Author Topic: New member looking for help/ advice. 1978 CVX16 Deluxe  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Labguymn

New member looking for help/ advice. 1978 CVX16 Deluxe
« on: July 27, 2020, 07:32:43 PM »
Hello,
This was my dads boat, he bought it in the fall of 1981.  As told to him, the original owner was a race car driver who won this boat with a matching Corvette.  The guy decided to keep the car and sell the boat.
My dad passed away last spring and the cabin where we had it is in the process of being sold, I need to find a new home for this boat.  The transom and I believe part of the floor was professionally repaired for the summer of 2019, however the part of the hull that sits on the boat lift has a soft spot and a crack.

The two options I have for a new home for it are buying it from my family members and trying to fix it myself, or sell it to someone that will finish restoring a  professionally started project.  I have zero experience working with fiberglass but am fairly mechanically inclined.  Would I be getting into something over my head as a first project like this?  The other question is if I were to sell it how much is it worth and how much interest is there in 16 foot models?

I'm looking for input on either of the options or any other advise people are willing to give.  If I decide to sell it I will put it in the classified section on this site with a full description before posting anywhere else.  I just want someone to do the boat right whether it's myself or someone else who can appreciate what great boats these are.

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: New member looking for help/ advice. 1978 CVX16 Deluxe
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:16:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum Andy !
I see your in MN. Are you in the city's ?
Just had same problem with my boat .. I had crack in about the same spot.
Had to cut out floor and patch crack, then put in new floor.
Jim and Dave did mine.
If you have a garage and some motivation there enough info here from member and Express Composites to easily do it.

Offline Labguymn

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 08:33:11 PM »
Hyperacme,  Thank you for the pictures and description, that helped a lot.  Yes, I am in Minnesota near Hastings, the boat is in Zimmerman.  I'm going off of pictures on my phone but I think the crack is further forward, past the windshield.  If that's the case it's going to be a little more difficult getting to it.  I'll have to get to the boat and take a look at it and go from there.  If I decide to tackle the project I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions, but it looks like there is a ton of knowledge here.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 10:02:57 PM »
I'll bet your transoms bad also ..

Offline Labguymn

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 12:19:25 PM »
Yes, the transom was bad but it was repaired the winter of 2018/19.  That's part of the reason I want to try and fix this crack myself. I'd like to make the money spent on that repair worth while.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 04:19:41 PM »
Same here .. I have so much time and money into mine, and didn't want to start over with a new (old) boat that need more work.