Author Topic: Electric Fuel pumps  (Read 1362 times)

Offline 75starflight

Electric Fuel pumps
« on: May 06, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
Good day everyone,

it has been a while since I posted. With being parents now the boats have been put on the back burner and we have just been enjoying family time. Now it is time to get Phoenix back on the water for some family fun.

Question for the group, Phoenix My V179 hasn't been started in around 4 years. I am going to inspect the motor and drive this weekend and clean out the fuel system.(weather permitting of course since I have to work outdoors)

I know it is in need of a new fuel pump and I was looking at getting a Holley red marine electric pump and the associated safety switch for oil pressure instead of using a silver can vane pump (I have a new one of these on the shelf).

If anyone is using one of these holley pumps, what are you using for a filter before the pump?  with my current setup I am using a glass inline filter from 0'riellys with a replaceable element.

On mounting the Holley pump does it have problems being mounted by the motor with the tank in the bow? and if you are using one of these what does your setup look like?
1975 v-179 starflite

Online thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: Electric Fuel pumps
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 09:40:58 AM »
i have on input on the Holley, i have been happy with the carter vane pumps i have put on the 1900 and the bal harbor.
but i did find a different switch to use, on the 1900 and bal harbor i used a sw that had a N.O. contact to disable the pump with no oil pr, and a N.C. contact to ground for the oil Waring light. prob is you dont get gas until you have oil pr, sometimes requiring much cranking. on the bal harbor i added a relay to run the pump while cranking. sense then i found this switch https://www.ebay.com/itm/231341952249 that has 1 SPDT contact, the attached spec-sheet shows the wiring.
you may have been aware of this switch but if not it is an all around better and simpler solution.
on both boats i have placed the pump after the original Mercruiser filter/separator.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 09:47:14 AM »
Thanks Joe!

I have one of those switches floating around some where that you shared the link too. If my memory serves me right now my fuel pump is linked to my dead man switch so loosing oil pressure would be my only worry.

I may just install the new vane pump I have somewhere in my shop and go from there.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
Nothing more family friendly than boating, hope you see you out there soon.    Certainly some arguments in there for using manual pumps, but I do own boats with electrics as well.    I'm using a carter pump simply cuz it said it was marine rated, and several of the pumps in the shop, Holley, Facet, did not.   As for wiring, it's just tied to the ignition switch, powers on when key is on.   I thought about safety relay's and such, but if the motor dies unexpectedly, I turn the key off anyway and investigate.  My lanyard safety switch drops power to both ignition and pump since it's the same wire from helm.   
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude