Author Topic: 1973 Glastron Carlson CV-16 Restoration  (Read 5909 times)

Offline CamCobalt

1973 Glastron Carlson CV-16 Restoration
« on: May 02, 2021, 10:33:32 PM »
Hey all! I recently bought a 1973 CV-16 for a restoration. This is my first boat restoration and came across this forum while trying to find some advice. You all are the most knowledgeable out of all the forums I checked (and rightly so) and this is dedicated to Glastrons and Carlsons.

I have looked through quite a few postings, and they have answered a bit of my questions but I thought I would start my own thread to keep track of the progress and also the help I desperately need haha!

If at anytime I'm asking a question someone has already answered somewhere else and I just missed it please point me in the right direction! I'm still learning of course.

Offline CamCobalt

Re: 1973 Glastron Carlson CV-16 Restoration
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:45:51 PM »
Attached are some pictures of the boat through a google album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3363Mpb24mcLpFB9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/J3363Mpb24mcLpFB9

My current questions reside in the structural integrity of the current boat before restorations as well as identification.
1) I previously thought there were 3 stringers but after going through other posts I now know there is only this one in the center. Mine is still glassed in as you can see, however would anyone recommend doing a core sample to make sure it is not rotted? The plywood flooring underneath the fiberglass was rotted in 3 places, and wet everywhere.

2) there is no HIN on the boat whatsoever. Not on the rear transom or under the steering, I am planning on calling the Louisiana wildlife department (it was registered there in 2010) and seeing if they can provide its HIN, year, or something like that.

3) The transom was reinforced while it was in Louisiana. A marina called Charlies with the project name of Transom Tufner. It seems solid as far as all of my exterior tests have shown. However, once again, would anyone suggest doing a core sample from the interior on the transom as well? and if so, there is a metal plate (the reinforcement) so if I did one to the side would it still yield viable results?

4) Would you suggest I remove ALL fiberglass flooring of the boat? Specifically the lip sections on the sides? I am unconfident in my glassing abilities and this worries me, I believe it would be a lot easier to simply do the rectangular 8-foot-something center piece.

5) I am also unsure about the box of the boat. A previous owner put in an aluminum gas tank. Do the stringers run all the way up past the windshield area? Would the fiberglass on that part need to be replaced as well?

Any help or direction I would greatly appreciate!

Best,
Cam

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 11:08:28 PM »
Welcome!  Ask any question you want...there aren't the FB know-it-all's here.  We've all done the build threads...its great and so much easier to track than on FB Groups.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 06:33:32 AM »
Welcome Cam, nice looking project.
I would definitely suggest taking samples of the stringer and the transom, looking at the condition of the floor unfortunately I think you’ll find them to be wet and soft. Taking a sample of the transom to the side or below of the plate will probably be sufficient. On the floor, I would definitely take the floor out all the way out to the edges where it sets into the strakes and grind out the fiberglass it was originally holding it in. The floor and the stringer do go past the windshield, if they are solid up there it’s OK to splice the floor, I would not splice the stringer unless it’s absolutely necessary. The fiberglass work is fairly straightforward it’s just a matter of using the right materials and making sure you grind all the old stuff out and prep the surface before applying.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 07:26:17 AM »

Welcome!

Here is a short synopsis of what I did.  Almost every boat from our vintage has a weak floor and transom if still original.  The fiberglass and resin work is actually pretty easy, the prep work is what takes time.  Id suggest to just start tearing out the floor and the stringer and replace it.  You will see from my rebuild I spliced in just in front of where your feet sit as a driver.  You really do not know what you have until you dig in to it.  With the transom, is that metal plate permanently mounted?  If not, remove it and see what you have.  If it is permanently mounted just poke around it with a screw driver looking for soft spots.  Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.0
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 08:22:34 AM »
Welcome Cam, nice looking project.
I would definitely suggest taking samples of the stringer and the transom, looking at the condition of the floor unfortunately I think you’ll find them to be wet and soft. Taking a sample of the transom to the side or below of the plate will probably be sufficient. On the floor, I would definitely take the floor out all the way out to the edges where it sets into the strakes and grind out the fiberglass it was originally holding it in. The floor and the stringer do go past the windshield, if they are solid up there it’s OK to splice the floor, I would not splice the stringer unless it’s absolutely necessary. The fiberglass work is fairly straightforward it’s just a matter of using the right materials and making sure you grind all the old stuff out and prep the surface before applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Joe.
For the transom core sample would it be okay if I ran it through the inside of the boat?
You are correct, the floor is being removed it's all sorts of nasty, as far as your comment of taking it out to the strakes...Are you talking about grinding the fiberglass ontop? or the fiberglass section that the transom sits on as well?

I'm really just confused about the sections of fiberglass, as I understand it it goes:
Carpet, fiberglass, plywood, then the hull fiberglass from top to bottom, however everyone says the grinding is always itchy but I haven't figured out what section they are grinding haha
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:26:32 AM by CamCobalt »

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 08:26:07 AM »
Welcome!

Here is a short synopsis of what I did.  Almost every boat from our vintage has a weak floor and transom if still original.  The fiberglass and resin work is actually pretty easy, the prep work is what takes time.  Id suggest to just start tearing out the floor and the stringer and replace it.  You will see from my rebuild I spliced in just in front of where your feet sit as a driver.  You really do not know what you have until you dig in to it.  With the transom, is that metal plate permanently mounted?  If not, remove it and see what you have.  If it is permanently mounted just poke around it with a screw driver looking for soft spots.  Only you can decide what you are comfortable with.

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.0

Thank you David!

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to remove the 150HP outboard at this time. It's too heavy for what I can lift it with or put it on, which is the reason why I haven't removed the metal plate yet. I was thinking about doing what Joe said with the core sample to the side and if it is rotted - figuring out a way to remove the motor and replace all of that.

I was also wondering, on your floor rebuild, does the plywood go all the way up on top of the strakes? Or is that simply just fiberglass on those lips?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 01:43:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum CamCobalt !

It's hard to tell what color it "was" from pictures you posted, but looks like it might have been apricot, which would make it a 1973 model.
The 1974 CV16 would have had a different deck design.
If you look around behind dash / steering wheel area, there could be a tag (piece of paper) glassed into the board that runs across area, that has serial number &  year built. (picture #1 & #2)
If your title / registration is 1973 you should be good and changing it could be a can of worms ...

The two short boards that make your bilge bowl were drilled to drain, but were not sealed so are rotted, plus were not at lowest point so water pooled there. (picture #3)
You can drill some small holes along your stringer and check wood shavings for moisture, mine was glassed well and still dry.
If your going to run a 150 HP motor, I would replace transom even it's dry and strong, as it only two half inch sheets of ply screwed together and likely has soft spots where stuff was through bolted or screwed. I did mine transom in wood ( two 3/4 inch bonded together) but wished I used composite, but composites were new back when I did repairs to mine.

Read as much as you can about fiberglass and how to do it .. Get your glass and resin from a fiberglass supply company .. NOT Home Depot .. LOL
This guy has some good videos ..
 https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=friscoboater

My CV16 bebuild ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=4062.0

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 11:11:44 PM »
Thank you so much Greg! I will definitely check that spot again once I am back from finals.

I will definitely go through a fiberglass supply company, would you suggest 1088 cloth? It seems like that is what is used the most popular. With that, do you think Menard's marine grade plywood would be good for the deck? I am having trouble finding places that supply marine grade.

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 11:49:09 PM »
To add to that, could someone sort of breakdown the fiberglassing process for me?

I am a complete new guy haha!

From what I can gather this is my current agenda:
(If anything seems to be out of order or you have any advice I greatly appreciate it!!!)

1) I did drill some holes into the stringer, they came out fine therefore I will not be replacing it but will fill my holes with epoxy and fiberglass those sections
2) I will drill holes and do some core samples of the transom
3) Remove all the fiberglass and plywood underneath of the rectangular floor area (not the strakes)
       once that is out I will check the flooring under the bow and gas tank (so far it looks fine)
       and if I come across a section where the plywood floor is strong and not wet I will stop there with the deconstruction of the floor and bind the new piece of plywood to the old (there were only wet and weak spots where the 4 seats were attached)
4) Cut marine grade plywood and insert into rectangular portion of boat
5) Seal the new marine grade plywood floor
6) Cut bulkheads to attach to the top of stringer (for extra support) (w/ holes for water to run down that are sealed)
7) seal new floor in with hull and existing fiberglass on strakes with new fiberglass - keeping the depth consistent
8) Paint the floor with marine paint non-skid mixed with sand
9) sand down the exterior gelcoat and repaint with polyurethane paint
10) install seats and electronics

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 01:03:25 PM »
Marine ply from Menard's is fine .. I think that's where I got mine.
Remember to coat both sides with resin, before installing floor.

I talked with our local fiberglass supply company about what to use for repairs and they gave me everything I needed.
It was about 10 years ago and don't remember details ..
But they are very helpful and ship if your not close.

Express Composites
https://www.expresscomposites.com/

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 11:28:10 AM »
Gregg,

So you apply the same resin you use for the fiberglass cloth to both sides of the marine grade ply before installing? And then coating the fiberglass cloth after installing?

Also, you do put on a top-layer of fiberglass (cloth) over the plywood deck right?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 12:35:46 PM »
I used polyester resin and styrene to coat bottom of floor plywood. (thinned down with a 90% polyester / 10% styrene mixture)
Also used it to coat seat base boxes.
You wouldn't need to coat top of floor as it will / should be covered with fiberglass mat and tabbed at edges.

https://www.expresscomposites.com/cor60-239-034-ortho-resin-5-gallon-pail

https://www.expresscomposites.com/styrene-monomer

This was years ago .. I think vinylester resin would be a better option now. ( might be out of stock at Express )

https://www.expresscomposites.com/products/polyester-vinylester-resin
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 12:39:01 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 01:47:18 PM »
Thank you Gregg. That information definitely helps out a lot!

So i coat with that and then fiberglass the top, more of my questions after reading through other peoples threads remain.

1) My stringer (single stringer) is in good shape. I am not replacing it and am wondering why people completely grind down all the fiberglass on the hull. I was not planning on doing this but I don't exactly know why people do this.

2) I am planning on binding my plywood with 1708 fiberglass and then I believe using 1.5 chopstrand ontop so that I will be able to paint the fiberglass for my deck (Im not planning on installing carpet or anything)

3) I assume the resin used to coat the plywood is very different than the resin used to harden the fiberglass correct?

4) I am planning on (after the deck is re-fiberglassed) drilling some holes and filling the hull with foam - I don't know what type of foam or anything to use and there's so many different opinions on whether it's needed or not

5) I am also clueless on the exterior of the boat. I was going to sand it down to the paint (remove the gelcoat). Then do I simply repaint it like this?

6) When painting the deck...It is possible to paint the rough fiberglass if sanding and then priming it? Or is the 1.5 chopstrand required to give it a better look?

Also, Gregg, If you would be willing to chat on the phone or facetime sometime this week I would greatly appreciate it. I know that's a tall order and probably strange thing to ask but I'm starting to feel like I'm in over my head. But once I get my bearings and know the details, my research would start to prove useful...i just don't know the basics haha!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 02:47:53 PM »
#1   You would only need to grind out areas that you remove old wood, if your keeping your stringer, you wouldn't need to grind around it. You would have to grind old resin where floor wood meets hull. Red line in picture #1 ..

#2  I don't remember where you live, but I just went to Express Composite and told them what I was doing and they got me everything I needed.
It was about 10 years ago and don't remember exact detail of which glass I used.
I didn't count on resin to seal seat boxes and side panels some had to go back for more resin.

#3  There are three kinds of resin ..
Polyester .. Oldest resin, your boat was made with it
Vinylester .. Newest form of ployester resin (kind of) better then ployester.
Epoxy .. strongest but pretty expensive and no nasty smells.

You would use which ever resin you chose to do everything .. I thinned down my resin to do seat boxes and side panels so it would soak in and wasn't used for strength, just to seal from water.

#4  I didn't foam my hull, others have .. maybe others could add info on subject.

#5  Some on forum have painted and others have re gelled there boats  ..  I am clueless on this subject also ..
Some reading material ..

Glastron Carlson CV-23 Rebuild Top to Bottom
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3740.0

1984 intimidator restoration (new gel / flake)
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=8136.0

Sure .. PM me your phone number ..

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2021, 05:38:45 PM »
Definitely a lot of choices to make.  I quickly read through the thread, you stated you were leaving the center stringer, have you drilled into to check?  It is amazing how they can look good, but be rotten.   Same goes for transoms, can look great, but be blackened mush 6" from the bottom.   Have you considered a composite rebuild rather than wood?    The process of using resin cut with acetone on new wood is twofold, one it sinks in to help resist water intrusion, and second, it provides some bite for future glasswork to bond to it.    I suppose the question to ask is what is the goal here?  Keep boat forever as it a family keepsake?   Rebuild for function and have fun for a few years then upgrade to bigger/faster?  As for flotation foam, there are several schools of thought.  The new stuff doesn't absorb water like the old.   Use 2lb density foam if going that way.   I like it under the floor as it quiets the wave noise on the hull.   Most boats have enough foam in the sides and under hood to keep the craft on the surface when flooded, a positive safety point, verify on your boat.   Just having displacement foam under floor will not keep your boat on the surface.     You mentioned "itchy" from glass work, particularly tear out.  I wear jeans, hoodie, and a good respirator and don't have any issues.   If unsure, wear a good tyvek suit or equivalent.    Best of luck.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 07:52:38 PM »
#1   You would only need to grind out areas that you remove old wood, if your keeping your stringer, you wouldn't need to grind around it. You would have to grind old resin where floor wood meets hull. Red line in picture #1 ..

#2  I don't remember where you live, but I just went to Express Composite and told them what I was doing and they got me everything I needed.
It was about 10 years ago and don't remember exact detail of which glass I used.
I didn't count on resin to seal seat boxes and side panels some had to go back for more resin.

#3  There are three kinds of resin ..
Polyester .. Oldest resin, your boat was made with it
Vinylester .. Newest form of ployester resin (kind of) better then ployester.
Epoxy .. strongest but pretty expensive and no nasty smells.

You would use which ever resin you chose to do everything .. I thinned down my resin to do seat boxes and side panels so it would soak in and wasn't used for strength, just to seal from water.

#4  I didn't foam my hull, others have .. maybe others could add info on subject.

#5  Some on forum have painted and others have re gelled there boats  ..  I am clueless on this subject also ..
Some reading material ..

Glastron Carlson CV-23 Rebuild Top to Bottom
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3740.0

1984 intimidator restoration (new gel / flake)
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=8136.0

Sure .. PM me your phone number ..

So if you have to grind where the resin binds the floor to the hull, I would be removing the fiberglass from the strakes as well and re-fiberglassing those when I do the new floor? And that resin used to bind the plywood is also used to coat the plywood and let it soak in correct?

Unfortunately I live in southern Indiana and don’t have any marinas near me (I really really wish I did) so I’m sorry for all the questions but you all are my source (& YouTube) for the knowledge to do this haha!

Thank you for the reading material, I will take a look

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 08:27:54 PM »
So if you have to grind where the resin binds the floor to the hull, I would be removing the fiberglass from the strakes as well and re-fiberglassing those when I do the new floor? And that resin used to bind the plywood is also used to coat the plywood and let it soak in correct?

Unfortunately I live in southern Indiana and don’t have any marinas near me (I really really wish I did) so I’m sorry for all the questions but you all are my source (& YouTube) for the knowledge to do this haha!

Thank you for the reading material, I will take a look

Hello and welcome from Indianapolis! Where do you live? We traveled south to boat on the Ohio River last year several times, and plan to continue this year. There’s a business here in Indy, does production fiberglass work, that I purchased all of my fiberglass supplies from. If you’re interested in using him, I’ll get his contact info. Thing of it is, you call him one day and he gets things together the next day and you’d have to pick up the supplies. If you do decide to foam anything, I have 2 gallons of 2lb foam I’d be willing to sell. 

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 08:32:41 PM »
Hello and welcome from Indianapolis! Where do you live? We traveled south to boat on the Ohio River last year several times, and plan to continue this year. There’s a business here in Indy, does production fiberglass work, that I purchased all of my fiberglass supplies from. If you’re interested in using him, I’ll get his contact info. Thing of it is, you call him one day and he gets things together the next day and you’d have to pick up the supplies. If you do decide to foam anything, I have 2 gallons of 2lb foam I’d be willing to sell.

I would love his contact information, if just for a quote or resource on best places to buy near me. I am deciding to go with polyester resin (unsure the amount but between 1-2 gallons) and 10 yards of 50" 1708 biaxial fiberglass cloth and also planning on foaming.

Please PM me, i would love to chat about might just buy that extra foam from you if you aren't planning on using it XD

Offline CamCobalt

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
Okay sorry ya'll, i've been figuring out which materials to order and from where... do you all think these would work well?:

I've already ordered this non-skid deck paint as well as a 3M respirator and other safety equipment.
https://www.totalboat.com/product/totaltread/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7diEBhB-EiwAskVi11f0V5u2I0KqyrFkJoVwYYepUyzJEuWdmpCQNkzzBXvO8uQb2maupRoCNE0QAvD_BwE

I am between these two fiberglass companies:
http://fiberglasssite.com/biaxial-mat-1708-5-yards-x-50/
https://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/Fiberglass-Biaxial-cloth-1708-x-50.html

and these resins (with hardener of course but I haven't figured that part out yet):
https://www.expresscomposites.com/cor60-239-034-ortho-resin-5-gallon-pail
https://fiberglasssupplydepot.com/Premium-Polyester-Resin.html

As for quantities I am going with 10 Yards of 50" 1708 fiberglass cloth
and 5 Gallons (i believe) of polyester resin
Also purchased a gallon of the deck non-skid paint (more than enough in my opinion)

and I have not figured out foam yet, still contemplating buying Terry's if I end up near Indianapolis this summer but not sure how much I should put under the floor and fill in the engine boxes