Author Topic: CGOA is down ...  (Read 11796 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: CGOA is down ...
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »
Loss of pictures have rendered some very good rebuild threads almost useless ...
We suffered the same loss of attached pictures after the last forum software update, BUT it had to be done ...

I tried hosting every ones (on this forum) pictures on Photobucket, but with the amount of pictures and bandwidth I would have had to upgrade my account to a paid account, and Photobucket is "Flaky" at best ...

Yeah, the sad thing is that the pictures are still there, the links to them on the server were broken.  So its really just an image repository at that point.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CharlieN

• Over in Vermont
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »
Yeah, the sad thing is that the pictures are still there, the links to them on the server were broken.  So its really just an image repository at that point.
And with that being the case it is up to each person to spend the time to restore their thread. I did so for the few attached pictures in my postings because I like to keep things complete.
I host 4 forums and do not have allot of room for attachments. It is interesting how simple some things must be for people to post in there thread that they need the simplicity of attachments. Damn if they are not willing to clean up there own space.
Regards,
Charlie
'87 CVX-20 Yammi 225 Excel
'76 CVX 20 hull being converted to surfacedrive

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:12 PM »
We're fortunate in that we have unlimited space.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline MarkS

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 01:53:09 PM »
Do a refresh Mark ... They've been online all morning ...
That worked, thanks Gregg.  I forgot the cardinal rule in our IT department, "reboot, refresh, then call if it still doesn't work!"   :o
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
I host 4 forums and do not have allot of room for attachments. It is interesting how simple some things must be for people to post in there thread that they need the simplicity of attachments. Damn if they are not willing to clean up there own space.

Honestly, attaching files to the forum thread vs. using a hosted solution is more stable and 'better' long term IMO.  Google Photos/Picasa has a history of refreshing/regenerating the hosted picture links which destroys threads in an instant without anything to do with the forum.  Photobucket, heck they all do, has done the same thing.  Its a 'pick your poison' decision.

Attachments & Avatars were broken when I moved us to fresh copy of SMF.  We were on a locked down/crippled version that 1&1 promotes as a quick and easy way to host a website/forum without having to know anything about the technologies that support it.  Pretty sure my bin/ASCII flag was wrong when I did the migration, but it was too late to fix it when I figured it out...would have lost new data to do it.

However, that move allowed us to add several plugin's that have (knock on wood) so far kept the spammers/hackers at bay, and at the same time, allowed us to stay current on security patches. 

We all know its only a matter of time...we will get hacked at some point as nothing is secure on the internet.  We can only plug the holes as patches are issued and block IP's we don't like...and we have entire portions of the world blocked at this point. 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CharlieN

• Over in Vermont
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 02:56:34 PM »
  We can only plug the holes as patches are issued and block IP's we don't like...and we have entire portions of the world blocked at this point.
I use space ISP provides to host my images. I do not like the image hosting services, I bet I have a bunch of images on Picassa somewhere, no clue where they went. I had a hundred sunrise and fall color images up on Google Earth, no clue where they went or how to access them.

I gave up with most of the IP blocking I did, I have a number of members from OZ and NZ that when I did country wide blocks covering China, some of those guy could not get to the site, server is in Texas.
I now block addresses such as *@ymail.net. Having watched one hacker trying to register and his IP was coming from many different countries I released the IP blocks and went for the common source hosts. The biggest problem source currently is yahoo but they have not made it very far getting through and I have a few member using Yahoo and do not want to cut them out. For now my workload is low and the sites are clean.
Regards,
Charlie

Offline V153

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 05:10:16 PM »
It's like deja vu all over again ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Fuzzbutt

• '77 Silver/White CVX16 Deluxe
    • Mykeeshond.com
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 11:50:23 PM »
If the pictures are all gone users need to be realistic and just me honest with themselves and abandon all hope and move on.

Personally I host pics in a few different ways. Yea I'd rather host directly on the forum but photobucket does get used occasionally to host some pics.  My first web site hosts a few things but getting them uploaded is hard. I prefer to use my latest website/host to host the pics. I have full control that way.

I think we all would have been better off creating our own blog to allow others to follow our project process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you've made up your mind that you just aren't doing anything productive for the rest of the day."

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
I'm getting  " 504 Gateway Time-out "  &   " 502 Bad Gateway "  ?

EDIT ...

It's back, maybe it was just me & my browser ?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:24:06 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline CharlieN

• Over in Vermont
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »
That has not been uncommon for the last half year, should be able to go to the main page or back to the thread you were on.
I just moved around cleanly.
Regards,
Charlie

Offline CharlieN

• Over in Vermont
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
Is it just me or is CGOA down again? I am hoping they are changing hosts?
Regards,
Charlie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »
Yep !

I'm seeing this ...

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
User toddkimball already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Offline CharlieN

• Over in Vermont
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »
SQL ERROR for me to, all day. Do you know if the changes spoken of may be a host, or server change? This one sure has not been good.
Regards,
Charlie

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 05:31:13 PM »
That's not a "changing hosts"  error... a DoS attack possibly.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 08:16:06 AM »
The CGOA home page is still up, but forum is still down ...

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 08:20:40 AM »
It's back ... again ...

Offline CharlieN

• Over in Vermont
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 08:25:40 AM »
Umm, yes I had not thought to check this morning.
Looks like I was the last one to post before it went down, Humm.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:27:42 AM by CharlieN »
Regards,
Charlie