Author Topic: flip it  (Read 37984 times)

Offline Jerry

Re: flip it
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
I started sanding and guess what I ran into - - metalflake.  I didn't have this problem on the bottom.  Maybe I shouldn't have thinned it, but it was only 10% and it didn't come out looking like stucco. I'm not doing it over, so I'll just have to live with it.  Do a test on something Red before you shoot the whole thing. Maybe you have to put mold release over the flake before you shoot the clear. You can't use wax but you would have to wash it before the clear. Don't know, time to ask questions.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 11:36:49 PM »
thats too bad Jerry, but I don't know how thats happening to you, even if the prior coat was just tacky, looks like that would prevent the flake from floating ??  and Yes, I been practicing on some other stuff befor I get on to the boat.
I shot a couple coats on the motor cover mold I made off Barb's boat, and remember the motor cover I bought off ebay last year .. I shot a couple coats on it too, and No Wonder some people call this thing a "Dump Gun"  it shoots that resin out at a rate of 12 ounces in less than one minute.  I thinned it too, about 10 %  and still got a Lot of orange peel, more like Grapefruit peel.  I was gonna shoot the boat tomorrow, but I still got to do some more practicing befor I'm comfortable shootin my boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRB8erlR80I

Before and After pic's

1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 01:35:28 AM »
Is that a base color, a flake coat , and a couple clear coats?
Have you sanded it, and buffed it?

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 05:56:42 PM »
Was that the Ebay one that just showed up on you door?

Joe

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
Is that a base color, a flake coat , and a couple clear coats?
Have you sanded it, and buffed it?

Hey Jerry, the first picture is just the way the motor cover looked after I scraped the clear coat off it, the other picture's and video are after I sprayed on the flake, it was just too rough a finish, not like orange peel, more like grapefruit craters. I sprayed it on too thick, and most all the flake just layed down flat.  I sanded it down smooth today and just started over, I put my new G-100 gun up, got out my old primer gun that has a 1.8mm nozzel, (.071 ) this time I mixed up about 12 ounce's of resin, with a small tea spoon of .015 flake and the same amount of .025 flake, three cap full's of styrene monomer thinner, 4cc of mekp, opened up the volumn, narrow spray pattern, 40 lb working pressure, and it layed a thin smooth coat of the flake on with Very little orange peel, after the resin kicked, still tacky, I shot on the first coat of plain clear ...  this time it looks good. I experimented on the back of the intimidator mold a couple times for get the best mixture for me.

Videoo  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S2Bra1gSBc

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:31:27 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
Was that the Ebay one that just showed up on you door?

Joe

Yes, thats the one Joe, it finally came in handy for something, now that it's pretty, maybe I can sell it ... lol
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
Looks good. Maybe I should have used Styrene?? More clear and sand? No wax?
Hi Georgia
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:47:20 PM by Jerry »

Offline Jerry

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2011, 10:52:54 PM »
You put the flake in resin rather than clear gel?

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
thats right Jerry, I'm just experimenting with the gp resin, but using the same stuff I'm going to be using in the clear gel coat .. the resin is half the price of the clear gel, and I got a bunch of flake to play with.  I think I'm about ready to start on my boat, but we are suposed to get some rain for the next few days ... we'll see ?  I'll be finishing up the fiberglass "t" tops while the humididy is so high, don't want frosted flakes.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 12:30:15 AM »
I think ya need the rain more than the gel. hope it pours!

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
I think ya need the rain more than the gel. hope it pours!
Yes !   I hope it rains for a Week, and I'm ready for it now, I just took the boat off the trailer so I can close my garage door all the way, so  let-er-Rain !   it started raining about 5 minutes after I parked the trailer out-side, rained good for about 10 minutes and quit, but it sure looks like more coming ... Wooo Hoo !

and Jerry ... if you are gonna use the styrene thinner, be sure you wear a resperator, mask or something, thats bad stuff ya know, I don't even let that stuff get on my hands, based on what other people tell me, but it does seem to flow out better than mek or acetone.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 05:32:15 PM »
Red

You now have molds for the T tops, Winglets, Engine Cover and the Windshield, when our you going to just make a mold of the top half of the Scimitar, then guys like me could afford to buy an old CV23 and make our own Scimitar... I bet you have thought about it!!!!!

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
You know I have thought about that, but with TWO changes, make both hull and top-side, but out of carbon fiber, and a stepped 23 degree V in the hull
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »
Good Lord, he's thinking again.

Lock up the sawzall!!!

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »
Holy Cow Red!  That is a tight fit!  How did you get that off the trailer and onto the stands?
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
How did you get that off the trailer and onto the stands?

thats a shop secret Chris, but I will show you when you bring the Ship to me.
Are you back home Yet ?   or are you still up there tryin to kill an antelope with a tooth pic ?

Lock up the sawzall!!!
I just got a new box of blades for my sawzall Jerry ... and I've also been thinking 2 seater again, and Tunnel Hull, on a Scimitar
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:52:12 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 07:25:26 AM »
I think I figured out where I went wrong. When you shoot the flake it doesn't lay flat. It stands on end to give that sparkle, and goes on rough. It takes a lot of clear, because you have to sand a lot off to get it smooth. You need to thin the gel, use Hi-Gloss and 4% wax in the final coat which is like the 6th or 7th coat of clear. That's going to be like 2 gallons of clear, a quart of Duratech Hi-Gloss (40 % of final coat) and a pint of wax. Do you have all that?

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 11:37:42 AM »
Jerry, I have sprayed gel coat several times in my past, mostly white, and only twice, I think, with other colors, but this is the first time I've attempted to spray the clear with flake mixed into it, so I ain't no authority on it.
Based on the experimenting I've been doing in the last few days, I see that it does require a Lot of material, and once again, based on what I've learned, I'm going to spray on the flake mixing 12cc of the styrene thinner to the 32oz cup of resin, adding two tea spoons of the flake mix, then 10cc of the mekp, I'm expecting it will take two quarts of that mixture to cover the boat, then I have a gallon of the clear top coat gel to cover it all up, mixing it the same way, but with-out the flake, and yes, I have a pint of the surfacing agent (wax) I will be adding one ounce of that to the last coat, it only requires 4 ounces per gallon.
With that mixture, the flake does stand up some, the small flake stands up, and some of the big flake as well, but a lot of the big flake just lay's flat, it leaves a little orange peel, but not much, I could sand it smooth with one run of 3M 400 grit wet/dry and a wet rag,  I done that on the motor cover and it looks good, I didn't take the time to polish it out, but I can tell another run with the 600 and 1000 grit it will shine just fine.
I'll be able to tell ya more about This project in a couple days.  As long as I can lay it on with-out getting a big "run" down the sides of the top, I figure I'll be saisfied.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:33:57 PM by OleRed »
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2011, 12:55:20 PM »
Just a question for you two. You don't run into any issues with trash getting on your work shooting in your home workshops?  A couple friends that paint classic and muscle cars for show quality finishes were looking at your pics and couldn't believe that you weren't shooting in a booth or a room lined with plastic if no booth was available to keep the trash down.

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »
thats a shop secret Chris, but I will show you when you bring the Ship to me.
Are you back home Yet ?   or are you still up there tryin to kill an antelope with a tooth pic ?

Ya, still up chasing fur bearing critters.  I have not figured out why people complaining about being unemployed .. this is kind of nice!
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20