Author Topic: Engine about finished  (Read 1862 times)

Offline melinprov

Engine about finished
« on: June 14, 2021, 09:36:45 PM »
So last year I found and bought parts in the winter and spring for the engine for my V179- AQ130c and just finished most of it up today, a little fine tuning and completing details and I will test start it. I painted the stern drive also but it needs one more coat off the stand and some sanding to cover the zinc primer. I still have a lot of detail work in the boat to do

Offline melinprov

Re: Engine about finished
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 09:39:22 PM »
more

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 11:05:53 PM »
Nicely done, I've always like the look of the copper tubing on those engines in contrast with the other parts.     Should be getting close to splashing very soon
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline melinprov

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 04:22:20 PM »
Thanks, I really like the copper also. A funny thing I just noticed today was that the starter solenoid was bypassed and a car solenoid used to achieve the start. I noticed that because I was trying to figure out in the manual how to wire the main fuse or even put it on, I am surprised I didn't pick up on this earlier. It seems to work-- I did energize it today to check my valves and the electric before I start it. I did try it with the solenoid on the starter first before trying the added one and of course it was a no go, then I went to look at used starters and  found prices from $60.  (as is ) to to $600.  (guarantied to work)  for a starter for this aq 130c. I hope to find a working one soon. The old main fuse that came off 3 years ago was blown and there is a lesser inline fuse--maybe 30-40 amp---coming off the old solenoid. I did get some resistance/ heat today at my pos. battery cable but I thought it was because I don't have a full load of oil in the engine yet. As to splashing it, I wish it would be this year but there is still a lot of things to do and my work is still crazy busy and its been too hot to work outside most of the day here- and with water restrictions I spend a few hours  spot hand watering my garden/crops/lawn on the days I don't get irrigation or a watering turn--we are allowed 2 watering days a week plus irrigation. I'm hoping for a full on start this next week after I move it outside and add a simple water and gas set up. I hope there's enough water in the lake when I do get  to that point when I splash it!

Offline melinprov

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
so here's a update, after 2 tries to start I blew the original coil and capacitor, found a coil locally but had to send off for the capacitor-should be here today around 4 pm and I will try again. These parts checked out OK before and I did go through the distributor so I think that is it...unless the charge control has problems now

Offline melinprov

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 03:58:24 PM »
Since then...after 2 tries to start I blew the original coil and condenser. I replaced those with new. I decided to take off the selinod someone added to replace and bypass my bad one on my bosch starter and then go back to the original starter. I had a hard time finding a reasonable priced original and I ended up buying a "compatible starter". The first one they sent was wrong, the second one was troublesome and I ended up rebuilding my original starter and it starts now! however...there is oil in the exhaust water. It sounds great and runs pretty dang good for a first start but I'm going to take a good look at the cooling circuit. Before I had a small amount of water in the engine oil. The outside of the engine gets to about 120 right now and I did have some water leaks around the in and out of the impellor and going into the oil-water cooler. Hey but it starts right!

Offline melinprov

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 07:15:06 PM »
 runs but still details to work out