Author Topic: New stuff arrived at my house today.  (Read 2749 times)

Offline CVZ18Fan

New stuff arrived at my house today.
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:37:05 PM »
Well, it was a good day. For one, the G1900 made it to the house today. The original Glastron trailer it is sitting on pulled as nice as anything I have ever had behind the truck, it's a keeper. The only thing I don't like about it is the small little step areas in front and behind the fenders. Think I will redo those and make them bigger.

The seller put a whole bunch more parts inside than I was expecting. There was a whole gimbal assembly in there with trim rams also that had very large ends, bigger than any of the Alphas I have. Will look up the serial number and figure out what it is. Speaking of drives, I guess add one to the list I can't use. It is a 1.82 gear for a 4.3, super clean, feels nice and tight. Wondering if I just change the gears, it is in nice shape. Red, will the Alpha SS gears fit in the Gen2 upper??

I stumbled on these this morning locally on Craigslist and had to have them. This is one of my favorite wheels of all time. Got all 4 for $50, guy said come get them out of my dining room before lunch and you can have them for $50...yes sir! Will polish them and will have two spares. They are 15x7 with 4" back spacing.
I will just swap 6 lug hubs onto the Glastron trailer, no big deal, have a set in the garage anyway.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 08:29:50 PM by CVZ18Fan »

Offline WetRaider

Re: New stuff arrived at my house today.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
4 wheels like that for $50 is a nice score!

I like the look of that boat, too.  Congrats!
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:55:33 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, the wheels were surely a nice deal. Have to figure out what size tires to put on them. Actual trailer tires only come in a few 15" sizes. If I look at the light truck tires (LT), I think my choices will be a bit broader.

I pulled the cap off the upper this morning and the gears look perfect in every way. To bad it is the wrong ratio. Going to start an official rebuild thread today, I have posts all over the place.

Rich

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
Before you buy tires I'd make sure you can find a set of 6 lug hubs for a 3500 lb. axle. Generally 6 lug hubs mean at least a 5K pound axle which will have different(bigger) bearings than what is on your trailer.
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:23:24 PM »
Ok, I will have to double check. One way or another, they are going on there. I'll just swap the axle from the other trailer that already has 6 lugs on them.

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
I found them online for a 3500# axle, no worries. Thanks for the heads up.

Rich

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
Before I posted that I checked etrailer where I have purchased a lot of stuff from lately and they don't sell anything like that but sure enough eastern marine does.

As far as tires, many trailers come from the factory with LT tires. My big boat trailer needs new rubber next spring. If I can find an LT tire in the right size that can handle the weight, that's what is going on it. Otherwise I'll roll the dice with a more expensive, lower quality ST tire and hope they don't leave me on the side of the road.

I run a set BF Goodrich car(P) tires on the trailer under my CVX18.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 09:12:13 PM by CVX Fever »
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!