Author Topic: My motivation is coming back! CVZ18 Restoration  (Read 10986 times)

Offline CVZ18Fan

Re: My motivation is coming back! CVZ18 Restoration
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »
Thanks for the info. Was one thing that I was really wondering if I had an issue with.

Rich

Offline Shrom CVX-18

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
Thanks for the info. Was one thing that I was really wondering if I had an issue with.

Rich

No problem. I wonder the same thing when I made the switch myself couple years ago.
79 CVX-18 "Lowrider"

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
I see you already got your question answered but I wanted to add that Mercuiser started using the center rise manifolds in '83 and the lower profile hood was used on the CVX18 until '84. So as you already know you'll be fine. The 5.7 i am sticking in my 79 CVX has center rise manifolds also.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »
Wasn't sure what year they changed the hoods vs. the risers. Thanks for the chime in. You guys are great!

Rich

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 08:55:49 AM »
FINALLY!! Block, crank, rods and pistons are heading to the machine shop on Wednesday. Can't wait to get it put together.

Red, do you take the flywheel and balancer to the shop when you get yours balanced??

Rich

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
yes, all the rotating assy needs to be balanced together, and have the shop degree the cam in also
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2013, 07:16:34 AM »
Hey Red, my flywheel came in yesterday, 12 3/4", 153 tooth. Weighed in @ 22 3/4 lbs. Going to get a coat of paint on it today to prevent any rusting.

Does anyone have an engine coupler for a 12 3/4" flywheel laying in the corner they want to sell? If so, let me know.

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »
I am going to get the triangular coupler like Red advised but just wondering what the down falls are of the smaller crank mounted coupler are. Just curious.

Rich

Offline CVZ18Fan

My motivation is back! CVZ18 Restoration
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »
Well I did get a bit of work done on the boat this morning before it started to rain. Have the motor mount bolts all out and had the engine hoist just about in position before it start coming down. Oh well, a little progress is a little progress.

Got all the wiring disconnected from the rear and everything pulled forward. Have to get the steering disconnected and out of the way but there are a few screws on that black trim ring that don't seem to want to cooperate. If anyone has suggestions let me know. On the steering, there is a pin, when you pull that out, should the steering cable pull out of the control box? Haven't taken  one apart before.

Under the dash there were two main plugs, disconnected them but still have a bunch of wire that is connected. I will just have to do it another day when water isn't falling from the sky.

Doran, if I get the steering control out, is it possible to get the gauge panel and the wiring to all come out in one piece still connected? The wiring is a mess and seems as though it is just best to get it out, identify what is what and start over. I am replacing all the gauges anyway so I think that is my best bet. Let me know what your thoughts are on that.

Rich

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 08:58:02 AM »
The Mercruiser controls in mine also will need to be replaced. Would like to get something all in one neat unit, think I saw something recently about this. What do you guys like as a replacement?

By the way, here is the link for my original project thread over on the CGOA board. I am going to keep both threads updated as I go but there seems to be more activity on this one that the main board.
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7341

Rich

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 09:26:19 AM »
Forgot to post a few pics. The old engine is ready to lift out and go away.

Is anyone interested in the original valve covers off this motor?? The decals are in pretty good shape. Let me know.

Rich

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: My motivation is back! CVZ18 Restoration
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
Doran, if I get the steering control out, is it possible to get the gauge panel and the wiring to all come out in one piece still connected? The wiring is a mess and seems as though it is just best to get it out, identify what is what and start over. I am replacing all the gauges anyway so I think that is my best bet. Let me know what your thoughts are on that.

Rich

Yes, take the top gauge 'shade' off, and the entire dash will lift right out.  If yours is like mine you'll have to unhook wires to the switches (I labeled mine when I did so) but yep, I redid mine on my kitchen table.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:05:32 AM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
Doran, is the dash panel held in place with screws?

Didn't you have a challenge with your steering assembly removal?

Rich

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
Honestly, mine came out fine.  You'll likely have to do the 'hit the nut with a hammer' trick from Rich to knock the steering wheel loose, but otherwise, I soaked everything with PB Blaster and it all came out fine.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 04:25:30 PM »

Doran, Did yours have that same black trim ring? There are two screws there correct? Nobody answer my steering cable question. When I pull that pin/key out, should the cable come out of the controls??

Rich

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »
Yeah, just the two screws then I popped it off with a screwdriver.  Mine wasn't easy.  You'll be replacing all that anyway, so you don't have to be gentle.

If you have the original Morse controls, yes, pull the pin & key, then you have to work them through the end as they're fed through the of the controls & out.

When I did mine, I took out the entire control lever and unhooked them.  I didn't lay down and climb under there...much easier that way.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
10-4, the steering seems ok and the cables are in good shape. It does have power steering and at some point, someone replaced the throttle and shift cables too.

Rich

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2013, 10:38:40 AM »
The old motor is finally out. My lift had just enough to get it cleared over the rear of the boat. Time to get the rest of the stuff taken out of the rear so I can start removing the foam boxes and clear the old floor and stringers.

Rich