Author Topic: GUESS I'LL KEEP IT.  (Read 13893 times)

Offline bellj

Re: GUESS I'LL KEEP IT.
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
You should have said something and/or moved closer to our unit - I snore so loud that none of my family heard a thing!!   LOL   ;)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline Jerry

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »
I never heard a thing. Get some ear plugs.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »
Barb, I have to say ... I didn't hear much either.  ;-)

The trains wore out the two ladies in our tent.  We'll do it again, though - the hotel will be a game time decision for us.

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
I had ear plugs and they bothered me as bad as the train.  Back to the CV23.....  I would still really like to take it to the Apostle Islands the next time I make it up that way.  Anyone up for extending the meet weekend and traveling up there for a few days afterwards?  Maybe we can have a Glastron caravan up that way.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
I had ear plugs and they bothered me as bad as the train.  Back to the CV23.....  I would still really like to take it to the Apostle Islands the next time I make it up that way.  Anyone up for extending the meet weekend and traveling up there for a few days afterwards?  Maybe we can have a Glastron caravan up that way.

I REALLY like that idea!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
you mean there were trains running at night?  I thought they just ran during the day

Terry

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
I had ear plugs and they bothered me as bad as the train.  Back to the CV23.....  I would still really like to take it to the Apostle Islands the next time I make it up that way.  Anyone up for extending the meet weekend and traveling up there for a few days afterwards?  Maybe we can have a Glastron caravan up that way.

I REALLY like that idea!
[/quote

I'm serious Jason.  Next time I pull a boat 800 miles that direction I dont want to come home without having experienced the Apostles.  Last year we went to Bayfield, caught the ferry to Madeline Island and spent the night in one of the hotels in Bayfield right across the street from the ferry dock.  It was awesome.
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline iowa cv-23

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
I've said that with this one I just really want it to be comfortable and realiable, and as of now it is both.  Instead of engine upgrades I want to spend my dollars on a second battery and high output alternator, some additional cabin lighting, and maybe a 13 inch monitor for movies and games, a towing cover, a new set of brakes and master cylinder for the trailer, and save enough money to bring her to Red Wing and stay in a hotel in 2014.

if you go w/ two batteries Alex had a great idea in his CV-23 "Hot Carl" - he mounted the second battery in the portside storage area (instead of both on the same side) -  - that way the boat doesn't list 15 degrees to the starboard side w/ two heavy batteries + 1 heavy driver :-/...

Offline V153

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 03:46:15 PM »
I travel so light these days a CV23 would be a live-aboard ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
I agree with putting the second battery on the other side of the boat to balance it.  I'll put the battery switch, master fuse block, and inverter and built in charger on the side with the existing battery to make the electonics entry into the cuddy easier by being able to go through behind the dash.  There is a large panel there that would hold the removeable monitor and I will be able to flush mount the power outlet for it, and 12 volt appliances.  I would like to set her up to be able to plug into power in over night slips also and charge if needed. I'm also wanting to build in a cooler beside the spare battery and have it drain into the bilge. I'm not really wanting to camp out overnight on her, but would like to have that option available.  I'm also thinking of putting some of that rope with little balls on it around the head liner in the cuddy.  LOL
Hopefully it will still be able to get the bow down and plane out.  I'm spoiled on that because Burnin Daylight doesn't plane out, she just rises up in the water and jets off.  That has been hard for me to get used to with Hot Knots, I feel like she's gonna fall over backwards before the bow goes down.i watched the other CV23s in Red Wing and it doesn't take any longer for her to plane out than they did.
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline bellj

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
Since you're talking about batteries and inverters (something near and dear to my heart since my first Heart Interface 1200 & 2500 watt inverters in the '80's), just for your consideration, when I installed the engine mounted trolling motor on our CVX-20, I wanted to put it on a separate battery just for ease of mind. The previous owner had put in a second battery for the stereo, but didn't provide any way for it to charge without just hooking on a car charger.

I considered diode type isolators like I used to use on the campers, but I wanted to keep things simpler for an outboard boat since they don't have a separate alternator in my case. I had purchased just a simple on-off battery switch and was just going to connect the two manually while the engine is running as well as mounting a mini-charger that I could simply plug in while at home.

Before I managed to get the switch installed (like that very day), I went for parts and happen to notice in the battery section of Fleet Farm, but in the solar regulator portion where I hadn't paid any attention to while searching for the switch, this little box for connecting two batteries like in a typical boat situation (not a cross 12v-24v trolling motor battery bank situation - that's a whole different animal). It's simply connected between the batteries just like I planned with the switch, but it will only charge after the first battery (starting and main battery in my case) comes up to enough voltage. It's just a mini version of the "smart" type of relays (actually old technology with newer monitor controlling) that they are using in the newer motorhomes. Also has a push button to connect the two batteries together in case you needed some quick starting boost (in theory).

Anyway, it's been working great, has been charging the second or aux battery while running the engine and/or plug-in battery maintainer. Was only around $65, and doesn't have the hassles of the voltage drop and extra hookup of a diode type isolator. So just mentioning in case it would fit your situation.

The only caution I would add is that I think it's 100 amps or less, which was perfect for my situation, but if you are charging from a high output engine alternator a battery bank for a 1200 to 3500 watt inverter or larger - then it's definitely not enough capacity to consider.

Side note: I know you guys know what you're doing, so I'm not trying to lecture in any way, and I know the cabin cruisers and houseboats are equipped with modern conveniences all the time with strict wiring standards, but on a personal level even though I love the technology - inverters and even regular dock hookups scare the "bajeebers" out of me from the standpoint that I grew up on a farm where we had three-phase high voltage power that had a tendency to manage to find (sneak) it's way around almost any water-proofing standards during wet conditions eventually. I know it's not quite the same, and not trying to scare as much as to caution, but earlier this year I heard of two incidences of electrocution near a boat and also near a dock - in both situations if I remember correctly it killed multiple kids and people, and I never heard the final report, but they were expecting to find worn and/or insulation issues from the dock incident. Just something to always keep in mind.   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline iowa cv-23

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »
I agree with putting the second battery on the other side of the boat to balance it.  I'll put the battery switch, master fuse block, and inverter and built in charger on the side with the existing battery to make the electonics entry into the cuddy easier by being able to go through behind the dash.  There is a large panel there that would hold the removeable monitor and I will be able to flush mount the power outlet for it, and 12 volt appliances. 

Great ideas! - I'm sure it would be way way too impractical probably, but what do you think about mounting the monitor way up in the nose (where most guys have mirrors).  It would give the "viewers" more headroom, being able to sit up & lean back each side  in the "large" part of the cuddy, instead of having to tuck in underneath towards the nose - not alot of headroom up there.  Anyway, great ideas & good luck!

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 10:27:29 PM »
I was thinking that by mounting the monitor behind the dash that it could be swung around to the entry and viewed from the outside.  It has to be easily removed and stored for transport, or removed for storage.  I wouldn't want to leave it in there all the time.  I think moisture and theft would be its biggest nemesis. I would probably only take it out on lazy day trips and not days like Saturday when we kept the boat moving tubing.
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline V153

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »
Mebbe it's just me. But the last thing I wanna do when I'm out on the water is watch TV or play a effing video game. I go boating to escape that kinda crap!? No offense.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 07:51:22 AM »
So, there are no GLASTRONS or modern entertainment on Snake Island? 

I travel so light these days a CV23 would be a live-aboard ...
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »
Mebbe it's just me. But the last thing I wanna do when I'm out on the water is watch TV or play a effing video game.

Yep. it may be just you, no offence, by yourself in wide open waters, able to run wide open for a long time. Barb's lake house in on one of the most beautiful lakes in southern Oklahoma, but it's a small lake, she can circle in about 10 minutes in Burnin Daylight, so she spends most of the day out tied up in coves with teenage nephews and family.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:51:27 AM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »
With things like iPads I just don't see the need for mounting TV screens in smaller boats which is why I'll never do it in my cruiser.

I also like to get away from "electronics" when out on the boat. When me and my boys do overnights we bring books to read and board games to play.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline bellj

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
We might be being a little unfair to Barb (outside of the teasing) - even my own post talks about extremes from just the small isolator box I mentioned to all out just short of air conditioner capable inverters.

I suspect (because she even mentioned it in one post) all she really wants to do is have a small/simple 12v TV and maybe DVD just to relax with and maybe even one of the really small microwaves like what the truckers use and a few extra lights. Really not much more than most of us have in our vehicles to keep the kids entertained nowadays.

But of course, I'm the pot calling the kettle black by being one of the worst examples...my idea of roughing it is having to downsize to a dorm-size microwave, cellular internet modem, and sporadic satellite reception (or God forbid, reduced to DVD watching like my daughter brings along)(while my wife reads a book)!!   ;)

But the boat only has a CD/stereo, depth-finder, fish-finder, hand-held GPS, and hand-held marine radio for electronics...so far...a literal MODEL of simplicity...   LOL   (I actually don't plan to add anything - it's not a cuddy or cabin, so wouldn't make sense - but I do have an old radar and mounting pole laying around now that I think about it that I picked up cheap years ago...hmm...   ;p   )
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:54 AM »
The nephews only come to the lake one time a year, and stay too busy for TV or books!  No contributing to mind altering delinquency here.

I worked as a technician for AT&T for 30 years, engineering, designing, building, maintaining, and repairing wireline communications circuits that ran up to 260 volts DC from central office to end user. (cell tower, 911 services, and yes some of your emergency services depended on my knowledge of circuits, oil tank storage monitoring etc...)  I may be a little over qualified to run a couple wires carrying 12V DC from the stern to the bow of my boat and install a battery and an inverter.

The monitor is not for me. It's for my partner that still works a high pressure, upper management corporate America job, and likes to relax by letting the mind wonder and watch a movie on the weekends.  So that monitor is going in that CV23.

Now I'm gonna get down off my soapbox and go play with my Carlson, because I THINK I'LL KEEP IT.

1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »
I think a monitor in there would be great.

Especially if you're thinking about a couple days on Superior.  Something to do if its cool & rainy, or if you just want to get out of the sun and take a little catnap.

I think that cuddy (although smallish) allows for a lot more time on the water.
1990 Sierra 1700