Author Topic: Around and Around We Go!  (Read 12501 times)

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
Around and Around We Go!
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
Sorry I missed the Red Wing meet this year, I wish I could have made it.

I live on a couple of small lakes chained together.  I envy the big water or river trips I hear about at times.  So, I have found this practice for entertainment. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpCSUROVxwE&feature=youtu.be

My neighbors Glastron.  Not really sure what it is, nice boat though, open bow 15' with a Johnson 90 hp (19 pitch).  We were dead  even at WOT tonight, flat water and 20' apart.  What a hoot!

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Around and Around We Go!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 10:09:09 PM »
That's a 1981 GX-150!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:36:37 PM »
Jason ...
That first picture is a calendar shot for sure !

Dave ...
Your gonna need more HP to beat your neighbor !
LOL ...
Tell him about the forum, bunch of us would love to see a GX !
I've never seen one, except pictures.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »
I could make entire calendar of this boat alone!

That GX150 looks mint as well!!!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 11:17:08 PM »
Ya, that GX 150 is a great boat.  The open bow in the front makes it more usable too.  He has visited our forum several times.  They are good people and I would like to see them participate, we will see.  That is the boat that got me interested in these classic machines.  He would zip by, so low to the water he could reach down and touch it.  I blame it all on him.  :)

As far as pictures of my boat, well it is not perfect and a long way from it in fact.  But I do know how to recognize when the illumination is in your favor.  As far as cameras, almost all my pictures are with my old Iphone 4.  The old adage of: What is the best camera?  The answer is, the one you have on you at the time. A lot of times the light is just right for such a short time and then it takes just a minute or two to snap a few shots and then see if any turn out. 

I find the evening long light to be the softest and best illumination.  That time of day you do not need filters or mess with the picture electronically after.  Simple.  Midday sunlit pictures are tough, to harsh.  Try and get the subject into the shade or better yet wait for a cloud to come over.  The colors will pop better in doing so.  Catch that unusual angle.

I'm not sure what most are using for wax but I found this product to be very good.  It literally takes about 10 minutes to wax the boat, that's it!  I have no affiliation with the product.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-EAGLE-ONE-1-WAX-AS-U-YOU-DRY-32-OZ-SPRAY-BOTTLES-2-BOTTLE-EASIEST-WAX/291213349067?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140602152332%26meid%3D8751f413223748b487cdacccd3db43cd%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140602152332%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D290942428194
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:19:17 PM by Oldfishguy »
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:58:47 AM »

I had an idea for a little video shoot last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9-DEZLGKtE

And then the same route around this small lake with a "slightly" different view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvfqqgw8KI

Used a motorcycle RAM mount to hold the phone/camera.

And then a five minute window with color appeared later.

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:21:55 AM »
Thanks for the ride Dave !
Cool the way the flake sparkles on your deck ...

Offline Maclin

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »
Pretty Cool Oldfish!  Loves me some vintage Chrysler :)
Dan
1980 Glaston SSV167 90HP Mariner
1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy VP 570/DP

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »

I had an idea for a little video shoot last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9-DEZLGKtE

And then the same route around this small lake with a "slightly" different view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvfqqgw8KI

Used a motorcycle RAM mount to hold the phone/camera.

And then a five minute window with color appeared later.

what a beautiful lake ride, cool boat and nice sounding Chrysler still doing it's thang after all these years...thanks for sharing I enjoyed it:)
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 07:33:02 AM »

what a beautiful lake ride, cool boat and nice sounding Chrysler still doing it's thang after all these years...thanks for sharing I enjoyed it:)

Ya, the motor is running great!  About 45 gallons through this summer.  The video's were shot at about 37 mph and 4300 rpm.  The boat will do 41 at 5200 rpm but I can tell the motor is straining up there.  At 4300 rpm the motor is breathing easy and seems to sing, it is the sweet spot.  I sometimes wonder if that wasn't the death of many of these old motors, running them too high, too long.
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:30:40 AM »
"  I sometimes wonder if that wasn't the death of many of these old motors, running them too high, too long. "

OH OH !

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:52:04 AM »
"  I sometimes wonder if that wasn't the death of many of these old motors, running them too high, too long. "

OH OH !

I think even with your motor, although it is old, it is still of pretty modern design.  Maybe it was the governor's that they improved over that decade.  When you take an old Johnson 115 and wind it up to the max it doesn't seem like it is straining at the edge, my Chrysler does.  Maybe it is the governors (or something else) they improved over the next decade to keep the engines from winding up too high.  ??     
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:35:17 AM »
I think the number one cause of outboard motor failure's is/was poor fuel system maintenance.
Old gas, water in gas, not draining carb's before storage, plugged jets leaning out motor.
Also forgetting to add oil to gas, or not doing it properly, over heating seems to be a popular reason on many Craigslist ad's for bad motors.

See a lot of jetski's with bad motors.
Bet most were dirty carbs that leaned out and fried motors.

Keep your system clean and your motor will out last you Dave ... LOL

Offline Maclin

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »
OldfishGuy,  where were your videos taken?

Dan
1980 Glaston SSV167 90HP Mariner
1991 HydroSwift 2200 Cuddy VP 570/DP

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »

OH OH !

I think even with your motor, although it is old, it is still of pretty modern design.  Maybe it was the governor's that they improved over that decade.  When you take an old Johnson 115 and wind it up to the max it doesn't seem like it is straining at the edge, my Chrysler does.  Maybe it is the governors (or something else) they improved over the next decade to keep the engines from winding up too high.  ??   

I stand corrected.

I had the pleasure of spending the day in a fishing boat with a loong time marine mechanic that spent the early part of his career workiing on many different brands of these old 2 stroke motors.  I asked him what made a lot of these old 2 strokes fail over the years and he said " making the engine lug around at low rpm".  This is done through a couple of means : putt, putting around in the water at a low rpm, and over propping the engine, causing a lower than desirable rpm.  The putt putting around I can understand as these old two strokes like to scream and when you do that you actually clean the the engine out..  The over propping is a bit more complex.  To get more speed we can over prop the engine but in his opinion you don't want to do to much, you want the motor to wind up to max rpm easily with very little load on the top end.

Another of his theories is the use of cheaper mixture oils should not be practiced.  His thoughts are "you get what you pay for" in this regard.  Having a mixture of 40/1, or so, is also a good idea.  Plug change outs are cheaper than engine overhauls.  He says these old motors were machined at a pretty loose tolerance and can withstand some higher temps this process.  He recommends a product called "ring free" to mix in the gas; keeps the cabon out of the rings and no build up underneath them.

Water pumps need to be constantly monitored, as always.

I asked about lean out and carb problems and he said that over lean could scorch the cyclinders but if it is running that lean chances are it runs so crappy it is in the shop.

It was a good day; a lot of fish and a lot of information.

The videos should be up, I tried to make them better but apparently it disconnected them for a bit.  Technology is two steps forward and one step back for me most days.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:05:53 AM by Oldfishguy »
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline buckz6319

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »

OH OH !

I stand corrected.

I had the pleasure of spending the day in a fishing boat with a loong time marine mechanic that spent the early part of his career working on these 2 stroke motors.  I asked him what made a lot of these old 2 strokes fail over the years and he said " making the engine lug around at low rpm".  This is done through a couple of means : putt, putting around in the water at a low rpm, and over propping the engine, causing a lower than desirable rpm.  The putt putting around I can understand as these old two strokes like to scream.  The over propping is a bit more complex.  To get more speed we can over prop the engine but in his opinion you don't want to do to much, you want the motor to wind up to max rpm easily with very little load on the top end.

Another of his theries is the use of cheaper mixture oils should not be practiced.  His thoughts are "you get what you pay for" in this regard.  Having a mixture of 40/1, or so, is also a good idea.  Plug change outs are cheaper than engine overhauls.  He says these old motors were machined at a pretty loose tolerance and can withstand some higher temps this process.  He recommends a product called "ring free" to mix in the gas; keeps the cabon out of the rings and no build up underneath them.

Water pumps need to be constantly monitored, as always.

I asked about lean out and carb problems and he said that over lean could scorch the cyclinders but if it is running that lean chances are it runs so crappy it is in the shop.

It was a good day; a lot of fish and a lot of information.

The videos should be up, I tried to make them better but apparently it disconnected them for a bit.  Technology is two steps forward and one step back for me most days.
I have always likes those old Chryslers, and thought they were tough engines with a bad rap, kinda like a 1973 AMC Gremlin I use to have. It had it's share of problems..but that Blue 304 V8 4 speed made them all go away:)...and blew away a few too Lol

looking forward to the videos, and thanks for the info
Please feel free to check out my new Forum

http://hookedonboatingforum.proboards.com/

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 07:54:24 AM »
Always use good oil like Mercury Premium Plus  or  Evinrude XD 50, Yamaha and Amsoil would be good also.
I put Startron in my fuel, because it could sit for weeks between use ....
  http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron?gclid=CNSL7oGi7cACFRMLMgod-jcAkg

Always let your motor warm up before giving it full throttle.

Squirt  "Deep Creep" (Seafoam in a spray can) into cylinders at the end of season or start of season, heck middle of the season if ya like ... Gets rid of some of the carbon deposits on pistons and around ring lands, plus cleans out exhaust system.
BIG plus is the HUGE white cloud of smoke coming from your motor after starting with deep creep ... LOL

Running the right prop is a very good idea, keeps your motor in it recommend RPM range.
Having two props is also a good idea, one for speed and one for pulling skiers/tubers.

Replace all old or leaky fuel hoses in your fuel system with the newer ethanol resistance hoses.
If hoses/fuel lines look OK, wipe them down to remove any fuel / oil / dirt, run motor out on the lake or on water muffs.
Check to see if any of the hoses are wet with fuel, if so replace it, it's most likely bad or going bad.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
All good advice.

David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
"1973 AMC Gremlin I use to have. It had it's share of problems..but that Blue 304 V8 4 speed"
loved those things...
went to HS with a dude that had a 401 in one of them "WOW"
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Jerry

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
I had a neighbor with a 427 in one.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie