Author Topic: Transom Rebuild Article That May be Helpful  (Read 10731 times)

Offline wiliermdb

Re: Transom Rebuild Article That May be Helpful
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »

Made a pass by a locally owned lumber yard that provides 60% of the lumber to the home builders and they can get me two sheets (12mm x 4 x 8) of Meranti BS1088 "Hydrotek" for $48 per sheet delivered.

not familiar at all with that product, maybe you are, I would just check with them (if you don't already know) to be sure that it is not treated in any way. with a name like Hydrotek, I would think there is the possibility.

Not treated at all. It's just a name attached to the product since it's a true marine plywood. I had an email conversation with a distributor about it and he stated that every layer looks just like what you see on the outside. No voids or repairs. Each layer is a solid sheet.  I was put in contact with a guy in New Orleans, oddly, just an hour from me, who is an expert restorer of Chris Craft boats. I talked to him and he said it's the way to go. Excellent product to work with and very durable.  I've been invited to go see some of his projects. Has two from the late 50's he's working on now. One is nearly finished except for the seats. I found out from the lumber yard that for $20 more I can get a 10' sheet and I can lay the entire floor with no seams. May be worth the extra $20 for no seams.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 09:33:10 PM »
I use Duratec Hi-Gloss, and shouldn't need PVA or Wax. I called Duratec a couple times trying to figure it out. They thought I under catalyzed or over catalyzed. I went to Express Composites today and talked to Tommas. He had the same problem and added a little more color instead of 50-50 with the hi-gloss. he also said I might have been not putting enough on. I asked Duratec about adding wax. They said they recommended wax below the water line (didn't see that anywhere), Del uses wax with his hi-gloss for the same reason.  So I shot a test patch with 3% wax and 2% MEKP and 60-40 clear to hi-gloss. I think I will have to wet sand the bottom and re-shoot next week. when I try to DA it just plugs the paper up, but wet sands great.I need to get it straight before I flip it and do the top. one step forward, two steps back. If I get a hard coat on so I can buff it, in time the rest will cure. (I hope)

There I changed the subject
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline Jerry

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 01:36:37 AM »
I checked it 2 hours after shooting it and it's hard as a rock!!
Now sand everything down and another coat of clear.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker