Author Topic: Finally a closer inspection of my bow paint issue  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Waterwolf

Finally a closer inspection of my bow paint issue
« on: June 11, 2021, 06:43:27 PM »
So finally getting time to look at my bow deck. This as you can tell is not original paint job and it look like the "gel coat" is flaking off. Soo not being a painter what can I do to prep the top side for painting.  huh for some reason it posted upside down but click on it and it's correct. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:59:43 PM by Waterwolf »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Finally a closer inspection of my bow paint issue
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 07:34:17 PM »
Hard to say from picture ... but might be a "clear coat" over the top of original gel.
The stuff seem to flake and peel off after time.
Maybe try a power washer to get it off .. if it is a clear coat ..

Jeff's Timmi had it.
I think he scraped it off with a razer blade.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 08:08:37 PM »
Pretty common quick fix to spray over old gel in an attempt to restore the flake.   Looks ok for awhile.   Since your not dealing with flake to save, you have greater options.   If you're planning a long term ownership, I would strip and repaint, either auto finish or gel.   I've seen folks blend more clear in, but it looks kinda awfully, and doesn't last.    I've never done it, but I wonder if an auto stripper chemical could pull the clear and auto paint off without affecting the gel.  Might be worth a try and could save time sanding.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Waterwolf

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 09:48:34 AM »
Yea, I will agree its a clear coat as it is front to back like that. Granted now I have looked closer at the transom I have real work there before I consider the paint. :'(
I will get close picks of the damage to the transom as it looks like the previous owner dropped the boat on it's butt at some point.

I will get someone to do the paint work but I will clean up to the point where I can have a pro paint it. Not sure the purple is the true original paint.
thanks for the input for the truck driving boat owning novice restorer.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »
In 1976 MF Red/white or MF blue/blue where standard colors. MF silver or MF orange where extra cost options.
I have never seen a 1976 MF orange CV16 outboard.
I have seen a few 1976 CV16's in MF silver and one in MF blue with your style GT160 seats.

Offline Waterwolf

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 11:58:59 AM »
Was able to find the original color which was MF Red and white. Why anyone would cover it up is beyond me.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 01:57:18 PM »
After time and exposure to sun, gel/flake will get a faded chalky dull coating.
Wet sanding/compound/wax will remove top faded layer and bring back the deep shine, unless gel/flake is to far gone ..