Author Topic: 1983 Glastron Aventura 197 FOR SALE  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Bernie Bergen

1983 Glastron Aventura 197 FOR SALE
« on: September 18, 2023, 11:37:50 AM »
1983 GLASTRON AVENTURA 197
MERCRUISER 488, ALPHA STERN DRIVE

MAKE A REASONABLE OFFER!  Water ready boat, can tow to meet new owner.  Really need to sell.
Possibly the only Aventura 197 still on the water in the USA.  Popular in Europe, but a rare bird in the US.  Located in Fond du Lac Wisconsin. Fits in a standard garage door opening!
I am third owner, and I have spent uncountable hours bringing it back to life.  Being a Texas fresh water boat, the sun had oxidized the gelcoat, but I was able to buff it back with 3M  Medium Compound and wax.  All hardware except the bow rail was removed for buffing.  Teak strips are refinished with lemon linseed oil as is the cabin door and bulkhead.
The interior is very nice, cushions are like new.  There is a 5 gallon water supply and sink and a hand water pump, it works.  A two burner alcohol stove is located alongside the sink.
Cabin side windows have new curtains, and I kept the original curtains.  There is a courtesy light on the bulkhead wall, and I installed a VHF ship/shore radio.  A table fills the space between the side cushions; it stands on a removable pedestal in the floor.  Front hatch opens for fresh air and access to the forward deck area.
The 488 MerCruiser 4 cylinder motor has fresh oil and filter, new Champion spark plugs, and the antifreeze appears clean and the reservoir is full.  I installed a new drain petcock on the seawater side of the heat exchanger to make for easy winterization. The motor has power steering and is a 4 barrel carb engine.  I have a spare power steering pump and hoses that go along with the boat.
Compression test August 10, 2023:  #1 - 145. #2 - 145, #3 - 140, #4 - 135  Engine cold, throttle closed.  Snap-On compression gauge.
The MerCruiser stern drive is original to the boat, Mercury Marine verified the serial numbers of the motor and drive as being sold to Glastron, and later registered at Riverhills Marine in Ft. Worth Texas. A well preserved Riverhills Marine decal is on the stern by the swim ladder. I replaced the driveshaft bellows, water pump impeller, and gear lube.  New decals on the drive unit. I have added a trim switch at the stern for easy tilting without climbing back in the boat. A 3 blade Stainless propeller is included.
The boat sits on its original Glastron trailer.  I totally disassembled the axle and springs, cleaned, repainted, and greased them before reassembly.  The spring perches have new nylon bushings installed.  Wheels and tires are only 3 years old.  It tows straight and true.  Lights were rewired by me.
The bimini top is like new, stores in a boot.  There is full camper canvas, literally new. The rear canvas window needs repair, a small crack from being folded for 40 years.  The side vinyl windows have shrunk to the point of not fitting the openings, to use the complete camper top these would have to be replaced. The rear canvas can be used with the camper top without those windows.
All instruments work and are backlit.  I added a period correct compass.  The AM/FM Cassette radio/player works, two new speakers have been installed in the battery enclosures.
Dual batteries with a battery switch. Batteries are 4-5 years old. Bilge pump works, as does the bilge blower.
The cockpit seats upholstery have new wood bases, and I replaced the rotted wood behind the side upholstery.  The motor box top has new wood and has been reupholstered. Stern jump seats have new wood bases.
I have a Wisconsin title for the boat and the Texas title for the trailer. I have a framed 2? x3? poster of an original ad, and it goes with the boat.
Two boat bumpers are included.  Boat has a new horn and a new bow eye.
I am selling because I have found that it is more boat than a 77 year old can comfortably move around; and we are not using it as I thought we would; there are other issues that need attention in my life, thankfully not health issues.
I feel my asking price is more than fair for what this vessel is.  If originality means anything, this is as good as it gets and the rarity makes it more so.  Delivery can be discussed, I am not immune to towing it some distance for a fair price.
My price is $7600.00   More photos available if requested.  Thank you for looking.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 09:53:07 AM by Bernie Bergen »