Author Topic: Restoring a CVX17 // Another Gel Coat Issue  (Read 2352 times)

Offline TheDigger

• Native Ground Media
Restoring a CVX17 // Another Gel Coat Issue
« on: February 01, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »
Hello Glastron Family,

I am brand new to this forum. I recently became the happy owner of a 1983 Glastron Carlson CVX-17 with a Johnson 140. I've been repairing and replacing parts for the last few months and now I'm starting to look at the gel coat. There are no cracks on the bottom of the hull. Instead, it looks like a cat had its way with the bow and gunwales. I can feel the ones on the bow with my fingernail; the ones on the gunwales I can feel with my fingertips and I have to believe those ones are stress-related. I have been consulted to wet sand and buff these out. I have also been consulted to not wet sand but instead, find a place that can apply a layer of gel coat and be happy that the boat looks good from afar. Some of these cracks look very deep and my concern with wet sanding is the possibility of hitting the metal flake, as I have seen this happen to CV16SS.

Any suggestions are appreciated. It's nice to meet everyone.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:49:07 PM by TheDigger »

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
Re: Restoring a CVX17 // Another Gel Coat Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Brady.

Those stress cracks on the gunwales look all to familiar.  I do not believe there is a way to sand and buff them out.  They are completely thru the clear gel.  Might have to live with it until your ready to do a total restoration. I ended up using a router to remove all the cracks then I put layers of csm to build it back up then added layers underneath.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 09:32:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum Brady !
Beautiful CVX .. Cool reversed swoosh !

Would you share your HIN ?   Right side of stern under rub rail ... I have a list without any personal info.

But I think Jeff is right about having to grind them out to do the repair.
I have some scratches (your second picture) in my deck that look just like yours. Not sure how they got there, but look more like scratches then cracks in flake/gel.

My boat came with a ski tow bar mounted .. with holes in deck/gunwales for support. One side had very bad cracks around hole and thickness of glass there is half the thickness of the other side. Guessing your might be the same and that was a spot that old owner steeped on getting in and out of boat over years. Spending time in the sun for years could also have something to do with cracking.

My boat looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor ... from 20 feet away .. so feel your pain ..

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 09:51:46 PM »
Ski bar support
Cracks around support hole
Scratches on my deck

Offline TheDigger

• Native Ground Media
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 09:57:28 PM »

Those stress cracks on the gunwales look all to familiar.  I do not believe there is a way to sand and buff them out.  They are completely thru the clear gel.  Might have to live with it until your ready to do a total restoration. I ended up using a router to remove all the cracks then I put layers of csm to build it back up then added layers underneath.

Thanks carlsoncvx18. I'll be riding this out until it's time for a full restore.

Offline TheDigger

• Native Ground Media
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 10:39:37 PM »
Ski bar support
Cracks around support hole
Scratches on my deck

Thanks for the info!

Offline Buckey

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
It interesting that the weather checking occurs on some but not others.  The entire top of my boat is weathered to a point where the surface is rough, but no cracking anywhere. 

So when it comes time to restore that surface, what would be the best approach for the Digger.
- Sand part way down into the Gel and re-Gel?
- Sand part way down into the Gel and do a base/clear/buff?

How far down would one need to sand into the cracked gel, part way or all the way down to the glass?

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 07:06:50 PM »
That thing looks pretty damn good for its age. I would be afraid of really messing it up unless you're going to totally re-do it, but thats me.
My CVX17 does not have those stress cracks on the gunwales but they're all different. The small ones could be wet sanded, I would think but its hard to tell.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline TheDigger

• Native Ground Media
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 07:26:19 PM »
Thanks Rosscoe,

I agree with you, she’s in pretty good condition for her age. The inside paint looks brand new. Floors are soft in some areas and the upholstery will need to be replaced next year. Just going to have fun for now.

Side note: did your CVX17 have a single rear swim step? If so can you share a pic? Mine did but all that’s left is a mounting bracket and a hole. I’d like to find one that is as original as what came with it - but I don’t know what that looks like.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
Pictures of CVX / Metric ladders ..
Click link below for more pictures
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3191.msg36999#msg36999

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »
Buckey ..

Picture Jeff posted are of corners of rear seat on a Timmi, almost all Timmi's have cracks there because of weak / bad design.
Jeff & Tim added support (wood / glass) around area, and ground cracks down to glass.

A Google or Youtube search should find ways to grind out gel cracks.

If your waxing, buffing or wet sanding and flakes are coming off ... your top layer of clear gel is gone.
Prepping a boat for new gel or paint should be about the same.

I think Shawn talks about prepping and painting a boat.
Link ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3740.0

Offline Buckey

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2021, 09:09:00 PM »
Buckey ..

Picture Jeff posted are of corners of rear seat on a Timmi, almost all Timmi's have cracks there because of weak / bad design.
Jeff & Tim added support (wood / glass) around area, and ground cracks down to glass.

A Google or Youtube search should find ways to grind out gel cracks.

If your waxing, buffing or wet sanding and flakes are coming off ... your top layer of clear gel is gone.
Prepping a boat for new gel or paint should be about the same.

I think Shawn talks about prepping and painting a boat.
Link ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3740.0

Thanks for the link.  I was just curious about the fix for something like that.  I did do some research on grinding out cracks as I have a couple on my hull that I may clean up.  My hull is white so it should be fairly easy to fill/re-gel.  A boat that covered in cracks that has that colored/flaked gel would pretty much need a full restore as you guys mentioned (or just have fun with it as is :) cause its an awesome boat).

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 07:39:16 AM »
Buckey your getting the picture.  Yes solid color pretty easy fix other than getting a color match. Just have fun until your ready for a total restoration.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck