General Category > General Discussion

! Trailer wheel fell off on I-90 !

(1/4) > >>

Villager19:
Well after an amazing meet-up in Red Wing, my trailer wheel fell off while I was driving home this afternoon! The passenger-side wheel fell off just outside the Wisconsin Dells, while I was going about 65mph.

What would cause the wheel to come off like this? I could be wrong, but I think this trailer is totaled. The boat has some minor damage. I just bought some heavy-duty tie-downs straps for this trip and thank goodness they kept the boat on the trailer.

I was able to arrange a flatbed tow and when I last saw my boat, it was on the flatbed tow truck, on its trailer, as pictured. So I could use a little help with getting this boat home.

The tow truck driver is going to remove it from the flatbed tomorrow. Obviously the trailer cannot move backwards. They dragged it up onto the flatbed, ouch. I asked the tow truck driver what his plan is, and he is going to use a strap and lift it with a forklift, and try to lift it down by attaching the strap it to the tie-off points on the stern. Is it OK to lift the boat in such a manner?

Does anybody know of a trailer for sale for that would fit a CVX-18? I don't mind buying brand new. Reminder I'm in northern Illinois and the boat is up in the Wisconsin Dells. I don't mind driving a bit. I need something safe to get the boat back home.

Any idea how to get it on a new trailer once I find one??

Help, please and thank you!!

carlsoncvx18:
Sorry to here that hope your boat is ok. 

Must be the year for axel trouble.  2 yrs ago it was Cv16 hull cracks.

Hyperacme:
Maybe ...
Find a local (Wis. Dells) boat dealer, they should have a fork lift for unloading large outboard motors from trucks.
They could drag boat off flat bed and put on new trailer.

A Glastron trailer for a CVX18 has a load cap. of 2700 lbs.
You might want to switch to bunk, better hull support ...
Guessing a new one would be in the $3500 range.

Jason:
That is really sad. At least the boat looks ok. Switch to a bunk trailer. Better in every way. You could look for something used but you are short on time. Might be worth pricing out a new trailer.

Hyperacme:
Dealers don't have any boats to sell .. so might cut you a good deal.
Or call around .. dealer might have some used ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version