Author Topic: More help needed - Outdrive replacement options?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Mootspoints

More help needed - Outdrive replacement options?
« on: August 27, 2023, 08:33:12 AM »
I have a ?79 CVZ-18 - originally a Mercruiser 228 boat, now has a 350 4bbl.  Just swapped out the ignition and it runs and rides incredible.

It?s descent, but needs a resto.  Planning to undertake that this winter.  Question:

The boat has a pre-alpha outdrive.  TR or TRS, not sure.  The problem is the steering is loose as hell.  The pinion think that?s what it?s called - the part that goes into the gimble) is moving, and the steering cylinder holes are oblong.  I?ve read these are known issues.  It looks like parts are discontinued.

So, is it possible to swap in a newer outdrive without having to rebuild the transom?  Do any share the same hole pattern through the hull?  Is this possible?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: More help needed - Outdrive replacement options?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 11:21:37 AM »
I don't know an alpha from a bravo .. but someone will respond ..
This should help with which drive you have now ..

Offline awc105

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 11:33:37 AM »
Hi Mootspoints,

Based on a quick image search your boat has an MC-1 or R drive (many people call these "Pre-Alpha"), this was what came with the Mercruiser 898 or 228 package. I believe in 1980 the Alpha One came out, any Alpha One Gen One drive will mount to your gimbal no problem.

As far as the loose steering is concerned, that would require a replacement of the gimbal ring, originally mercury used a spline steering shaft, but later changed the design to a square shaft because the splines were not able to be adjusted and would wear out much quicker...

Hope that helps some.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Mootspoints

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 12:07:25 PM »
Okay, it looks like an MC-1, yes.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 08:39:19 AM »
Alphas and bravos have the same football cutout in the transom.    Nothing wrong with your current drive selection for that engine, just keep up with the maintenance.  If in need of a drive, SEI has drives for a reasonable price.    Not sure if they sell other transom components, you'd have to check
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 02:18:43 PM »
You will need a tramsom assembly from an alpha.   There is a kit to replace the steering arm on and gimbal ring. As replacing the tramsom assembly requires pulling the motor. But it sounds like your plans are to restore.  Which would be the time to do it.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline demian5

• Work hard and use your vacation days...
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 05:39:49 PM »
I was able to get a nice original MC1 gimbal ring and pin and lever from someone in Minnesota that parts out boats. His name is Jesse Helget on facebook and in the mercruiser groups on FB.  I replaced that and the steering cable in my 1979 CVX 16ss and its beautiful now.

I can give you his direct contact information if you message me and are looking to just repair whats in the boat.
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS I/O Mercruiser 140 "Brick House"

Offline Mootspoints

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 07:40:32 AM »
I was able to get a nice original MC1 gimbal ring and pin and lever from someone in Minnesota that parts out boats. His name is Jesse Helget on facebook and in the mercruiser groups on FB.  I replaced that and the steering cable in my 1979 CVX 16ss and its beautiful now.

I can give you his direct contact information if you message me and are looking to just repair whats in the boat.

Hey I?ll do that, thanks.

Offline Mootspoints

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 07:41:34 AM »
You will need a tramsom assembly from an alpha.   There is a kit to replace the steering arm on and gimbal ring. As replacing the tramsom assembly requires pulling the motor. But it sounds like your plans are to restore.  Which would be the time to do it.

Already had the motor out once?. There?s a lot I should have done then in hindsight.  Still planning to pull it for the winter though.