Author Topic: max HP for gt  (Read 13831 times)

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
Re: max HP for gt
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 07:18:06 AM »
There are no coast guard restrictions on boats over 20 feet, which is why Allison boats are just over 20 feet long. The boat may weigh 900 pounds with a 280+ horsepower Mercury on the transom. Allison warns against putting motors over a certain number of pounds on the back because of the weight distribution causing handling problems.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:20 AM »
I had the 115 on the back of my GT, labeled as the 115.  Never had an issue.  There were a few months that I was out 4 days a week in the evenings.  Sometimes WOT, sometimes just putzing along.  I've been stopped and taken off the lake for expired tags, never questioned about the motor/hull combination.  I remember asking when I got the registration the first time and was told that I could remove the rating plate and put O.R. on the boat in its place - for Owner Responsible.  My boat didn't have a plate to begin with, thanks to the P.O.  The thing sure was a** heavy, though.  Joe's sits on the water much more nicely than mine did.  Not sure what the weight difference is between his Johnson and my 1150 Mercury.  I know I kept 12 gallons, the battery and the trim pump in the back.  There was a huge difference in ride when I put some weight up front.

The Iowa 'OR' vs. Rating Plate is for the number of passengers/total weight in the boat...it does nothing for the rated engine size for your boat Dan, and cannot be removed or altered by an owner.

"Most vessels have a U.S. Coast Guard or manufacturer's plate that shows capacity in number of persons (see Vessel Capacity). This is the capacity number that must be on the Registration Certificate and displayed on the right side of the vessel. If a vessel does not have a capacity plate, the capacity of the vessel is the “operator’s responsibility” and the letters OR must be on the Registration Certificate and displayed on the vessel instead of a capacity number.

The displayed capacity number (or OR) must be the same size as the registration number on the bow.

It is illegal to deface, destroy, remove, or alter a vessel’s capacity plate."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:08:00 AM by dorelse »
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:30 PM »
That's about what I remember when looking it up.  Of course, I had never owned a boat in Iowa until I went to register that 150. 

I suppose you shouldn't take the word of those working in the registration office as if they know what they're talking about ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »
Mark (CatchaEdge) has a 80 HP (4 cyl. maybe late 70's) Mercury with out T & T on his GT and is getting upper 40's with a two blade bronze prop.
MarkS was pushing mid 50's with a 115 HP OMC.
Joe is in low to mid 50's with a 115 HP OMC.

I believe all three motors were older power head rated.
A newer 90 HP motor with a prop rating should get you high 40's to low 50's and still be legal.
An OMC GT100 would be legal  ...

Offline bellj

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »
Just out of shear personal curiosity on my part, how would an OMC GT100 be considered "legal" on a boat rated for 90HP? (please keep in mind that I know zilch about the GT100, so I'm just assuming it's 100HP, plus maybe you were joking and I simply missed it, and only considering the "legal" part (even if it's only "head" HP), not whether it should actually be run on a GT)   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »
Guess I should have said ... " a GT100 would be legal in MN. " ...
I can't remember where Tim lives, or if his state has the 15 percent rule ?

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 06:12:07 PM »
Nebraska, I have never seen a law on that
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
Ask a local boat dealer ...

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »
Ask a local boat dealer ...

I will do that when I pick up my trim cylinder kits.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline bellj

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 06:57:54 PM »
Sorry, I forgot about that 15 percent rule that was mentioned before. I wonder if that really is considered "legal" (and in more states than MN) so that a person can't get fined, or if that's just what certain insurance companies are willing to overlook (in certain areas?).

I guess it always boils down usually to what the local officials are willing to overlook sometimes anyway - sometimes based on local history (if some have gotten hurt or caused a lot of disturbance in the past sometimes) - and sometimes even with an officials mood I suspect. I've seen that with snowmobiling too over the years...and even just vehicle driving in some places too. My father used to say that once they get your number for some reason, they always seem to be on a lookout for you, and there are plenty of laws that can be used if wanted (unattended driving, etc.).   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
I was told by Al, mechanic at Tanners lake sport center that they (boat dealer) could legally mount a motor 15 percent larger then rating.
That was about 5 years ago, I was thinking about putting a newer / larger motor on my V-156.
What a dealer can mount and what a DNR officer thinks ... might be two different things ...

Offline Jerry

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 07:20:55 PM »
you need new decals, not a smaller motor.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline V153

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 07:53:32 PM »
I sense an aura of paranoia. And I don't like it.

My boat's rated for 80. And I ain't the least bit concerned puttin a 88 on it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGHbbc8jHM

I dunno. Just seems like y'all are hung up on this "legality" thing. When there's really no need to go blabbin to the insurance co in the first place ...

Regardless. Round here 99.999% of boating accidents are attributed to something other than somebody having "excessive, illegal HP". I ain't never seen it mentioned?

'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline V153

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
For what it's worth I'd love to have a sound GT 150 to hang this motor on. Weighs the same as a 90 and that extra HP's like money in the bank. Ain't gotta spend it all at once.
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Jerry

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 12:49:06 AM »
It's just the wrong boat for big horsepower.  (without modification)
Stay tuned.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
Staying tuned.........I really like that boat and the mods.   I wonder if it is "illegal" to overpower......ticket was for unsafe watercraft.... unsafe is kind of a grey area?  Interesting .....My MX15 weighs 495 pounds and rated for 150 from the factory........by 1974 the same boat was 615 lbs and rated for 95 hp?
 so I have 1971 Technology @ under 500 pounds legal with a V6......Safe?

Offline bellj

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 09:34:04 AM »
It's not so much of being "hung up" or "paranoid" as much as a local history (in my case) of historically seeing people getting "the book" thrown at them - and different "decals" unfortunately means nothing if the officials are diligent enough in their "quest" to check the motor part serial numbers to match those HP ratings (maybe they're too busy putting that forensic kind of energy into computer searches now-a-days, that I wouldn't know). Most of you are from areas where the "officials" probably have bigger things to worry about and overpowering is never an issue or concern as long as you're fairly "safe", or at least somewhat non-reckless about it.   ;)

I remember a local person (I didn't know him personally, but I know his name (his parents live just around the corner from us now), and I certainly got passed a lot by him while out in my old GT), anyway, he had a VERY fast tunnel hull (two mercury 200 BlackMaxs on the back. It was said that he could make it from Halder bridge to Moon bridge near us in under 7 minutes (and from what I witnessed on many occasions, I believe it). Obviously he was pushing the limits and "causing a disturbance" in some people's opinions (sometimes those "opinions" were probably just because he had really nice women on board all the time), but he challenged a lot of people to races too. So even though his boat was perfectly legal in all requirements for that model and engines, our local DNR eventually banned him from this flowage and insisted that he run bigger water such as over near Door County.

Of course we could argue entirely separately of the legalities on whether overpowering is safe on certain models (like the GT150) - sometimes it comes down to operation and sometimes design (and sometimes just blind luck). We've all seen (luckily rare) examples of even just steering linkages breaking under the strain and causing violent rollovers - throw in more power and chine walk, and it really does boil down to a certain percentage of skill over luck (and some of you who have "racing" in your blood maybe live for that sort of thing). Of course, sometimes it doesn't matter the size of boat...I've always heard reports (never was able to confirm if it was actually ours or not yet) that the 20' jet we beefed up with rebuilding everything for the ultimate performance (and the boat itself seemed pretty heavily built and able to take a lot) split in two and sunk during an impromptu race in southern WI a few years after it left the central WI area.   :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:09:10 AM by bellj »
Jim, Patti, & Samantha

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2015, 09:45:35 AM »