General Category > Vendor and Repair Resources

Glastron/Carlson windshields ...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Hyperacme:
Thanks to Steven E Johnson ...

Make your own GT / CV windshield.

Just finished stripping and polishing the windshield frame on my CV16. And formed a new windshield from 3/16" Plexiglas using a buck that I made from MDF.

I will try to explain further.

Remove the original glass.
Using a small amount of spray adhesive, stick a big enough piece of paper to it and trace the outline. Transfer the outline to your new Plexiglas. Cut out using a jigsaw with a fine to medium cut blade on the slow. Slowest speed possible.

Use your frames to trace the shape for each buck. Start in the center heating up the new windshield to get the first bend.
Tape the glass down to keep it from shifting. Proceed to one side and continue to heat and bend and tape it down as you go. That's pretty much all there is to it.
I was able to drill fast and clean using a cobalt bit for steel.

Heat gun / Wagner Ferno 750. With a spreader nozzle. About $80.00 at big box store.
 I set the heat at 1300 degrees and kept it moving. Once it's warm enough, it starts to bend on its own.
Tested with scrap in order to know how much heat to use.
Also, I left the protective film on the back side as you can see from the picture.

Wood / MDF: $35.00
Plexiglas: $80.00 (36" x 72")
Gun: $80.00 (but you can pickup a cheaper one for less than $30.00)
All thread, nuts and washers less than $30.00
$225.00 all in.

Hyperacme:
Rick wrote this about drilling holes in plexi windshields.

Little note on this. The Plexi is very brittle and unforgiving.  I know you will want to bend it into place and drill over and into existing holes. Don't. Any stress on the plastic while you are drilling will send a crack along the bend from the new hole up. Better to mark, flatten out, drill and re-position.  I bought a UDP and it was the right size but too expensive. I think we could start our own pool of drawings.

*R

Hyperacme:
The hinge go's out of stock from time to time ..
Search Google for " Windshield hinge plastic "  or " Gulfcart hinge "   .. Size would be 2 inch or 50mm ..

Windshield hinge plastic ...
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet/storefront/store.php?mode=searchstore&search%5Bsearchfor%5D=plastic+hinge

Hyperacme:
CVX windshield gasket (Bottom).  Thanks John !
Looks very similiar to vw beetle fender welting.  Thanks Mike !

Total width   22/32 in.

Distance from edge of bulge to end 14/32 in.

Diameter of bulge  1/4 in.

Thickness of base material  1/16 in.

CVX16 = 82 in. long
CVX18 / CVX20's = 88 in. long

http://simolex.com/product/p-shaped-silicone-extruded-profile/

Hyperacme:
BOAT TAYLOR WINDSHIELD HOLD DOWN HARDWARE~STARCRAFT~FEATHERCRAFT~GLASTRON~MARINE
horsehead_traders eBay store …
https://www.ebay.com/sch/horsehead_traders/m.html?item=361073454913&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

SET OF 4 HIDDEN HOLD DOWN FASTENERS FOR OLDER TAYLOR PLEXIGLASS WRAP-AROUND BOAT WINDSHIELDS.  Set includes 4 OF EACH: threaded paddle fastener, rubber grommet, acorn nut, and lock nut. Works great with our pre-cut 110" Taylor style white rubber window gasket found in our other ebay listings or by contacting us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version