Author Topic: Motor seems to run poor at 1/4 tank ? ( Tower of Power )  (Read 2140 times)

Offline not2worried

Motor seems to run poor at 1/4 tank ? ( Tower of Power )
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:24:11 AM »
Had a problem with this last year, but wasn't sure what it could be.I was pulling some tubers and trying to take off the motor would bog and some times die. Was low on gas.
So running it yesterday. Boat run great, at first. But again taking off ( no tubers) the boat started to bog and lack power. Notice I was at about 1/4 tank of gas left.
I was able to run the boat at med/low idle. I would assume its starving for fuel and the angle the boat is lifting is pulling fuel away. But at only 1/4 tank? Tank is mounted inside the boat. What should I be looking for here?
Mercury 115hp
Thanks

1985 SSV 167    THE MARSHMALLOW
115 Hp Merc

Offline DanR

Re: Motor seems to run poor at 1/4 tank ? ( Tower of Power )
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:43:02 AM »
I'd check to make sure your gauge is accurate. Then I'd make sure the pick-up tube is in good condition. If those look good, make sure you keep it above a 1/4 tank!
1974 CV16
2001 GX205
1978 Venture bass boat

Offline bellj

Re: Motor seems to run poor at 1/4 tank ? ( Tower of Power )
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »
If this is a carburetor model, you might also want to check the condition of your fuel pump - especially the diaphragm and gaskets - because if it would have developed a pin hole or something, it might not be getting quite enough suction when the tank gets emptier and it has to "pull" (suck) harder. With that same idea in mind, you might also want to check the fuel line for any place where a little air could be getting in around connections, or even small cracks in any hoses.

Checking the gauge and pick-up tube like Dan suggested is an excellent suggestion, and I'd suggest taking that even a step further to drain the tank to make sure there's nothing on the bottom like accumulated water (I would think a little less doubtful, but could cause major motor damage if it would happen to be), and it wouldn't be the first time some debris and/or hardware made it inside a tank and floats around until the level is low enough for it to get sucked against the pick-up tube to restrict the flow a bit.

One easy test (although I'd still recommend checking the other stuff regardless), would be if you have a portable tank (or know someone who might be willing to lend you one) that you could hook straight to the motor and then give it a try in similar conditions...it might confirm whether it's a fuel pump or other motor issue (possibly sticky carb floats at a high angle?) or whether it's a tank issue. Either way, you don't want to take a chance on running it "lean" for very long.

With any luck, it's something simple and not some combination or these or other things. Good luck!   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"