable but there is no way I can try so do major work on two boats. The CV-19 might have to go. The 21 is at the point where I might as well just restore it and fix the whole gel coat when I fix the crack. The stringers and deck were done back around 2009 so I think that’s ok.

Offline chuckie

Re: Another project CV-21...happy but disappointed
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 10:05:18 PM »
More of the bow

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »
It's served a life of dock busting it appears, I've noticed this effect on jets a bit more than stern drives.  The 21 is, imho, a more desirable craft, but I don't want to take anything away from the 19.   I'd love to find one, but they are pretty hard to come by.   May I suggest a full on "Billy Bob" build?  Good luck on your project, post lots of pictures.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline chuckie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:29:18 PM »
Well I’ve had two previous CV-19s so I wasn’t disappointed to start another. I was really excited about having both but we will see. If I’m going to sink all my money and time into it, it might as well be into the 21.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
CV19's are cool .. CV21's are cooler !
Gold CV21's are AWESOME !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »
Its worth saving...it looks really good in purple too!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline chuckie

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 10:22:35 AM »
The color is a nice color but since there are so many runs in the paint and I have to do the repair work to the bow I think it’s time to strip it and do something like GIL did to his. That is an awesome color.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 11:38:23 AM »
GIL's is a beautiful craft.   Someone built a Billy Bob a few years back, don't know what happened to it.  Here a pic of a detailed model someone else built, I know it's a model, but it's the best image I could find quickly.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 12:04:59 PM »
GIL's is a beautiful craft.   Someone built a Billy Bob a few years back, don't know what happened to it.  Here a pic of a detailed model someone else built, I know it's a model, but it's the best image I could find quickly.

That was built and sent to the Middle East to the same wealthy guy who had the CV-23HT replica built.  Talked to him a little bit about it.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »
I like gold lol

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 02:20:30 PM »
I said i wasnt going to post anymore pics of the beast until it was in the water , ha well heres another pic of a dry boat .
My daughter is getting married this coming saturday and for the past month or so every spare moment has been taken up with that . I didnt have the cojones to suggest i leave and go play boat for the last month or so , so just a week and a half  from now it will be wet . Gil

Offline chuckie

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 02:21:44 PM »
GIL_CV21...I had been following your post on Classic GLASTRON Forum for years. All the pics on about the first 40 pages are not there anymore which sucks because it was nice following you thorough the beginning. I have seen your posts on here and a couple others like Screamandfly but nothing when you first started your restoration. Anywhere I can find that? Whenever I envision what I want mine to look like I envision your boat. I can’t tell you how many times I have watch your engine video on YouTube.

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »
I lost all the posted pics when photobucket pulled their crap a few years back , i still have all of them on my pc hd . I wouldnt know where to begin reposting all of them . If anyone needs a pic of a certain portion of my ten year project . i'll be happy to post what i got .

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 03:33:42 PM »
It's to nice to get wet and dirty Gil !
LOL ..

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 03:47:17 PM »
As in, you're coming to the meet?  or the wedding will be over?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »
I lost all the posted pics when photobucket pulled their crap a few years back , i still have all of them on my pc hd . I wouldnt know where to begin reposting all of them . If anyone needs a pic of a certain portion of my ten year project . i'll be happy to post what i got .

Photobucket is back...any photo will have a watermark on it...but you can at least post them.  Google Photos is still free at least.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline chuckie

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 05:35:09 PM »
I feel a little bit better today after taking a walk around the boat again and trying to get a good assessment. The damage on the bow shouldn’t be to hard to fix with the exception glass is going to have to be laid on the inside of the crack which means getting up inside the bow. I found posts online where the boat was for sail about 10 years ago and it stated that the stringers in the engine bay only had been replaced and reglassed in and then bilge coated. OMG is that bilge coat tough. The ad also said the plywood deck in the passenger area was replaced. You can see where it was grafted in as it sticks up ever so slightly.

The paint looks great from 20’ away. Once you get up on it you can see all the runs. I can take my fingernail on an edge and start peeling the paint off in pieces. There are of coarse stress cracks around the engine bay corners on the main hull and stress cracks on the engine cover corners where it sinks down for the pad. All the glass needs to be replaced which I know I can get from UDP.i can’t be too upset....after all I now own a CV-21 and all the parts and pieces are there!!! The dash and glove box are in great shape although the speedo and tach are the only original gauges. The throttle mechanism looks like new. It’s got a great trailer under it. The only problem is I don’t think I have the time....or money..... to work on the CV-19 and 21 at the same time. I would love to have both of them completely restored......

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »
I feel a little bit better today after taking a walk around the boat again and trying to get a good assessment. The damage on the bow shouldn’t be to hard to fix with the exception glass is going to have to be laid on the inside of the crack which means getting up inside the bow. I found posts online where the boat was for sail about 10 years ago and it stated that the stringers in the engine bay only had been replaced and reglassed in and then bilge coated. OMG is that bilge coat tough. The ad also said the plywood deck in the passenger area was replaced. You can see where it was grafted in as it sticks up ever so slightly.

The paint looks great from 20’ away. Once you get up on it you can see all the runs. I can take my fingernail on an edge and start peeling the paint off in pieces. There are of coarse stress cracks around the engine bay corners on the main hull and stress cracks on the engine cover corners where it sinks down for the pad. All the glass needs to be replaced which I know I can get from UDP.i can’t be too upset....after all I now own a CV-21 and all the parts and pieces are there!!! The dash and glove box are in great shape although the speedo and tach are the only original gauges. The throttle mechanism looks like new. It’s got a great trailer under it. The only problem is I don’t think I have the time....or money..... to work on the CV-19 and 21 at the same time. I would love to have both of them completely restored......
It only took ten years to redo mine lol

Offline chuckie

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 03:29:17 PM »
After taking some time to go over everything, except for the cracks on the bow I think the rest of the boat is pretty solid. There are stress cracks around the engine bay corners and the corners of the engine cover in the corners where the pad goes. Should be easy to fix once I get all the paint off. The paint will almost just peel off. The couple spots where I did peel the paint off it’s as smooth as can be, like there was nothing for the paint to grip onto. Going to start taking her apart soon. The rear seat structure needs to be redone completely. The arm rest is there but it falling apart. I’m going to get rid of those two big foam boxes in the engine bay and get that all cleaned up, then the cracks in the bow.

Offline chuckie

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 10:24:29 PM »
Does anyone have pics of what the engine bay should look like on a CV-21? I know that the engine bay stringers were replaced a number of years ago but I think something is missing. Once I rip out the side foam boxes I think I will run plywood from the stringers out toward the outer part of the boat and glass in. Seems like the battery would have somewhere to sit flat instead of the cheesy battery tray that is in it.