Author Topic: Bottom Paint  (Read 1797 times)

Offline wpstarling

Bottom Paint
« on: March 26, 2021, 10:28:33 AM »
What does everyone use when painting the bottom of the boat?  Found a bunch of posts where people painted but didn't see a list of the recommendations.  Boat is only in water when we're using it, otherwise it's on the trailer with carpeted bunks. 

Thanks,
Bill
1972 Glastron-Carlson CV16

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Bottom Paint
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
Bottom paint is only needed on boats that sit in water all summer.
There would be no need if you remove boat every night or it just sits in water for a day or two.
It has stuff in it to keep algae and other stuff from building up on your hull.

Why do boats require bottom paint? (scroll down) ...
https://www.westmarine.com/bottom-paint

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 10:42:48 AM »
I should clarify, the bottom of the boat had areas that needed to be sanded/repaired so now I need paint.  I got Interlux VC performance epoxy, it is NOT antifouling but is supposed to be hard and relatively easy to spray.  I'm going to try to spray it this weekend so i'll try to grab pics of before and after of it.  Only downside is if you want a color other than white since it comes only in white.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 08:54:33 AM »
I used that product on my Timi project over interprotect 2000  due to issues with osmotic blisters.   The epoxy finish will work well, and it can be rolled, tipped, or sprayed with excellent results.   Wear good ppe, a good respirator is mandatory.   If you want it smooth, prepare to wet sand the next day while it's still a bit soft.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
I used that product on my Timi project over interprotect 2000  due to issues with osmotic blisters.   The epoxy finish will work well, and it can be rolled, tipped, or sprayed with excellent results.   Wear good ppe, a good respirator is mandatory.   If you want it smooth, prepare to wet sand the next day while it's still a bit soft.

Good to know.  I've got a full suit and a face mask with fresh air supply :) so i should be good.  I'm prepping the few spots right now that looked like the boat dinged something.  Should be able to do it this weekend.