Author Topic: Glastron Carlson CV23 Restoration  (Read 30921 times)

Offline frankdevrieslentsch

Glastron Carlson CV23 Restoration
« on: November 10, 2014, 06:57:22 AM »
Hi guys, I'm Frank. I live in the Netherlands, and I am in the beginning of my restoration. I first want to have a plan about how I am going to do this, before I go any further.
I found this CV23 in a city that is called Alphen aan den Rijn, I was driving my little boat on the river de Rijn. I saw it standing in sombody's backyard, and I thought is that really what i think it is. I took some pictures, and looked it up on internet and then I saw that it really was a Glastron Carlson CV23. After some asking around by a friend of mine that lives in that town, I heard that it was for sale. I went that same week to the owners and looked at it. I saw that it was completly rotten, and the owners asked 4000 euros for it. I bid them 800 euro, and a week later they called me that it was ok. I picked it up with the tractor because the trailer was to bad for towing it with a car.
When I came home everybody thought I was crazy for buying an old rotten boat :o. I told them that they were crazy that they don't liked it. I gave it a good clean and parked it inside. After I took the interior out of it, and inspected the engine I saw that the engine was seeced. I took the engine out of it, and sold it.
After that I builded a cradle for the boat to sit on, because the trailer was real bad.
And now I have removed the floor and I am making a plan to do this restoration.

I am thinking that I just going to do this resto with wood and poly. And I want to set the transom back and raise the drive a bit for more speed.

But I have a lot of questions:
1) I'm thinking about making the new floor lower, for more interior room. Is this a good idea?
2)What kind of fiberglass cloth is good to use? I never used biax cloth or something, I only used CSM and very light woven.
3)What is smart to glue the stringers in the hull? I saw people use PL, peanut butter, 3M 5200 and more.

I have more questions but they come later.

How do I post pictures? Because I have a lot of pictures off the process so far.

Frank

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:35:33 AM by frankdevrieslentsch »
1978 CV23

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Glastron Carlson CV23 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:00:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum Frank !

You can start a (free) Photobucket account, upload your pictures and post the [img]   ...
Or ...
Click on the "Attachments and other options" below your post and "Browse" for pictures on your computer.

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:26:50 AM »
Welcome Frank. We're looking forward to seeing some pictures and following your restoration. Thank you for saving another Glastron Carlson. When you are done you will make believers out of the naysayers.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
Frank,

It sounds like you bought a boat that is in the same condition as the one I am restoring. I am done with  the lower half of the hull, I sharpened the strakes removed all the hook and I am raising the engine and drive 2 inches. 

My floor is pretty much done. I have posted lots of pics here is the Thread for the rebuild.

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3740.0
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »
Also to answer a couple questions for you.

1 The floor is actually raised to give more room if you lower it the floor width would get narrower. These boats have the same width as a CVX-18 but seem much bigger because of the floor being higher in the hull.

2. Cloth is up to you each person has their own opinion. I used double biax to tie in the stringers to hull and where the floor meets the hull on the edges. I bedded the stringers with a resin cabisol mix(peanut butter). Then used just regular cloth on the outside of the floor.

Good luck with the rebuild!!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the reply's!
The first pictures are from where the boat was standing for the last ten years on the property of the past owner. The other pictures are that I brought the boat home, that I washed it, of the engine and that I started on it to take things out.
1978 CV23

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 10:28:11 AM »
Part two
1978 CV23

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »
That is the weirdest trailer...why is it up 6ft in the air?
1990 Sierra 1700

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »
I don't get that either, that's why I build the cradle.
1978 CV23

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 10:30:54 AM »
Yeah, guess that's why you used the tractor too then...should be a great boat when you're all done!
1990 Sierra 1700

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 10:31:57 AM »
The final part.
1978 CV23

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »

1 The floor is actually raised to give more room if you lower it the floor width would get narrower. These boats have the same width as a CVX-18 but seem much bigger because of the floor being higher in the hull.

2. Cloth is up to you each person has their own opinion. I used double biax to tie in the stringers to hull and where the floor meets the hull on the edges. I bedded the stringers with a resin cabisol mix(peanut butter). Then used just regular cloth on the outside of the floor.

I saw that some people put a spacer between the stringer and the hull, while they glue them in. Did you put a spacer between the stringer and the hull?

Frank
1978 CV23

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 10:47:38 AM »
Frank

Welcome.

It looks like you are past the ugly part of removing all the rotted material, the rest is kind of fun.

Question 1:  I would leave the floor height where it was designed.  Changing designs adds a complication to this process.  Focus on what is the logical and simplest way to fix it. 

Question 2:  You will use several different thickness of fiberglass cloth.  The heavy stuff for main structural support, medium for connections of stringers to the hull, and a lightweight fiberglass one piece for a top coat over the decking material.

Question 3:  Resin coat everything, no wood below the deck should be exposed.  Resin the stingers in and then fiberglass them in.  Coat the underside of the deck with resin as well.

There are a lot of ways to do this rebuild and many will be correct.  Dry fit your flooring before you start mixing resin though; there are some odd angles to the keel beam and stringers that are much easier to correctly fit out of the boat.  Just dig in and learn along the way. 

Best of luck.

David

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.msg71670#msg71670
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Frank

Welcome.

It looks like you are past the ugly part of removing all the rotted material, the rest is kind of fun.

Question 1:  I would leave the floor height where it was designed.  Changing designs adds a complication to this process.  Focus on what is the logical and simplest way to fix it. 

Question 2:  You will use several different thickness of fiberglass cloth.  The heavy stuff for main structural support, medium for connections of stringers to the hull, and a lightweight fiberglass one piece for a top coat over the decking material.

Question 3:  Resin coat everything, no wood below the deck should be exposed.  Resin the stingers in and then fiberglass them in.  Coat the underside of the deck with resin as well.

There are a lot of ways to do this rebuild and many will be correct.  Dry fit your flooring before you start mixing resin though; there are some odd angles to the keel beam and stringers that are much easier to correctly fit out of the boat.  Just dig in and learn along the way. 

Best of luck.

David

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.msg71670#msg71670

Your boat looks awesome!
1978 CV23

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 04:11:54 PM »

I saw that some people put a spacer between the stringer and the hull, while they glue them in. Did you put a spacer between the stringer and the hull?

Frank

No I did not I just put a layer of PB down and then set the stringer into it. Then I used a plastic spoon to smooth the edge and give it a nice curve. Then before it hardened I layed the glass on the stringer to the floor so everything could bond together.

The original design on the stringers I did not like so I modified mine some. The stringers from the factory were split up a lot and not continuous. I made mine as all as long as I could and also made it so the cross braces locked into the stringers. If you look threw my thread you will see what I am talking about.

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
If you crawl underneath and look at the bottom of the hull about where the cuddy floor starts you will probably see some stress cracks. A lot of the 23's I have seen have stress cracks in the hull in this area. Again one of the reasons i changes a few things and added a couple more to mine.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 02:19:26 PM »
If you crawl underneath and look at the bottom of the hull about where the cuddy floor starts you will probably see some stress cracks. A lot of the 23's I have seen have stress cracks in the hull in this area. Again one of the reasons i changes a few things and added a couple more to mine.

You mean the little stringer under the cabinfloor that you added? I think that I'm add one too, how stronger how better!
1978 CV23

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 03:04:21 PM »
it was built adjustable for a sail boat
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline V153

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 07:15:53 PM »
it was built adjustable for a sail boat
Looks more to me like the bottom half of a ballistic missile launcher ... But what do I know ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline nes-cv23

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
What do you have planed for the out drive?   Omc back in? Mercruiser? Or maybe a duel prop?   How about the motor? Bigger? Better? And don't forget more POWER!    We all know someone who put twin jets in one..   Nows the time to have fun with all of it....   :)
84 ssv-151, 76 cvx-16 ss, 77cvx-20 jet, 90 CSS-19, 78 cv-23, 77 gt-150, 2-78 cvx-16, 79cvx-16, 79 cvz-18,  73 cv-16, 74 cv-18, 89 219 Futura, 76 gt-150 jet, 79 cv-23, 02 Gx-225,  1980 intimidator = done!.. 79 hvp175   Now  done?