Author Topic: GUESS I'LL KEEP IT.  (Read 13919 times)

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: GUESS I'LL KEEP IT.
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
I think a monitor in there would be great.

Especially if you're thinking about a couple days on Superior.  Something to do if its cool & rainy, or if you just want to get out of the sun and take a little catnap.

I think that cuddy (although smallish) allows for a lot more time on the water.

i like the idea too. Just think of how many times you could watch "Live and Let Die" in there!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline bellj

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »
Hi Barb, I suspect that you're probably joking around a bit (hopefully with all of us) the same as I usually do...but because I'm (hopefully unnecessarily) paranoid that I might come off as insulting with people who don't know me very well yet, and just in case on the possible chance that anyone ever mis-interprets my intentions...maybe I had better take some time to put in here that I SINCERELY hope that you, or anybody else, NEVER takes anything I suggest or write as questioning any of anybody's abilities - in fact quite the opposite - because I consider this forum as a non-judgemental "information pot" where everyone contributes whatever information their experience, skills, trial & errors, and/or even what they read or heard might help. And adding in the joking around makes for a truly magical and special place.

I consider myself to have been fortunate enough to experience a wide and varied background in mechanics, electronics, computers, and networks - (my father used to joking call it "jack of all trades, master of none") - but I have learned through the years that regardless how much or little experience, it just scratches the surface of each field, and I encounter people almost each and every day who know so much more than I do about so many more things in those same and other fields than I ever could hope to know. It's when everyone's knowledge is combined that it becomes truly valuable.

So...if by any chance you (or anyone else) took (or take) any of my posts (now or in the future) as questioning any of your abilities, you have my sincere apologies. My only desire is to share and contribute something possibly worthwhile, which I see others do seemingly effortlessly on a daily, even hourly, basis (and I have no illusion that I'm not more wrong than right more often than not since every situation has possible combination differences)...and it's sincerely NEVER my intention to possibly come off as arrogant - which I've personally experienced is always an unintentional risk.

In fact, with what you listed as background and my background of getting into computers by building my first one because they weren't common yet (I consider humorous, but dates me as well), I'll bet we could have one heck of a fun conversation some time!   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline iowa cv-23

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »

"i like the idea too. Just think of how many times you could watch "Live and Let Die" in there!"

don't you mean "Moonraker" - maybe around 1 hour or so in???

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2012, 11:30:56 AM »
Jim, don't worry about anything that you have posted being offensive to me.  I would rather have my abilities questioned before my intentions.

And by the way, I am not putting a 12V monitor in there.  I am thinking a 13" actual television with built in DVD player and HDMI. It makes the possibilities limitless.  I just havent decided how many watts I am going to want for the inverter.  It's done in Semi's for truck drivers all the time.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline V153

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »
Just think of how many times you could watch "Live and Let Die" in there!
Hmm, I hadn't thought about that ...  Okay I like the monitor idea too!
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2012, 04:09:51 PM »
Great idea Barb... You'll love it. Sounds like the kind of boating you do with that one is alot like what I did with my houseboat. Now we tied them up on Friday and stayed together till late Sunday every weekend, but the same deal pretty much. I put in an inverter with a 13" flat panel, a DVD, an antenna, and a game system. Best thing I ever did. I could watch the news, watch the race, movies, play video games and entertain other peoples children/grandchildren. Same people who gave me a hard time about it were the same ones in there watching tv with me!  ::)
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »
Wex, What size inverter did you use?  I'm thinking 1500 watts will serve my purpose. Can't wait to see what's in the package you're shipping to OKC.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
My inverter was huge, 5000 watt surge and 2500 continuous. It was overkill, but I got a good deal, so I used it. I would say 1500 watt continuous and 2000 or 2500 surge will do everything you want and a little buffer space so it's not working too hard (at capacity) all the time. Tv's don't need much at that size. Just watch your mounting location for moisture and cooling air.

Tell Red he's gotta send me his shipping info, he was supposed to get that to me, think he needs a poke! I'm excited for you to get it, I like being able to help out, especially with a cool project like that, you just got lucky that I happened to have it (and that I like you guys!)  ;D
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »
Barb

Few years back we had a 25' cruiser in a slip on the St.Croix, we had a small 12" TV/DVD that we kept in the truck until night, then we would call local pizza place and have dinner and a movie ...

We used shore power so can't help with setup ...

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
Easiest way I know to figure out what you need is to combine the total wattage of everything you might want to run at the same time. If the appliances you are looking at aren't rated in watts, take the volts (110 I assume) times the amps that it draws, and that gives you the watts. For example, a 110 volt appliance that draws 5 amps would be 550 watts. Some appliances draw a little more at startup, which is where the surge rating on the inverter comes in.
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline bellj

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2012, 08:32:41 PM »
Just a minor suggestion for your inverter model/brand shopping consideration - if you don't plan on adding much more load than a TV/DVD and/or a few other fairly light items (don't add a hair dryer or coffee maker) - I would recommend trying to find a "true" (well, almost) sine-wave unit around the 800-1200 watt range (continuous, not surge rating) over a little less expensive but common "modified" sine-wave type unit.

I started to write my reasons, which I can certainly do if requested, but even trying to stay brief was turning into a huge post. So I'll just recommend that due to operational efficiency and current draw that you might find that range might possibly serve your planned installation best.   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline V153

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2012, 09:01:12 PM »
Pardon my ignorance but doesn't something have to be done periodically to replenish the battery(s) that the aforementioned wattage is coming from?
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline bellj

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »
That's one of the reasons I recommended staying around the 800-1200 watt size rating for what she's currently considering running...a fairly good deep-cycle battery powering a fairly efficient inverter with a pretty light load like a TV/DVD combo - especially if she turns off the inverter in-between use rather than idle mode - I feel pretty confident should be able to run without draining the inverter battery too far down to damage it (probably enough for a couple days without even straining) and I suspect she'll run the engine alternator enough to recharge enough between any stops during a normal outing. This of course assumes that she installs an isolator of some sort (like the small box I mentioned in a previous post) to combine the starting and auxiliary batteries to allow the alternator to charge both when running.

While at home between excursions, if the inverter model she chooses doesn't have a built in charger (most smaller units don't usually include that - nor do they usually include battery saving three or more stage charging, if they do include a charger), then a simple, but separate, battery maintainer/trickle charger plugged in could keep everything ready to go also.

As with so many projects, there are many design options (including solar and wind charging) depending on how large or simple she wants things to be.   :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:36:48 AM by bellj »
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
Tell Red he's gotta send me his shipping info, he was supposed to get that to me, think he needs a poke! I'm excited for you to get it, I like being able to help out, especially with a cool project like that, you just got lucky that I happened to have it (and that I like you guys!) 

Ooop's
Sorry bout that Steve, but you should know by now my rememberer don't work as good as my intentioner does, must be a wiring issue, anyway,  I'll shoot you an email when I get this posted .. unless I forget.
I got side tracked the last couple days on another boat deal with my buddy at the boat shop, but I did get those tops back from Frankie today, and I spent this afternoon getting them sanded down and looking good for you, but it will probably be Monday getting them to the post office. 
1980 23ft Scimitar