General Category > General Discussion

1973 Glastron Carlson CV-16 Restoration

(1/6) > >>

CamCobalt:
Hey all! I recently bought a 1973 CV-16 for a restoration. This is my first boat restoration and came across this forum while trying to find some advice. You all are the most knowledgeable out of all the forums I checked (and rightly so) and this is dedicated to Glastrons and Carlsons.

I have looked through quite a few postings, and they have answered a bit of my questions but I thought I would start my own thread to keep track of the progress and also the help I desperately need haha!

If at anytime I'm asking a question someone has already answered somewhere else and I just missed it please point me in the right direction! I'm still learning of course.

CamCobalt:
Attached are some pictures of the boat through a google album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3363Mpb24mcLpFB9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3363Mpb24mcLpFB9

My current questions reside in the structural integrity of the current boat before restorations as well as identification.
1) I previously thought there were 3 stringers but after going through other posts I now know there is only this one in the center. Mine is still glassed in as you can see, however would anyone recommend doing a core sample to make sure it is not rotted? The plywood flooring underneath the fiberglass was rotted in 3 places, and wet everywhere.

2) there is no HIN on the boat whatsoever. Not on the rear transom or under the steering, I am planning on calling the Louisiana wildlife department (it was registered there in 2010) and seeing if they can provide its HIN, year, or something like that.

3) The transom was reinforced while it was in Louisiana. A marina called Charlies with the project name of Transom Tufner. It seems solid as far as all of my exterior tests have shown. However, once again, would anyone suggest doing a core sample from the interior on the transom as well? and if so, there is a metal plate (the reinforcement) so if I did one to the side would it still yield viable results?

4) Would you suggest I remove ALL fiberglass flooring of the boat? Specifically the lip sections on the sides? I am unconfident in my glassing abilities and this worries me, I believe it would be a lot easier to simply do the rectangular 8-foot-something center piece.

5) I am also unsure about the box of the boat. A previous owner put in an aluminum gas tank. Do the stringers run all the way up past the windshield area? Would the fiberglass on that part need to be replaced as well?

Any help or direction I would greatly appreciate!

Best,
Cam

dorelse:
Welcome!  Ask any question you want...there aren't the FB know-it-all's here.  We've all done the build threads...its great and so much easier to track than on FB Groups.

thedeuceman:
Welcome Cam, nice looking project.
I would definitely suggest taking samples of the stringer and the transom, looking at the condition of the floor unfortunately I think you’ll find them to be wet and soft. Taking a sample of the transom to the side or below of the plate will probably be sufficient. On the floor, I would definitely take the floor out all the way out to the edges where it sets into the strakes and grind out the fiberglass it was originally holding it in. The floor and the stringer do go past the windshield, if they are solid up there it’s OK to splice the floor, I would not splice the stringer unless it’s absolutely necessary. The fiberglass work is fairly straightforward it’s just a matter of using the right materials and making sure you grind all the old stuff out and prep the surface before applying.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oldfishguy:

Welcome!

Here is a short synopsis of what I did.  Almost every boat from our vintage has a weak floor and transom if still original.  The fiberglass and resin work is actually pretty easy, the prep work is what takes time.  Id suggest to just start tearing out the floor and the stringer and replace it.  You will see from my rebuild I spliced in just in front of where your feet sit as a driver.  You really do not know what you have until you dig in to it.  With the transom, is that metal plate permanently mounted?  If not, remove it and see what you have.  If it is permanently mounted just poke around it with a screw driver looking for soft spots.  Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version