Author Topic: 1981 cvz-18  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Nicksundby

1981 cvz-18
« on: May 01, 2021, 01:00:48 AM »
New to this forum and new to owning a glastron. I have a stock engine 305 in my 1981 glastron cvz-18. Does anyone have any recommendations on putting thru hull exhaust or where to go about it to order parts and what not. Thanks nick

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: 1981 cvz-18
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 07:38:01 AM »
There are a host of options available depending on what you intend to spend and your desired outcome.   Your 898, assuming stock configuration uses log type exhaust manifolds with downturn joints to a Y-pipe, that bolts to the transom plate and exhaust exits through the prop.   Several advantages to thru hull is a slight power gain from free flowing exhaust, reduced drive temps, better sound, and possibly less weight.    You could opt for a system called captains call which allow you from the helm to select thru prop or thru hull.   Handy around the docks.  Others have opted for placing the transom exhaust ports below the top of the drive.  This allows the exhaust to be under water untill you go on plane.  This is how my CVZ is configured.    New center rise manifolds will allow greater flexibility to where your tips can be placed over the current logs.   Another consideration is the Y pipe, unless converting to captains call with center rise manifolds, this pipe will be removed, and a cover plate bolted on.   I've been told this can be accomplished with the engine in place, I'd like to see it done.      Swapping exhaust manifolds is also much easier with engine out.   One thing to mention, the CVZ is nearly identical to the CVX's of the period, so don't get dismayed if you can't find one for a CVZ only.    I hope you find the transom solid and dry when the time comes to install your new exhaust, projects like this seem to uncover the hidden gems in the bilge/transom area.     
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Nicksundby

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 10:16:55 AM »
Ok thank you.  Captains call is what I was looking at doing. I don’t know if it’s possible to do with the stock exhaust manifolds or if there is a better exhaust manifold to run. I was looking at the corsa exhaust kits but like I said I really have no idea which way to go about it.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »
Welcome to the forum Nicksundby !
Please post some pictures of your CVZ.

As Mike said .. the CVZ is the same as the CVX for engine / drive / layout.
Look here for more info.

CVX 18 / CV23 THRU HULL EXHAUST ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3737.0

This section of forum has info on most of the questions most people have ..

Vendor and Repair Resources
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?board=7.0

Offline Nicksundby

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 03:07:06 PM »
Right on thanks guys. I’m in the Pacific Northwest right across the river from
Portland and I just happened to stumble across this site so I hope it’s all good. Like I mentioned before very new to forums and to owning a glastron. Been on the water my whole life but on my parents boats. Haha so finally broke away and wanted something different and not seen at the port every Saturday.